B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't allready, book mark this site, it could be a handy tool for planning your crossings. On that site you can also find predictions for most of the passes & bays.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=North+Inian+Pass%2C+Cross+Sound%2C+Alaska+Current

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay, now I understand, currents, dropoffs, exposure to the prevailing winds, makes sense. It sounds similar to finding a good anchorage in the Bahamas, either you're in too much current, too much exposure or too close to shore to swing 360 deg if needed. Your plan sounds good, pick a more protected anchorage at night, then maybe 'lunch anchor' where you want to explore for a few hours at a time. I appreciate your analysis, thanks.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken

Thanks for the current & tide update web address. As that example of today shows the currents in that area with wind and swells off the Pacific can't be taken lightly. We have Nobletec and when its working it gives us all of that and more. This year it wasn't working, so it was back to the hand book and estimating. That address could come in handy in such a future case and could also be well used for anyone else planning on cruising this area.

Do you frequently cross these passes on charters and if you do with those larger boats is it necessery the majority of the time to cross them during slack or flood.

All

These following copies of charts with routes and tracks of the Anna and Sister Lake area of Chichagof-Yacobi Wilderness gives a good example of why a person when accessing these kind of areas can't depend on charts or GPS and should have previous experience with shallow water running in heavy currents before attempting such a cruise.

These chart copies only show a small portion of our tracks due to nobletec not starting back up at different times and in the process losing much of our track record.

This is chart copy of the boat track and route accessing Sister Lake from Anna Lake, Chichagof Wilderness.

This is chart copy of anchorage during gale on Sister Lake

This is a chart copy of tracks and routes from Elbow Passage to Sister Lake.

These show if you just follow the gps and charts without thoroughly observing where you really are the planned destination is not going to be made.

Jay

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you did a little off roading there. You sure do a fine job of documenting your adventures.

We run through South Inian at will. The Coast Pilot and others say to give Point Lavinia a wide berth as there is a big uncharted rock that is only visable at low tide over there. Following the north side of the pass puts you square into a very nasty set of standing waves that appear at the west entrance of the pass on the ebb. Coming and going from Elfin Cove, we cut between the rock and Point L. and miss all the nastyness. Once past that bottle neck at the west entrance, the pass isn't to bad. It's a pretty narrow slot between the rock and the Point and wouldn't recomend anybody using that route that isn't intimate with it.
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and Jolee,

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. We love the photos and videos. And the Mokai Cool Wow. I received the DVD from Mokai last week and have shared it and your videos with at least a dozen people. Have you thought of adding a second Mokai? We may have to add at least one for our next trip.

We didn’t make it out to see Ken in Pelican or Elfin Cove this trip due to time limitations and small craft warnings on Icy Strait. We are planning for our next trip in 2009 and tentatively are thinking of towing to Skagway. Your trip on the outside is a real inspiration. Of course Elfin and Pelican are part of that trip Wink

Thanks,

Don and Dee
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, Thanks for the compliment on documentation. Learned how important documentation is on some of our earlier adventures when during telling a the story you could see the eye brows raise and the looks of disbelief descend. Wink

Thanks also for the good info on South Inian Pass. On our next trip will check out that narrow spot during slack, so we to can pass through if needed at will too.

Don and Dee, Originally two Mokai's was the plan. Jo-Lee has a severe disability in her right shoulder from a past injury, causing her very limited use of her right arm. If that wasn't the case we would definitely have two.

Hope you do make it to Skagway to start your next cruise. It sure worked for us and that northern section of the Inland Passage is still our favorite. love the road trip up there too. Been up and down that road so many times we're getting to know it a little to well.

Hope you can soon find the time to continue sharing this years cruise.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A personal thought on Grand Adventures-what they are and those that make them.

Life itself can be a Grand Adventure, but in my opinion very few live it as such. Could it be true for the vast majority the qualifications really are just getting out of their personal comfort zone. What seems somewhat strange to me is what Jo-Lee and I were doing and described in this thread was all about being in our comfort zone. Yes there are dangers to be faced and challenges to be met, but these are more the spice to life then an uncomfortable aspect.

To us a C-Dory boat is a very comfortable way to travel and explore on the water, but in itself does not make us or anyone else adventurous. In our life's spent on exploring the edge in what we deem to be our adventures the people we have met along the way mostly in these kind of places or on there way to and from are the ones we best related to and enjoyed most spending our time with.

The majority of those were cruising in sailboats, but one was a fellow cruising alone in a Bayliner whom we met in Pelican, Alaska. He had started out in Washington state around Seattle and was heading to Valdez, Alaska and had been held up for at least two weeks with the same weather systems that slowed us down in that area. He needed a much bigger window of fair weather to make it on up the outside coast to Valdez. He was around 70 years of age and with his Bayliner was having the time of his life. Some others were the Father and 17 year old Son kayaking from Sitka to Hoonah along the outside coast who we met at White Sulfur Hot Spring and were going right through these same rough weather periods. The Captain of the old fishing boat and his crew. The 70 year old man whose wife had died and He had moved to Pelican to start a new life fishing in an 25' converted sailboat. The list goes on and on with the same general enjoyment shared with each and this is just one cruise in a small area. On our other adventures going it mostly alone in the mountains or small boat on river and lakes in the far north the people met along the way form a good portion of the total enjoyment of such an experience.

Some of these people knew they were living a grand adventure and others knew they were on one. All would have recognised what drew them to be where they were and what they did set them apart from most people including those who enjoy their boats and things related to them in many other ways.

Jay
hammerhead

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: The Grand Adventure Reply with quote

Jay,

What an awesome trip, I will be heading to Homer in Aug to help a friend Pilot his Welcraft from Homer to Seattle. Hoping to make the trip in 2 weeks, wish I could take a month and do more as you did, however the job thing only allows so much time off. We will then load the boat on a barge to be shipped to his winter slip in San Diego. Really looking forward to our trip. Any suggestions on routes or charts we should consider will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all your logs and the videos. I will be hoping to post some good pictures after our trip. I do own a 22 C-Dory myself, with salmon season canceled this year and the cost of fuel, we just haven't been able to get out much except for some trout fishing on the mountain lakes. My truck is in the shop having the transmission rebuilt. another few thousand that was not planned for. But I look forward to abalone diving in the next few weeks with my son. Than Kyak with what looks like a jet engine is so cool where did you get that?

Smooth Seas and grat time to you my fellow Brat,
Doug Carroll Sacramento Ca AKA Hammerhead CoolSmile

hootlakootla

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Koona
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Wilderness cruising and bears. Reply with quote

I am an Arima owner that cruises much like you C-Dory folk. I love to see your boats on the water and often see some of you on the west coast of Vancouver Island in Clayoquot Sound.

I have spent much time looking at the Hunky Dory Alaskan adventure. The video brings back many memories of my own wilderness exploration.

Two things in the videos make me uncomfortable. One is the extreem braveness of this skipper. The video of going into Mirror Harbor is chilling for anyone that has made an ocean side entrance to a small uncharted bay. Weather, tide, and ocean condtions can absolutly ruin your day for a person without experince and local knowledge. I admire your guts but caution others that you probably shouldnt do this without exteme planning as Im sure this skipper did.

Second, Bears. While I love seeing bears in the wild I always make sure that I dont put myself in a compromising position. I do this for my and the bears sake. Bears are territorial and protective of young. I want to be sure that I 1) Dont cause an attack and 2) Dont scare the bears off. Bears, especially mothers with cubs have a hard enough time surviving without humans scaring them off their feeding grounds. Please be mindfull that this is the bears home and we need to give them plenty of space.

I hope we all get the chance for an adventure like the Hunky Dory and when we do we take all the precautions to protect ourselves and the wildlife we may encounter.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well-stated hootlakootla. Welcome to the pub! Thumbs Up

Peter
C-Dancer
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hootlakootla,

Welcome to the site also. I think I have viewed each of Jay's postings on the Alaska adventure and most of the videos. I can't think of an occassion that Jay or Jolee put themselves or any bears in danger. The one encounter you may be referring to is the occasion a griz was obviously stalking some nearby kayak campers and Jay took his Mokia out and intelligently discouraged the bear with some shotgun slugs. No one, including the bear was injured.

While I'm all for protecting the wildlife, when it is a choice between Smoky and human safety I'll choose the latter. Those kayakers were fortunate Jay was on scene with his cool head and his shotgun.

With regard to entering an uncharted cove from the ocean concerns, I don't make "not having been there" judgements. Having followed Jay's adventures and philosophy he has earned from most of us, I think, significant faith in his decision making and judgement.

Harper

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hootlakootla - welcome to the pub.

You make some good points in your post; however, by posting it in this thread, it appears you are somewhat critical of Jay and his decisions. I am sure you did not mean it that way but none the less that is how it appears. It may have been better if you started a new thread generalizing your concerns about bears and cruising unfamiliar and uncharted bays.

If I had to trust my life with the decision of a member on this site, Jay would be one at the top of the list.

Again welcome aboard and I hope someday to cross wakes with you.
_______
Dave
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug

Sounds like you're preparing for a really great trip and adventure. That's going to be a short two weeks. Seems like more time is always preferred. Like others said on your Homer to Seattle thread the crossing the gulf and the area before and after yakutat is the bigger of the challenges. I too would suggest Homer to Seward, Cordova and Yakutat then going in Cross Sound to Elfin Cove and on down the Inland Passage using information from the Douglas-Hemingway cruising guides and The Marine Atlas, volume 11, Port Hardy to Skagway. Also it might be worth it to have a copy of A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe. We picked up our copy through Prince William Sound Books, PO Box 1313, Valdez, AK 99686.

Hopefully August will be light on weather fronts, but from what I've read some running in foggy conditions will be likely. With good preparation and the boat well set up you should be in for a fantastic voyage. Will be looking forward to you sharing some or all of the trip with us. Would be interesting to know more about the Welcraft boat.

Do you do any diving, fishing or abaloneing in the Mendocino, Fort Bragg, California area. We were there over Memorial Weekend reliving memories of times spent in this wonderful area. In my younger-younger years abalone dived, spearfished and body surfed there before surfboards made there debut.

This is the website for and where I bought the Mokai http://www.mokai.com/

Wishing you smooth seas and fogless days on your adventure.

Hootlakootla

Welcome aboard. Yes, many more times the time spent on this adventure went into its planning and even so the inherent risks were fairly high, so its not the type of cruise all would care to make and this in itself makes the bears pretty safe from having to contend with us humans who do care to cruise these areas. In all our time spent in these remote areas we have only seen one other person ashore with bears and the group of kayakers who seemed pretty happy we were there. If you walk in bear country there is no way you can be sure of not putting yourself or the bear in a compromising situation no matter how bear knowledgeable you are, so like cruising in these areas if you want to go ashore its best to be prepared and knowledgeable about whats on land just like what you must contend with on the water. I am more knowledgeable about bears than most, but still see it as a another inherent risk and one I will be willing to take as long as there are bears and I'm able to enter their territory. These are wilderness areas not National Parks. The bears there are not a endangered species and though I don't choose to hunt its allowed in season.

Exiting Dry Pass, entering and exiting Holkham Bay with ice, fog and current and the entirety of reaching and exiting Sister Lake would all be ranked by me more of a risk than Mirror Harbor, though no matter the experience or planning trying for Mirror Harbor or anywhere in this area in unprotected water in high winds or over 10' swells would be taking a very high risk. On the day we exited Mirror Harbor the swells were between 10 and 12 feet or so the radio said when we finally could make contact and that I would not care to do again.

To go on a cruise like this takes more than getting the chance to go. Planning and precautions must be made to have a chance for a successful trip but there are no guarantees bad things won't happen. Certain levels of risk must be accepted and a determination made on personal ability to keep these risk as minimal as possible. Before attempting this type of a cruise a person should have also tested themselves in other endeavors to see if they have the right stuff. Though experience and planning are critical if you don't have it the chances of your beautiful dream turning into a nightmare increases dramatically. Overall I have had very minimal boating experience compared to the majority of this sites members, but in the tested for reaction to bad situations experience I have had more than my share.

Harper---Thanks much for sharing your opinion.

Dave-----Thanks to you too. Compliments don't get any better than that, especially from a person I have come to respect as much as I do you.

Jay
hootlakootla

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Koona
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay-

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Your adventure is riveting to me. I have been to many of the places in your SE AK journey but in much bigger boats. I also have been very fortunate to spend a few days in Red Bluff bay and I must say it is one of the most beautiful places I have been in my 40 + years of exploring. And the wonderful thing about this place is it is one of the safest places to visit on your journey.

The past 15 years I have explored the west coast of Vancouver Island in a small boat and I have seen a few C-Dories there as well. This is also not a place to go for the faint of heart but with the right planning and local knowledge these places can be as rewarding a destination as some you have shared in your Alaska adventure.

Also you are very lucky to have a willing shipmate and companion to share these adventures with. You are a lucky man.

-Hootlatkootla
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: alaska Reply with quote

Jay and Jolee,
Here i am on the Chesapeake, 35 years of exploring here, and nowhere near the end...but mostly, it is bucolic....calm, never too far away from what you need if a situation arises....and that is enough for me..

I find C Dory (and i hope Ranger) people have this wonderful ability to adjust their goals to boththe situation and their personal needs and sense of adventure.

I for one thank you for doing what you do...it may not be for me, but it is a testimony to what i call "real boating and cruising"....

terraplane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: