The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Macerator pump out solutions and sink drain solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Macerator pump out solutions and sink drain solutions Reply with quote

I have seen several "solutions" for the pumping out of sewage from the holding tank out of the thru hulls in the side of the Tom Cat and CD 25.

I have used 3/4" reinforced hose, which fits very snugly about 3/4" into the thru hull and makes a water tight seal. I have so far used a 6 foot piece of hose which will then go into a sewer fitting at a camp ground, or dump station. A smilar piece of hose can be used for the galley sink and shower sump, all channeled into a sewer fitting or RV sanitary tote. This will allow the boat to be used at a camp ground and sewage discharged without finding a marine pump out station. It also allows discharge in our home hoist into a sanitary tote (RV item) or even into the water at sea, without risk of sewage getting into the cockpit since the discharge fitting is above the gunnel.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used a pumpout station. do you use the macerator to pump it out when you use the hose? Do you use the macerator when you use a pump out station?

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave;
All I have ever had to do in our area was to have the marina 'pump out' the holding tank by making sure the cutoff valve under the deck was not in the 'side' discharge position. This allows the marina's pumpout equipment to literally suck the contents out of tank, like a big wet/dry vacuum pump. The marina has to have the correct size fittting for the top access 'pipe'.

It is illegal to discharge sewerage in the Ches. Bay, so a lot of the marinas do have this ability. We just have to make sure their equipment is working.

Just don't have this cutoff valve in the wrong direct if you boarded for a spot inspection within these waters.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
The marine pump out station uses a fitting thru the deck plate as Art noted. Many of use "camp" in our C Dories when on the road. There is the problem of both sewage, as well as sink and shower water. The normal RV, has both black water (sewage) and gray water (shower and sink) tanks, which dump thru a 3" hose into a sewer hook up at the camp site, or thru a dump station. The use of this 3/4" hose allows one to pump out the holding tank , or by gravity drain the sink into standard RV site sewer connections (we will be making a "Y" adaptor which will keep the entire system "sealed" as it goes into the RV sewer fitting).

Our waterfront home, where the boat is kept on a lift, is 16 miles from the nearest marina, which may or may not have a working pumpout. Most trips we don't go to the marina, and have to pump out at home. With this hose, we can pump into a closed bucket or tote, and dump the content into our RV sewer system. It is illegeal to pump untreated sewage into any of the waters inside of ocean waters 3 miles at sea. Many times in the past, we have had to go out the pass, for 3 miles to pump out sewage.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a pumpout station a couple of times. The question I have about all this is whether -- assuming I am NOT going to pump overboard, but will pump out through the top fitting using a hand pump (as found at NPS facilities at Lake Powell) -- it assists the process to run the macerator prior to pumpout. I am operating on the assumption that the macerator grinds everything in the tank up to a slurry which might be easier to pump out. However, I don't know if (a) the macerator is even in the same plumbing as used when pumping out, and (b) whether using it makes any difference.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

That is not going to work in that the "Y" to the macerator is downline of the pumpout deck fitting. By the time the waste gets to the macerator, it is on the way out to the overboard discharge is my thinking.

The Valve has to be either one way or the other. If all you put into the holding tank is human waste and RV type toilet paper, there should be no need for maceration in order to pump out the tank.

It only takes a few seconds to empty that TomCat tank... about 9 gallons?

The pumpout hoses I have used at marinas have multiple-sized rubber fittings that seem to fit all common deck waste pumpout fittings

John

Last edited by drjohn71a on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: crappy topic Reply with quote

This might be a crappy topic but I did learn something Laughing
I didn't think about a 3/4" reinforced hose, which fits very snugly about 3/4" into the thru hull and makes a water tight seal. Thanks again
Dr. Bob.... You are just too CoolSmile
Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
It only takes a few seconds to empty that TomCat tank... about 9 gallons?

Brent (Discovery) helped me pump out at Powell for the very first time. It was a slow process, as it was a hand pump. and there was a lot of speculation as to whether there were "solids" Disgust which were impeding the process. I suspect that the particular pump we used was not working efficiently.

I wonder if using Bob's reinforced hose idea I could have used the macerator to pump into the porta-potti disposal sink?

Warren
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

I was kind of thinking the same thing since some of the marinas we visit have hand pump carts. So far I've managed to avoid having to use them.

Our little town has a community RV dump site which is open year 'round and Dr.Bob's idea would be good for that location. Thanks, Dr.Bob for another excellent tip!

John
Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so where do you buy a reinforced hose? Is this a "regular" hose with the fittings cut off?

What are they used for besides pumping out C-Dories? Wink

Warren
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubing I used was the standard re-enforced hose in 3/4" diameter, available at West Marine. What I first used was in my "hose" scrap bin. These hoses are used for pressure water systems primarly. I have used them for bilge discharge, raw water wash down, head intake etc.

I had a nylon fitting I was going to cut and file to fit the discharge fitting--but when the hose fit so well, it solved the problem.

I have used a macerator identical to what is in the C Dory to macerate and pump sewage about 25 feet thru a 3/4" hose from my RV to a sewer fitting at a home before I had a specific RV sewer dump, as I have at my home currently. Based on this, I believe that the pump might push it to the porti potty dump station at Powell. In my use at home, I there was plenty of pressure to pump the sewage to a "RV septic tote" which was about even with the deck level on the lawn. The porti potty dumps are about 3 feet above the deck, probably 2 1/2 feet above the fitting. I agree, the hand operated pumps at Powell are very slow--and that operating the macerator would be of no help. Do not run the macerator pump when it is dry--it will burn up the impellor.

We put our toilet paper into garbage bags in the head. Although it will disolve (both RV type and any cheap TP) in water, it does leave a fair amount of cellulose on the tank sides and can eventually lead to build up in the tank. Thus the only item we are dealing with is human sewage in the head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: