The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25' Fisherman Model????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: 25' Fisherman Model???? Reply with quote

Very Happy I presently have a 24 yr. old 22' classic style CD with a helmsman seat on both port and starbord (no table), a porta potti(for wife), berth area for laying fishing rods and some storage compartments for fishng miscl. "stuff". I would like to upgrade to a slightly larger boat(preferably C-Dory) but do not need all of the "fluff" and short rear deck that the new 25' contains. We do not party on, cruise on or cook on our boat. We fish on it, wife "wees" in PP, we use navigation/depth finder/radio electronics. A fish box would be wonderful as would be under seating cabinetry for storage. Also extending the bow rail to the back of the shortened cabin would be a great safety feature for getting up on the bow deck.
Would others consider a stripped down short cabin model of the 25' CD for their next purchase. No marine toilet, water tanks/sink, closets, cook tops, water heaters etc.
The price would be much more reasonable for us fisherman and the lighter weight may allow for a smaller engine to power it and improving fuel economy.

Although not a boat builder I would think that the hull mold would be the same and the cabin/roof mold could be plugged to make a short cabin model.
Ideas/suggestions may persuade CD to consider making this type of boat.
I am just throwing this out as an idea. I definitelty would be interested and willing to put $$$ down on one today.
Thanks......Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how much lighter the "angler" 25 would be--there would have to be a deck mold for the cockpit floor, where the cabin now is. That would be almost as heavy as the cabin. (The 25 uses the hull as cabin sole as does your 22). I have a 130 on the 25 and doubt if one would be happy with less hp on that hull, even with a thousand lbs less weight. The railings would be a hinderance, unless you widened the side deck. Probably the most "rational" way to do it, would be a cabin molded from the 22 angler, and custom build side decks, which would be wider--Probably have to make the foreward part in several segments--the foredeck first, since it is longer and wider than the 22. Then the cabin house, finally a new mold for the cockpit floor, or make your own cockpit floor. Probably be a good DIY, if the company was willing to sell the "parts". Many companies have done this in the past...
Good fishing!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. You always have informed and logical suggestions and they are appreciated.
Not being a fiberglass handyman or a boat builder doing it myself is not an optiion. Maybe 25 yrs. ago but stiff/sore joints stopped all that.
I know railings are usually kept within the rubrails to prevent railing damage when docking, like against piling etc. I could have those made locally to my specs.
A lower priced and more functional 25' C-Dory was my intent. The CD quality is what I was trying to obtain although the 25' you bought seemed to be lacking in that dept. Do you think that has had any effect on the sales of 25 footers?
My other choice is a Parker but there are not many available up here and I would like to stick with a CD. Parkers are not as economiclal to operate as a CD either.
Jack.......on the trailer today, water too rough to troll. A 25 footer would possibly allow me to go out.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack I hear you about physical limitations, and I suspect my days of serious modifications are over. However, it might be possiable to get a person off season to do the work in Alaska in exchange for fishing time!

It would be interesting to see what people think about the seaworthyness of the 25 vs the 22. I am not entirely sure that the 22's ride is not that far from the 25, but I haven't run my 25 enough in rough water to know. (The first time, I was limited in that the trim tabs didn't work and I did't push the engine because of question about water pump impeller). The self bailing cockpit is a plus in the 25, but then you have the cockpit floor raised up about a foot. I think that you could do the modificaton of the cockpit floor very easily, and just go with the molded floor that exists, and extend it, or even make your own floor--that would probably be the easiest part. The side decks might be a little more of a challange, depending on what could be premolded. The cabin house would be fairly easy.

I have thought about flaired decks which were over the side of the hull, to give more foot room on the deck. This is done on houseboats. Yes, the railings could be flaired and give enough free room for the feet, but any railings would still be at a level which would "clip" a person. I have had boats with very secure railings--but these were 40" high and 1 to 1 1/4 inch stainless steel welded all of the way around the side decks and bow. This is much more substantial than would be practical in a C Dory.

Yes, you could definately make a boat lighter than the factory boat. As for the basic hull construction. I think it is still sound. I have not yet had a chance to see a new 25 which is in our area. But the problems in the 2003-2005 boats was due to lack or appropiate sealing, to compromising on materials rather than construction techniques per say. Only time will tell. Certainly the Angler 25 is a good concept, and my personal opinion is that it would be more popular than a Center console 25.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack-

Not to hyjack the discussion, but, from what you're looking for, you can have it custom made at Radon Boats.

They have a fantastic reputation, and are used by fire departments, police, fish and game enforcement, etc. .....anybody that wants an indestructible boat.

They are usually I/O's, though, and have powerful deep-V hulls.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Radon boats from commercial ab diving--really tough boats!
Very well thought of in the commercial and fishing world.
dogon dory

Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
Sounds like what you are looking for is one of the old CD27s. Someone on the site (I forget the name of the boat) removed the outdrive and installed an outboard bracket.

That boat would be Haeleigh's Comet, and the article on the conversion is HERE.

Joe.
dogon dory

Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf-Joe,
Thanks for the suggestion of the Radon boats. I am aware of them but that is not what i am looking for. I want to stick with a C-Dory due to it's utility, quality, more reasonable price and economy of operation because it is not a deep V hull design. Also the fun of remaining in the CD family is of interest to me.

Haeligehs Comet is an interesting boat. I followed it's developement through this site when it was rebuilt. He did a fantastic job on it and invested a lot of time and money.
A comment made to me by Roy Toland, the designer of both the 22' and the 27' C-Dory, has stuck in my head for a long time. When I asked him back in the 80's about the performance of the 27' compared to the 22' he said that the 27' was not his best effort. End of story for me.
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that there isn't more interest in a fishermans model (short cabin)of the 25' CD.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack... Much like you I have and had been asking C-Dory for about 5 years to build such a boat from either their CD25 when they were about to re-introduce it, when they came out with the updated CR-21-EC & CR25...now the Ranger Tug 25...for an Angler version. I wanted to stay with C-Dory on this boat. As things have changed and progressed, and from the answers I received from them after owning 3 C-Dory boats.... I was told it was not going to happen...so, I looked elsewhere.

Take a look at the Rosborough RF-246 Custom Wheelhouse.

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/custom_wheelhouse.html

I am putting one of these together with some custom work as we speak. Will send you and any others interested pics and talk in time, but right thru this gap, long hours in the shop, and much travel. Things will slow down for a bit more emailing/web time in about a month.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Since Byrdman confirmed that C-Dory is not building the boat you want...you may also want to check out an Aluminum Chambered Boat. http://www.acbboats.com/

They're a bit pricey, but living in Alaska it'll be the last boat you'll ever need to buy. Definitely on my short list of boats to consider 'when' I start to look for a replacement boat, which I'm not doing...I just love looking and dreaming.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
I just love looking and dreaming.

And the SBS / Bratfest is the perfect venue for that! Laughing

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: 25 ft fisherman model Reply with quote

Another way to gain length in the cockpit AND keep that great cabin is to do the motor bracket mod. This could eliminate most of the splash well giving another foot and a half of open cockpit. I am in the planing stage currently but will be taking this on shortly.
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: