The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

running lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odyssey V

City/Region: WNC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: odyssey V
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: running lights Reply with quote

Last night was the first night ride on our 25 cruiser
We went about 5 miles to see the fireworks at the Moose Lodge on our lake
Going was no problem but returning it was difficult to see because the white running light was too bright and lit up the bow
I tried to lean out the window but the starboard light was right there also too bright
Has anyone had this problem?
Anyone moved thier running lights?
Thanks Tom

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tom Cat white all around light is aft--and you could put yours aft also. But the best solution is to put a simple shield under the light--it can be several inches in diameter and a mat black, so that no light is cast on the foredeck. I have not run my CD 25 at night, but immediately have identified that as a potential issue. You can also buy all around lights which have a very narrow band or illumination foreward.

Another option is to put grey foam on the pulpit and railings (the foam insullation used on piper during the winter)

You could move the red and green, but then you have holes to patch--and the all around needs to be at least a meter above the red and green. I have also put combination bow lights on boats under the pulpit upper railing, that gets the light all of the way foreward and so that there is no reflection on the deck or railings.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel's anchor/32pt nav lite was positioned just above the cabin door and forward abt 12". This was done at the factory at my request. I do not have any problem with this lite underway. Another method would be to mount this lite on a RADAR arch. The trade-off to my location is it restricts the placement of any dinghy on the roof.

I'm sure there other methods, such as a replacement lite head. The model I do not have at my fingers, but they look a hamburger. They are avail at Boater's World and West Marine, to name a few. I think PERKO makes them.

Good luck in the search.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that with the running lights on the white all around light was also on as it is when used as an anchor light. The switch is set up for the correct configuration which is the rear half of the light only to be on with the running lights. I ran an extra wire to the lamp when installing the Radar arch and had the factory hook up the switch correctly when in for service. Actually for boats our length, it is permissable to use an all around white light underway but why not do it right since all the parts are there?
It solves the problem of white light on the foredeck.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we had the same problem and to boot, the all-around was blocked from aft and much of the side by the radar and arch. We mounted a taller mast onto the center top of the radar arch via a ratcheting mount so that the mast can be layed back when underway, keeping the light off the bow and still being high enough to be visible to other vessels. There are some photos in our album.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, what are you using for a foreward white steaming light if you are only running the aft 135 degrees of the anchor light? Did you install a separate 225 degree foreward steaming light--and if so where did you put it? Looking at your photos, I only see the single (probably two bulb) light on the radar arch, no separate foreward white light.

My Tom Cat has its single bulb 360 degree light installed at the aft end of the cabin top.

Thanks
Bob Austin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: