The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

9.9 kicker froze up while cranking...WHY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg S

City/Region: Auburn
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sandra Dee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: 9.9 kicker froze up while cranking...WHY? Reply with quote

Here's what happened: I cranked it several times to cold start it and motor was turning over fine (but not to the point of actually starting). Then it just locked up. Juice still seems to be getting to starter because you can hear the click when key is turned. I try to pull the rope but nothing budges.

Oil level is fine (changed last fall). Propeller turns freely by hand. 2003 Honda, 150 hours.

Any insight into this dilemma will be appreciated, especially if I can avoid getting my mechanic involved.

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly the build up of fuel in the cylinder has hydro locked the piston. The fluid can also be water if the engine is water cooled. Air can be compressed but a liquid (fuel) is almost impossible to compress without doing major damage. So the engine stops turning over.

If this is the problem: Remove the spark plug and crank the engine with the rope. If it has excessive fuel build up it will turn over and blow fuel out the plug hole. Clean up the mess. Dry off the plug and reinstall. Try to restart. If the liquid that comes out the plug hole is water you have a cooling system problem and a much bigger deal than if it where fuel.

This fuel vapor lock condition can be caused from flooding during starting or when the float needle valve (a tiny version of the float and valve in a toilet) in the carb sticks in the open position. The fuel flow will not shut off and the excess fuel usually goes right into the cylinder. Then the engine quits rotating.

Water would indicate a thermostat, internal gasket, metal failure of some sort.

The click of the starter could be a sign of high resistance/corrosion/low battery voltage combined with the fuel stuff above. A set of jumper cables will quickly eliminate a weak battery. If you get the engine started with the rope. Check the battery voltage and charging, connections and such for corrosion.

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it by chance slip into gear while you were trying to start it? I've had that happen with my old Honda 7.5 on a few occasions! I hate it when that happens! Rips the cord right out of your hands Sad
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendix [little starter gear] jammed or stuck in the flywheel ??
Marc

Greg S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Removed spark plug....dry. Took off flywheel cover and the gear teeth were indeed stuck in the flywheel. A couple of hammer taps freed it.

Was this my doing by not letting the flywheel stop moving before turning the key to resume cranking?
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will do it.
________
Dave
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg S wrote:
Thanks everyone. Removed spark plug....dry. Took off flywheel cover and the gear teeth were indeed stuck in the flywheel. A couple of hammer taps freed it.

Was this my doing by not letting the flywheel stop moving before turning the key to resume cranking?

Greg-

You probably need to lubricate the teeth of the drive/starter mechanism and lightly do the same to the flywheel. Don't forget to lubricate the engagement mechanism which is on the shaft and under the teeth. This mechanism causes the teeth to jump up and engage the flywheel.

On electric start motors, the similar Bendix mechanism under the teeth needs this lubrication as well. Otherwise, it can freeze up and refuse to engage the flywheel, just spinning around. Don't ask me how I know!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Greg S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lubrication tip Joe. It did seem a little dry in these places.

I also discovered, after a recent three hour drive to the coast, that my hydraulic steering was seized up. From an achived discussion on this forum, I learned you have to regularly remove and lubricate a rod.

I trusted my mechanic to do these things in the context of my annual maintenance. Do Honda-certified mechanics usually do these things without being told specifically what to do? At this stage of my life (late) I was planning to "outsource" all this maintenance, but my plan doesn't seem to be working.

I guess I'll search this site to start compiling a comprehensive list of stuff to lubricate so I can educate them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: