View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Did you register your dinghy ? Reply with quote

Awhile back the methods of affixing registration numbers were discussed and I posted this...As to registration, the Clark County Sheriff sent me the pertinent regulations for Washington State. Bottom line, it isn't necessary to register your dinghy if these conditions are satisfied (6) Vessels equipped with propulsion machinery of less than ten horsepower that:

(a) Are owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid vessel number has been issued;

(b) Display the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix "1" in the manner prescribed by the department; and

(c) Are used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose; Link HERE http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=88.02.030 Technically, section(c) means that you can't fish or take "excursions" in your dinghy
I talked to my local licensing agent and learned that I'll be required to pay excise tax to get my dinghy licensed. On a NEW boat the "Manufacturers Statement Of Origin" is used to calculate the tax and there's no avoiding it. If it were a used boat I could present any hand-written receipt and they'd be fine with it. So, I'm looking at $106.60 excise tax, $20.00 licensing fee, and a $20.00 titling fee for a total of $146.60 to license. Naturally there will be renewal fees each June. I'm now wondering if I shouldn't just register it as a dinghy (according to the regulations above) and accept the limitations imposed. That is, it is simply an "extension of the boat" to get me to shore and nothing else. No sightseeing, no fishing, no excursions. I guess the answer depends on how the strictures are enforced. This is where other dinghy-owners can help me. Please chime in with your thoughts.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon people, give the guy some answers -- and I need 'em too!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
nomadcruiser53

City/Region: Whitecourt
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Atlas Acadia 25
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: fishing Reply with quote

I know I'd be wanting to fish from the dingy on occassion, maybe even throw in the truck and haul it to small lakes.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did license my dinghy, and I used it for years in Puget sound with a motor on it. No official ever did give me even a glance.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
I never did license my dinghy, and I used it for years in Puget sound with a motor on it. No official ever did give me even a glance.

Did you put the mother vessel's registration # on your dink?

Warren
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Nothing on the dink, a blank canvas. But after awhile I did start keeping my distance from the park rangers over at Blake Island, after they started enforcing all kinds of water related laws.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferr the Look dumb and say what law? to the officer and or judge. I had always been told by the game wardens on the river that if a drift boat was under 15 ft then no regestion was needed regards less of h.p. There are some small sleds out there under 15 ft with 25 h.p. motors.
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Washington state regulations Reply with quote

May I quote from the Adventures in Boating Washington Handbook published by the Washington State Parks (2007)

You must have a Washington title, registration and decals to navigate operate employ or moor a vessel on Washington's waters Exceptions are

Vessels that are not propelled by a motor (canoes kayaks etc) and sailboats under 16 feet in length without a motor

Vessels less than 16 feet in length with a motor of 10 horsepower or less if used only on non-federal waters

Properly registered vessels owned by residents of another state or country and using Washington waters for 60 or fewer days

and then it goes on about how to do the numbers... This is from page 28

Costs registration 28.25 first time 16.25 annual renewal
Titling 5.00
Transfer of Title 10.00
Transfer of Title expired reg 9.00
Duplicate Title 5.25
Duplicate Reg 5.00

And it talks about Excise tax and 16 and under your exempt but it is
.5% or half of one percent of fair market value

So thats the deal as per the Boaters Handbook.

Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been asked, but where ever I'm going must be between my boat and the shore! That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on where you use your boat. It seems that many of the dinghies I've seen in the PNW have no registration # on them. We put the numbers on ours while in Florida last winter after having a "visit" from the sheriff's boat. I had the boat registered, just didn't have the numbers on the side.

It seems pretty inexpensive according to a the post above. Register it and be done with it. Then use in any way you want. (We have hauled our dinghy around in the motorhome.) Perhaps having that number permanently on the side would discourage someone from swiping your dinghy as well?

Best wishes,
Jim B.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of states require dinghies to be separately registered, and they are not going to buy the arguement that your home state doesn't requre registration. It may not seem fair, but that is the way it is.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last 30 years I must have been lucky. I've never been asked once about having my dingy registered.
I just recently received a cute little notice from the state of Washington that I need to pay excise tax and register our new inflatable.......they have to catch me first . I'll probably have to call Oldgrowth to come bail me out of the slammer. Then I'll plead insanity........it should work, lots of people think I'm crazy.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I got a packet too, I think it was from the dealer. It included the certificate of origin, an assignment from the manufacturer to the dealer, and a DOL title application. Regardless of whether I get it registered, I wonder if I should get a certificate of title. I never had one before for an inflatable, although I did get certificates of origin. What do other folks think about the advisability of titling the little inflatable? I can't think of any reason off hand to do that...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, in case any of you poor PNW'ers suffering from the terrible conditions and scenery blocking your view up there, ever decided to come to the Middle USA - here any watercraft with any means of propulsion other than an oar or sail on a kayak, must be titled and registered...

I'm sure someday our local lakes will be filled with ppl from up there coming here to enjoy the ability to see for miles without a mountain, hill, bump, waterfall, forest, etc....

Preparing for the Kansas tourist rush,

John
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Larry, I got a packet too, I think it was from the dealer. It included the certificate of origin, an assignment from the manufacturer to the dealer, and a DOL title application. Regardless of whether I get it registered, I wonder if I should get a certificate of title. I never had one before for an inflatable, although I did get certificates of origin. What do other folks think about the advisability of titling the little inflatable? I can't think of any reason off hand to do that...

Pat, if you ever go crazy and decide to visit your San Diego relatives, leave your dinghy at home. The Coasties get pretty hinky when it comes to unregistered or past due registrations around San Diego if you decide to play with your dinghy anywhere near anything big and grey. Otherwise, the likelihood of being stopped here in the areas where most inflatable dinghies are used is about as good as me catching a Marlin off the "Jenny B." Rolling Eyes Bigger worry would be theft.

Down here, titling just means another convenient source of tax income every year.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: