View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tom. No good deed goes unpunished. I'll try to find the Raymarine site for software updates. You are probably looking for the 4.25or26 update.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sc Tom, sounds like the culprit to me too. I think Raymarine should be called by one of you guys with the problem and find out how to "unupdate" it Rolling Eyes

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

23 hours ago
Tom Elliott

So after I finally updated my c-80 from v1.1 to 5.something this week end , the radar over lay stopped working. I understand that the c-80 with v5. will not over lay with out a heading compass of some sort??? what I cant figure out is why in the hell you would do that??? worked fine with out it before, so why change that?? what can I do to fix this other then buy a heading sensor???

about an hour ago
Raymarine

Hello Sir. Other than adding a heading compass, the only other way to get around this is to revert to an older software version. The decision was made to remove the ability to use chart overlay and MARPA without a heading sensor being present as a matter of both safety and performance. Without a constant heading reference, it is possible for the radar overlay to become misaligned with the chart, particularly at low speeds as the Course Over Ground by GPS is not always accurate at low speeds. Similarly, when COG is used to calculate a radar targets closest point of approach, it can also be inaccurate at low speeds. This increases the potential for a collision especially in low visibility conditions when radar and MARPA are most needed. If you would email me at james.f.mcgowan@raymarine.com, I can direct you to a link for C80 software, or I can suggest some different heading sensor or autopilot options.

so it looks like I go back to the old version or shell out for a heading sensor.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
You might find some more info here :-

http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com/2012/07/radar-overlay-heading-gyrations.html

Merv

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the ultimate solution for Raymarine quirks - GARMIN!

If we ever replace our electronics, it will NOT be another Raymarine system.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More here:-
http://www.panbo.com/forum/2012/07/arghhhhh-radar-overlay.html

Merv
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So for the classic C's software version 4.29 is as high as you can go and keep COG heading capability, and software 5.52 is as high as you can go on the classic E series. In theory, you might be able migrate backwards if you had the software, but Raymarine doesn't recommend trying this, and I certainly have never done this.

so it looks like I can only go as high as 4.29 and still have the over lay with out the heading sensor. problem is, and always has been, in oder to down load the new version you have to have a raymarine card reader right? I dont have one. Barry are you still there? can we get together and make a 4.29 version with your card?
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

PM sent.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading all the stuff that has been written on the radar overlay issue, it looks as if you can wait for awhile, it's coming back...

"Ben | July 22, 2012 1:58 PM | Reply
Bill Bishop has done a great research on this subject and just wrote it up for Marine Installers Rant:

http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com/2012/07/radar-overlay-heading-gyrations.html

Apparently Raymarine removed radar overlay with COG due to safety concerns but is planning to put it back in a future software update, though the new version will only work when your boat is doing over 2 knots."
Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading it seems more like a "legal liability induced knee-jerk reaction" than the usual dysfunctional Raymarine. Started with Furuno.

I can't see how anyone could have imagined a lawsuit when the damned things make you sign a release that they are "not suitable for navigation" every time you turn them on Shocked

I do have a heading sensor but I am not doing any upgrades, too many possibilities to screw up the settings that I have labored to get where I want them. Also beware of putting your cell phone or any other interference source near your fluxgate.

My radar overlay seems to start up with a different offset each time which I can only attribute to variations in my magnetic personality, so I have rapidly learned how to pull up the menu and calibrate with an object in a known position. No big deal. Yet another reason to run the radar under good visibility conditions every so often so you can be sure it's right when you need it.

I also run a Garmin with separate GPS and depth sensors in parallel as a back-up. Real mind boggler trying to remember the two different operating systems/ menus Rolling Eyes

M
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a more intuitive set of navigation gear in your boat is really the best solution. Compare the age of your Nav unit with the age of your computer or phone or tablet pc and you have an indicator of technological aging. When an item falls off the manufacturers website, it indicates they are no longer fully vested in supporting that unit and the "support" will go slowly or sometimes quickly downhill from that point on.

At least in my case, the $10,000 plus (2005) spent on Raymarine gear in Aurelia was replaced with $2500 (2011) of Garmin gear with basically zero loss of functionality and a big gain in usability and resolution of radar returns.

With so much aging nav gear in boats, these challenges are only going to increase if folks don't update to newer gear.

How much do you like your Ipads, Iphones, and Android devices compared to your old PCs and flip phones?

Now imagine the marine navigation equivalant.

Send me a PM if you need to be talked into it.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse

Last edited by Aurelia on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I know what you are saying and I think that all systems have their quirk. You also have to understand that my system is from 2004 and is a first generation of combined MFD. I think that over all raymarine did a great job with it and in leading the industry with MFD displays and integrated systems. That said I think that Garman passed them up a few years ago but with the new blood from Flir (?) we are seeing some great ideas. Chirp fish finders are the new rage and should be. Really interesting things in the FF area. Raymarine is the first ( i think) that allows you to link to your ipad or phone. This is a really great idea and big leap for raymarine. They are giving you the ability to NOT buy a second station and use your ipad instead. Think about that for a second. A company just gave you the option of not buying a second station for the fly bridge ( $1200 plus) and to use a device they dont even sell. Amazing.

If I was going to do it over again today from scratch I think I would have to look really hard at Raymarine and garmin for my charts/radar/autopilot needs. But when it comes to Fish finders I think that the new side finders with chirp and digital signal by Lowrance or Simrad are the way to go and I would have that on the back deck for fishing first and foremost. In fact I will most likely end up with that and just keep the current c-8- on the front helm until it dies, if ever.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best in long term support Furuno wins hands down. Their philosophy has been to be able to support the products they build for 10 years after they stop producing it.
360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea now Tom. You can now screw up your perfectly operating Ipad by linking it to your xzxxxeechhcyyy! Raymar stuff. Arrg. I hope Flir beat some heads over there, they needed it. I keep my boat raymarine free Still too many memories of retail selling it. A ton of
very upset customers
I run a Garmin 541 plotter. Nice When I get radar it will be Furuno 1643 (bombproof machine) or Simrad. I tend toward stand alone. One does need to upgrade every few years. I am not a fan of doing every little software update. Bugs get in there. George Thumbs Up
C-dore

City/Region: Marysville
Vessel Name: C-dore'
Photos: C-dore
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: using curser for distance Reply with quote

I finally found out how to use the curser to measure the distance and heading
when you put the cross hair on a object. Instead of using the ruler.

menu
data bar setup
configure
add data [at the left on the soft key]
data groups
curser position

the information will show up in the data bar when you move the curser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: