The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Air conditioning for R21-EC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Air conditioning for R21-EC? Reply with quote

I guess this is what the forum is for... does anybody have any advice or experience with air conditioning an R21-EC? I would especially like to hear from any members from the southern tier of states. We're currently running a battery operated fan in the pilothouse, but I'm not sure that would keep up for an overnight aboard.

Texas Steve
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot directly address a C Ranger tug, but I have used air conditioning in a 20 foot cuddy cabin. We used two different types--one was a cheap "Fedders"--one of the $89 Walmart types--in the doorway, with a Sunbrella fabric to close off the rest of the door. The other was one of the carry on units on a foredeck hatch. (much more expensive--and a pain to take on and off the boat.

There should be room for an air conditioner under some of the cabnets/forebunk--5,000 BTU should be enough cooling.

We sailed in the Caribbean for over a year total time, and never had air conditioning. But we were always anchored out, or at a dock where we had air flow. The wind scoops were enough, along with fans to keep us cool.

With trawlers on the Gulf coast, and our C Dories, we have air conditioning (the Tom Cat has an 8300 BTU RV air conditioner on the top--not sure that would look right on the tug.). We will run the air conditioning until 11 to midnight--usually by then the evening is cool enough that if we wake up, we just open up windows and hatches (with screens) and run fans, with out air conditioning. During the day, we find that the C Dory hard top is adequate for keeping in the shade.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I saw 21EC tug at Bulldog Boatwerks in Ft Meyers FL which had an unit inside a cabinet. Excellent installation. I assume it ran off an external generator. ex I use a Coleman unit.

I dont recall the name but see http://anchor-air.com/

Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Thank you, both! Reply with quote

As I've investigated this, there are units that run off DC power now. Marvair and Dometic both make one. I think the Fluid Motion folks prefer the Marvair because the motor runs directly from DC.

I appreciate the comments regarding day use and I've found Slow 'n Easy to be fairly comfortable with just a fan in the pilothouse. I guess the other option might be a portable ac unit that could plug into shorepower.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at a portable unit and keep in the cockpit?
http://www.rewci.com/poraircon.html

If you install an unit, please post an update.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pep Boys' portable A/C units are pretty good and about $100 off right now. I have the 12,000 Btu unit in my TomCat (pics in Tom-a-Hawk album), but the 9,000 Btu ought to do OK for you. These units take very low start/run amps compared to the older kind and do not need a water drain. They have wheels so you could wheel them in or about the cabin or off the boat when not needed. A simple shock cord holds them in place.

Good luck,

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DC units use 30 amps 12 volts DC (maybe a little more, from what I hear)--so a single group 27 battery would give you an hour and half or so.

I did run a 5000 marine air conditioner on an inverter run by six 6 volt battery golf carts. This was a total of 600 amp capacity. I could get about 4 hours of cooling. The DC AC unit would be better and would get 10 hours, but then you have to have an oversized alternator to charge the batteries back up--you could go with 4 golf carts and that would give you 400 amps.--or about 7 hours of air conditioning. You could run a 100 to 120 amp alternator to charge these large banks.
acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Ac Unit Reply with quote

I have just installed a A.C Unit in a 21 at the shop and is in deed a good one. It was provided from a company called marvair but does require a little bit of money and some time. I can take pictures if you would like of my installation I did at the factory. If you are interested please give me an email and I can walk you through it.
MitchelWitting

City/Region: Windsor
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: