View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Naming Waypoints Reply with quote

I'm starting to enter waypoints from cruising guides into my RayTech RNS software (which is running nicely on Windows XP under Parallels on my MacBook). The software came with a Navionics CF card reader so I can look at my Platinum charts on my Mac. Way cool, but the Windows navigation graphics are very klunky when one is used to the Mac interface. I can also use the card reader to write the waypoints to a blank card, which I can then transfer to my E-80. Later I will figure out how to plug the MacBook directly into the SeaTalk network (just a matter of a ethernet cable but not sure where to plug it in to my system.)

Anyhoo, I am interested in learning what kind of naming schemes others have come up with for their waypoints. For example, if a waypoint is used for several different routes, how do you name it, assuming the name relates to the route name? And does the numbering relate to the direction? Etc., etc.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I name my waypoints but don't really have a formal scheme for that. Route related waypoints are usually name by a location - e.g "Entrance to Shipping Canal". Most of my other waypoints are fishing/crabbing or shrimping locations and they're usually named by some "historic event" or what they are good for - e.g. "Caught 70lb halibut here" or "good for lings". A few are simply labeled "keep away" to mark some danger that I identified on a previous cruise that is not marked on the map.
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll usually pick a 2 character abbreviation that means something to me, and
then name the waypoints after the marker or geographical point. SA -
Sassafrass river, SQ - Susquehanna, BR - Brewerton Channel going into
Baltimore (might have that name wrong)...anyhow. I was limited by
the GPS to length of the names I could use. I don't know about the
Lowrance...I've just been using the charts and blundering about. Need
to create some waypoints and make some simple routes.

Mike
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, I'm working off a much smaller screen than you are, but it may be that elaborate or lengthy waypoint designations will be as annoying onscreen for you as they are for me. I started out with a "system" identifying each by the region it was in, but found that when using my mapping SW on a PC to set up routes (to be downloaded to the GPS later), I did not need that information ... because I was never looking at two different regions at the same time. And, on my GPS (a handheld unit), those long handles were a disaster, for sure ... obscuring landmarks, and so forth.

In the end, I am using 4-6 character designators, often coupled with one of the OEM symbols (fishing spot, hazard, rock, turn point, etc.) and this works fine.

When under way, if I need to find a way point, I can use one of the "find" choices to pick out the waypoint I need, and have it brought up on the screen, so I can reassure myself it is the one I want before hitting GO TO.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that makes sense. I am using the Raymarine RNS software which lets you make the waypoint names whatever size you want. Although I want short names on the screen, I would like long names on the PC when I am assembling waypoints into routes. I have a book of waypoints that just uses numbers and I suspect I will end up using those for the reasons you suggest. I can always refer back to the book when I am at my computer.

There was an article (which I forgot to save) in one of the local freebie publications that described a much more elaborate naming scheme.

This reminds me of back when I worked in the database world, it was considered bad practice to use "intelligent keys" -- keys that contained information about themselves in the structure of their names. We felt that eventually such key names would no longer be intelligent and could, in fact, be misleading. So, another argument in favor of yours.

Thanks,
Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: