The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Priest Lake, Idaho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Priest Lake, Idaho Reply with quote

"Priest Lake lies at about 2,400 feet above sea level, and has beautiful scenery and abundant recreational opportunities. Cruisers might enjoy the dense cedar-hemlock forests and the wildlife, such as whitetail deer, black bear, moose and bald eagles. The stately Selkirk Mountain Range towers nearby and numerous streams tumble down the slopes."

"Noted for its clear water, Priest Lake extends 19 miles and is connected to the smaller Upper Priest Lake by a placid, two-mile-long water thoroughfare."

This sounds great. Has anyone cruised it?? Looks like Indian Creek, a part of Priest Lake State Park, might be the best launch and parking for the truck & trailer. Any ideas?? Anyone interested after the Pend d'Oreille cruise? Like maybe cruise August 25 to Sept. 1?

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Priest Lake, Idaho Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
"Priest Lake lies at about 2,400 feet above sea level, and has beautiful scenery and abundant recreational opportunities. Cruisers might enjoy the dense cedar-hemlock forests and the wildlife, such as whitetail deer, black bear, moose and bald eagles. The stately Selkirk Mountain Range towers nearby and numerous streams tumble down the slopes."

"Noted for its clear water, Priest Lake extends 19 miles and is connected to the smaller Upper Priest Lake by a placid, two-mile-long water thoroughfare."

This sounds great. Has anyone cruised it?? Looks like Indian Creek, a part of Priest Lake State Park, might be the best launch and parking for the truck & trailer. Any ideas?? Anyone interested after the Pend d'Oreille cruise? Like maybe cruise August 25 to Sept. 1?

Mr. Green I grew up fishing N. Idaho & WA, OR & Mont. I have not been to Priest Lake for 10 yrs. Last time I was, the road on the east side of the lake was a P.O.S. Winding, lumpy, not paved glorified skid trail! On the west side, Luby bay, Hills resort, Elkins resort & Kaniksu Bay are or were way easier access. Also while on the pond o ray subject if you launch at Bayview it is 37 miles to Sand point. Pend d'Oreille can turn REAL LUMPY REAL QUICK every major bay has a storm dock for public use, Granite Bay, Lakeview, Bayview, Garfield, Sandpoint, Hope, etc. I allways put in @ Garfield Bay about halfway up lake. Fishing is great between the twin Islands @ PriestLake, Jigs if calm, if any wind, dodgers & white fly @ 100-200" (right on the bottom this time of year) Have a Great time!!! Beer

Last edited by tsturm on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Cruising Priest Lake Reply with quote

Bill and El:

Diana and I spent a wonderful time at Priest Lake about 12 years ago. We had our Montgomery 15 sailboat and a 17 foot canoe as a dingy. We stayed at the Lion's Head Campground, which by the way has a wonderful history from the early years of movie making.

The channel into upper Priest Lake is slow going. Lots of logs in the water, and you need to choose your path carefully. Once in the upper lake, you are in a paradise. There was a mountain man rendezvous at the back country campsite when we visited. Nothing like the sound of a cannon in the morning to stir the blood.

Fishing was not that great. If I recall correctly, the Mackinaw have pretty well decimated indigenous fish populations.

All in all, it's well worth the trip.

Enjoy.

Steve
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to be there, but the 18th is my 45th HS re-union and the 19th I have a Qualifications Exam on the water for the CGAux.

Kate and I will raise a glass to you all sometime that week-end.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for input, folks -- looks like we will definitely be up at Priest Lake sometime this summer. Any and all suggestions from others are appreciated. David and Kate -- time slots are wide open for us -- if you care to come up thataway and can find a chunk of time, we'll try to match your dates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: