The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Condensation of Water in Fuel Tanks - a myth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Condensation of Water in Fuel Tanks - a myth? Reply with quote

Just filled the fuel tanks of Halcyon for winter storage, like every winter since Hector was a pup.

Now I read an article that says condensation of water in a fuel tank over winter is a myth. Hmmm. Next we'll be told not to drain the fresh water tank. Crack!

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm

Guess it doesn't do any harm to fill those gas tanks (as long as they have a good stabilizer in them), but apparently not necessary.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Bill. In my personal experience there have been only two occasions where I definitely had water in a fuel tank. Neither of which resulted from condensation, and I keep my tanks pretty full but always with stabil added. I have a Racor fuel filter with the clear plastic "water catch bottom" in this boat and since that was added I've never once seen water collect. The Jenny B is moored in a slip so it gets almost as much in the water time as Halcyon.... Laughing

Did often get a slug of water in a previous boat because the seal around the fuel fill was defective and due to a crazy design the fill and/or the vent were often submerged in seawater for short periods. Sold that one quick! Also got a batch from a gas station that, later, was found to have badly contaminated tanks. Thankfully I was towing with my diesel truck....

Also, when deployed back in my "military daze" I'd leave a car for as much as 6 months without starting or moving it. Had batteries go bad, but never problems with fuel, so I tend to believe if you have water in your tank it's more because you pissed of the neighborhood teenagers than any other reason....

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
auxman

City/Region: Frederick
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Yacht Survey website and read the article. When I got to the bottom of the page I noticed the date that this article was posted. It was February 21, 2004, before ethanol was added to gasoline. From everything that I have read gasoline with 10% ethanol content has the ability to attract greater amounts of water and “phase separate,” or form two separate solutions in the gas tank. I wonder if the author still holds his same view point after the introduction of ethanol into gasoline. Auxman
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El,

It is understandable, but nonetheless regrettable, YOU ARE PUTTING HALCYON TO BED TOO EARLY!. I personally always feel a little better just knowing you two are out on the water (or road) somewhere, righting wrongs, teaching the unlearned, and keeping the faith.

Regards,

Mark

PS The Colo digs look darn special too!

El and Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark --

Thanks for the kind thoughts -- our reason for pulling out early this year is because we head out for Croatia in a few weeks and needed some time to read up before our trip -- so it ain't the lure of beautiful Colorado (we'll be camped with the bugling elk this weekend -- so will have a little Colorado) but the karst topography (fascinating to a geologist) along the Adriatic.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auxman -- did some checking after your heads up -- thanks.

"Historically boaters are told to leave their fuel tanks full in the winter. It may be more prudent to empty the tanks and thoroughly clean them prior use in the following boating season." From -

http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/ethanol_fuel_problems_for_boaters

Ethanol Fuel Blends Require Good Housekeeping?
"Pump out tank bottoms. If water is left in the tank bottom, phase separation can occur when the ethanol blend enters the service-station tank. With phase separation, an ethanol-water solution settles to the tank bottom. Depending on the amount of water present and the location of the pump suction near the tank bottom, the ethanol-water solution may or may not be delivered to the customer. An engine will not run properly if this solution flows into a vehicle's tank. Because the ethanol separates to the bottom of the tank, the octane level of the fuel is reduced and some of the front-end volatility is reduced-- thereby causing problems for the engine."
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill I think you are right about the new fuels and water contamination.... I installed two Rycors (your advise to have two separate systems) and I have never ever had any water in the clear plastic bottom of those filters... I think most water contamination comes from the fuel tanks in the gas station...
I like to drain my fuel when I put the boat in storage and refill with fresh fuel prior to an outing.... I like fresh fuel.

About yer water tank.....if ya decide not to winterise em, I'll help you drink the anti-freeze.... although it is hard for me to pour good gin in a water tank.. Personally I drain mine...throw in a cup of bleach and drink the gin.

Just got home from another motorcycle trip (actually I am hiding at the cabin for another couple weeks) flew to Cheyenne and picked up another old motorcycle and rode 3500 miles before I got home (the cabin) Had a super trip... camped along the way in a tent... petted a coyote in Wyoming... (three days on the road without a shower) Great Fun .... Even got to Reno to see Pounder at his balloon races.

Joel
SEA3PO
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: fuel and water Reply with quote

Dear Bill and El,

Sorry you are off the water, but glad to hear of your coming adventures. Pat, our son Brian and i are on the Erie Canal as I post this from Fairport, NY.

Our experience with empty tank storage was very good. Last Sept. when we stopped boating, the tanks were 1/8 full and well loaded with Starthon. When we started up this spring not a drop of water in the Racor and the Honda has been running well all season. After some Ches Bay cruising and crab eating this fall I plan to so the same thing. Plus the usual oil, filter and gear lube change. It worked for us.

Fred, Pat, and Brian Messerly

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the "empty the tanks" suggestions. Now how the heck are you
supposed to empty a gas tank? If I absolutely had to, I'm sure I could
figure it out. But, as noted, it's usually the fuel vent, cap or similar
that is the cause of the water.

Mike
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventures continue, whether on the water or off. The sailing magazines tell some wonderful stories of sailing in Croatia... maybe when you're done looking at the geology there you can charter a sailboat for El? Very Happy I look forward to hearing about your adventures there.

Regarding the condensation in the fuel tank... we were always warned of this with the 150 gallon tank in our coach, especially if stored in an area with large temperature fluctuations. I've always stored vehicles/boats with full fuel - add some Stabil and an additive to help remove water from fuel. Never had a problem. Of course, that hasn't been with ethanol. We'll get our camper out of storage sometime in the next week; I'll let you know how that worked.

Enjoy your travels and keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim

Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured the need to keep tanks full was an overrated myth. As James stated, I think the only time it would make any difference is with huge temp fluctuations over a long period. I run the tanks as low as possible on the last trip, add stabil, and refill in the spring.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do too.....after running them as low as possible....I syphon the remainder and put it in my truck..... it is pretty easy to syphon when the boat is on the trailer....

The water tank...I just hook a small clear hose to the sink gooseneck and pump until I get a good stream headed out and over the side and let gravity drain the tank....it's really easy but takes about 10' of 3/8" hose.

Joel
SEA3PO
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too concerned about water in my fuel but if necessary, I have a drain valve at the bottom of each tank. I can put a hose on it and run the hose out the drain hole in the stern of the boat. Raise the bow and I will get 99.999% of the fuel drained. Or if I suspect water in my fuel, I can do the same and just drain the water out. However my plans are to use the boat at least every four to six weeks during the winter and if I can accomplish this, I wont have to worry about the fuel becoming contaminated.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: