The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Durabak, Line-X or Rhino Liner???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beartrack

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Durabak, Line-X or Rhino Liner??? Reply with quote

I typed this up once and on "Submit", lost it so let's try again. Smile

I'm looking into getting the cockpit linered. This is to help seal a few stress fractures in the surface to help prevent any water from getting into the core (after I have the current gas tank cleat holes repaired later this week for the water damage I found there several days back), plus to dress the cockpit up a bit. So I want to go in some color other than black, probably light grey or tan.

I'm looking so far into either Durabak, Rhino Liner or Line-X and while I did a search on this site, so far I can only find references to folks that planned on using one of them on their boat, but none that reported back on it later. So since they are a pricey step (the Line-X and Rhino both run about $1,000 to $1,500) I was hoping to get some input beforehand from folks up here on the site.

Here's what I've found so far in my research:

Durabak:
Pros: Can apply it yourself; Comes in a wide variety of colors; Can repair it yourself if needed; Comes in both smooth and non-skid versions
Cons: Having used in on a truck bed myself, I know it tends to go on very thin, even after 3 coats; Also not sure how well it actually waterproofs the surface as it seemed a bit porous on my truck bed and because of that not sure how stain-resistant it would be

Rhino Liner:
Pros: Softest on the feet; Comes in colors, They have a new mix called SolarMax that's supposed to be extremely UV- and fade-resistant that's not supposed to need any top-coat for UV protection; they also went to a Nation-wide warranty program
Cons: Expensive; their warranty apparently only covers application on truck beds and is not covered when it's applied on a boat!

Line-X:
Pros: Comes in colors, They have a new mix called Xtra that's also supposed to be super UV- and fade-resistant that's not supposed to need any top-coat for UV protection
Cons: Expensive; their warranty apparently only covers application on truck beds and is not covered when it's applied on a boat! Many of their shops only spray black so you have to go to one of their "Master Shops" to get it in any colors at all

Anyone had experiences with any of these 3 in their boats yet? Thanks for any info!

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience, but do you have any info on how heavy this stuff is?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was surprised to read Rhino won't warranty on a boat! I've lined my 2 truckbeds with Rhino and sons knocked a hole in the first truck bed clear through the metal -- they fixed it immediately under warranty -- wonder if that's one shop to another's call whether they warranty. If not, I wouldn't have anyone do anything that's not covered! -- The outfit in Sherwood had pictures of boats they'd done...looked great! That's the only variety of the spray in liners I have experienced.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Caty
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into a product called Kiwi Grip? I am going to redo the non skid in the cockpit of my 19. My brother has redone the decks of two sailboats, one 22 and one 30 feet. He is very impressed. Don't know if it will meet your needs, but here is a link.

www.pachena.com/index.html

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both Rhino and Line-X, and can say with lots of experience and time with both in truck beds that the Line-X is superior for truck beds over time. At least the products they were selling 3-10 years ago were.

With that said, I think Rhino would be more owner friendly in a boat if carefully applied. The Line-X feels like 80 grit sandpaper on your knees if you crawl around and it does NOT change it's characteristics over time. The Rhino, OTOH, loses it's initial "sticktion" (ability to keep things from sliding around) in a few months here in SoCal as the material hardens over time, but it keeps it's finish nicely and is easy to crawl on.

One caveat with Rhino; it's nicest (small closely spaced splats) finish is very spray operator dependent and a poorly or sloppily sprayed bed or boat will be that way for a long time!

Good luck

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Vee [one of our boat lines] has been using Rhino Liner with the white U.V. topcoat for a couple years now . Its nice on the feet ,seems to hold up well , although our charter fishing customers have had to reapply topcoat after a hard season of fishing . It is expensive , but makes a good, soft, strong, flexible surface . I have one customer that lined a flats type boat 3 or 4 years ago . Its the base product with no color, with no topcoat [sort of a gold color] and is still in fine shape . Thats the oldest one I know of . I would not hesitate to apply it to my own boat .
Marc

Beartrack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi wrote:
Have you looked into a product called Kiwi Grip? I am going to redo the non skid in the cockpit of my 19. My brother has redone the decks of two sailboats, one 22 and one 30 feet. He is very impressed. Don't know if it will meet your needs, but here is a link.

www.pachena.com/index.html

Robbi

Interesting stuff - wondering what the difference is between this and Durabak? I've sent them an email and will report back if they reply. I did notice in their FAQ section though that they state it isn't intended to provide a waterproof barrier:
"KiwiGrip is not formulated to be a waterproof barrier. Seams will need to be caulked and taped as appropriate, and a waterproof barrier laid down if needed, before KiwiGrip is applied." ... so it might not be the right product for me since I'm hoping to provide an additional level of protection from getting water down into the balsa core.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine, Charles Culotta, esq I believe is one of the first people to use similar materials on his CHB 45. His experience is at:
http://www.geocities.com/charlesculotta/teakdeckleaks.pdf This was in 1999 Passagemaker, and I have been on Charle's boat several times.

There is a lot of information on Trawlers and Trawlering because of the problem with leaking teak and fiberglass decks on Taiwan boats.

One of the summeries by Martin Veiner on June 7 2004, included the following comments: "Do contact Danniello corp for a
product that you can apply, 888 370 4333."

"Ultra-Tuff, a water based nonskid and waterproof coating.....Application was easy with a roller and
water cleanup. It costs about $50/Gallon and the coverage is about 50 sq
ft (2 coats) per gallon. web site: http://www.ultratuff.net/

"I just finished an application of Durabak, a similar compound with the
same roll-on ease of application. Mine cost about $140/gallon, and
required xylene, a difficult to find solvent." (Xylene is available at most hardware stores).

"Ultra Tuff (Tuff Kote) collects dirt. The decks do not wash off
automatically with a rain shower or a rinse down. This coating stains very easily, so I am finding stains just about everywhere. Dark bird poop stains the coating. The longer it is on the boat, the greater it stains. After you wash it off, there is a kind of purple stain on the coating. This seems to fade with time, but it can be annoying."

Several people have also complained about staining with the water based products. From what I have seen on several boats and heard from others is that the truck bed liner is tougher, and a better sealant, but that if you want non skid, then the Durabak or Tuff Kote is good, but not as thick, cheaper and easier to apply. But there are reports of the Durabak also staining and one person felt it remained slightly "tacky" even after a year. But ther.e are reports that some folks have no stains with Durabak and stains with Line-X--so go figure.

What I have done with decks in the past, is to fill all cracks with epoxy, after "V" out with a Dremel tool. Then roll on a coat of thick epoxy primer. Then a coat of two part Sterling (Polyurethane) with glass beads suspended (to give the non skid) and a second coat of Sterling with no beads. The boat I did this on, was 20 years old when I did it, this finish has been on for 15 years and had one more coat of Sterling after 10 years. The coats of Sterling were rolled on with a short hair roller

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Line-X in my truck bed. When I researched the liners it seemed to be the best. I heard that the Rhino stuff is soft and tears easy.

Scott
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartrack,

Here is a thread on Gamefishin.com that talks about a bedliner called LynTrux.

I haven't used it but it might be worth checking out.

Beartrack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
A friend of mine, Charles Culotta, esq I believe is one of the first people to use similar materials on his CHB 45. His experience is at:
http://www.geocities.com/charlesculotta/teakdeckleaks.pdf. This was in 1999 Passagemaker, and I have been on Charle's boat several times.

Hi Thataway! The link seems be broken - at least for me tonight. All I get is "Sorry, the page you requested was not found. " Any chance there might be a typo in there somewhere?
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the "." at the end of the URL.

Warren
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Warren. The link is fixed, without the ".". It works correctly.

Take care,

Bob
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Rhino sprayed on the deck plates last year with the light grey color-- Looked great!--- within two weeks they had turned an awful, blotchy green color--- kinda reminded me of when I used to get sea-sick.
When I took them back, the applicator said "yea- thats what they do. You need to pay more money and I'll respray the color and add a UV blocker."
I told him that he never said anything about needing a UV blocker over spray. He said "If I did you wouldn't have had the work done."
I'll never use rhino again!!
That and it added about 30 pounds total to the decks.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea...That is an awful looking color...kinda makes me think about you getting sea sick.... Those deck plates are in my boat now..(salvage from Fishtales).... I covered em up with matting as the color is plenty awful.... I was amazed at the Rhino dealers response...they were so casual about "sure they faded" and "if you pay us another $300 we'll respray with the correct stuff"

I totally agree Rhino is a rip off....probably a good product.. jerks for dealers....

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: