View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: New to the site & C-Dorys - help woith Wallas stove deci Reply with quote

I just put my money down on a new C-Dory (22-ft, green, Honda 90) and registered with the site, which has been a fantastic source of information. Several boat show visits and the enthusiasm of C-Brats convinced me this was the way to go well before a sea trial - even nailed down a slip before ordering the boat!

Although the pub has answered a huge number of questions for me on options, I need help with the decision between the standard stove and the Wallas. I was ready to go with the Wallas and extend the boating season, but the dealer tells me that the Wallas stove takes a while to heat up and puts a lot of heat into cabin while cooking - fine during the winter, but not so great in the hot/humid summers here on the Chesapeake. So here's a newbie question - can the Wallas be used for cooking without heating up the cabin, and how big a deal is it? I can still change my order, but I could use any advice from experienced folks out there.

Now, while waiting for some help, all I have to do is figure out a name, decide what kind of electronics to buy and all the other fun stuff!

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site & C-Dorys - help woith Wallas stove Reply with quote

Hey, John! I sort of recall those hot muggy Eastern summers, was in Moorestown, N.J., from 1970 to 1975...Now back home in Washington State! I have a simple solution for you. GET THE WALLAS, extend the season. Then go down to Target and buy their little Greatland butane stove. Use the Wallas for heat and cooking when it is cold, use the little Greatland for cooking when it is hot! The little butane stove only costs about $30 as I recall, and comes in a nice little case that is easy to stow. You get the best of both worlds. Here is not there, of course, but we would have been SO sorry not to have purchased the Wallas!
Bluecrab wrote:
I just put my money down on a new C-Dory (22-ft, green, Honda 90) and registered with the site, which has been a fantastic source of information. Several boat show visits and the enthusiasm of C-Brats convinced me this was the way to go well before a sea trial - even nailed down a slip before ordering the boat!

Although the pub has answered a huge number of questions for me on options, I need help with the decision between the standard stove and the Wallas. I was ready to go with the Wallas and extend the boating season, but the dealer tells me that the Wallas stove takes a while to heat up and puts a lot of heat into cabin while cooking - fine during the winter, but not so great in the hot/humid summers here on the Chesapeake. So here's a newbie question - can the Wallas be used for cooking without heating up the cabin, and how big a deal is it? I can still change my order, but I could use any advice from experienced folks out there.

Now, while waiting for some help, all I have to do is figure out a name, decide what kind of electronics to buy and all the other fun stuff!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pub, you'll enjoy your boat just remember, you have to push the window forward before you unlatch it. Smile

get the wallsa now or you'll be wishing you did later, trust me. The booze stove is decent for cooking but slow to heat things up. Like Pat says, buy a little butane stove or a BBQ and do most of your cooking out back.

just wishin for a wallas,
B~C

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the wallas- it's cheaper to get it now than later. I am in So. Cal and thought I would not need the heater option-- I kick myself plenty for not getting it installed at the factory. I will now have to pay more for it and install it myself to boot. I know the initial cost is a bit choking but what the heck, it'll add maybe $5 max to your monthly payment-- if that. I use a magma grill for most of my cooking anyway- except for coffee first thing in the morning.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY THE WALLAS NOW. To answer you questions about functioning, the left burner throws out twice as much heat as the right, and the unit as a whole throws out the same heat, whether cooking or heating with the top down. The exposed part of the top can be comfortably touched by the hand during operation. You'll sometimes find yourself underway, with the heater running. In the summer, there are times when it gets hot inside the boat, but that's because you're inside an enclosed space. The only time you'd use the Wallas then is for lunch, and you do have the option of keeping windows and the door open, or even eating cold cuts. Breakfast or dinner, I've never found it so hot inside that I wanted a different means of cooking.

It's warm up time is not particularly long, although it does take a while to shut down, because it has to go all the way through it's cooling cycle. But, it's all automatic, so ...

For fuel, go to any gas station which sells a volume of K-1 kerosene, and you won't have a problem. Here, that's East Coast. I just finished burning some which I'd bought in October, and it was still clear. You can use diesel in a pinch, but it smells if the wind blows wrong, and doesn't last while stored.

Check out site references to the WalMart griddle, which is a great fit.

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluecrab,

Agree with all previous posts regarding the Wallas. I use the Otter all year round, and it is great to be out on the water when everyone else has put their boats away for the winter. Wallas stove/heater adds a degree of comfort that is worth the extra expense. I've used only diesel in mine and have not noticed any odor problem, probably because it vents out the side and anytime it is cold enough to use it I have the door and windows closed. Another advantage of the Wallas over alcohol stoves is it doesn't cause condensation to form inside the cabin.

Looks like there will be a C-Dory gathering in Annapolis area June 19-20 weekend. Hope you can make it on your new boat!

Best wishes,

Tom

Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WALLAS !! 'nuff said. (Except for thumbs up on the K-1 kerosene)
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- what a terrific response! I've changed the order to include the Wallas. We take delivery in mid-May, so I've got the June 19 Annapolis gathering on the calendar!

This is an incredibly useful site, by the way - congratulations to the administrator and to all of the participants. I haven't seen any other user groups that come close.

Thanks for all of the help. I know I'll have many more questions to come....

John
Crab Cake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all, particularly John on Bluecrab,
Following the brats with interest since I am
looking seriously at a 22 and will do my boating
right down the river out of Rock Hall. Would be
interested in anything you could tell me about
your experience at Cutter since I assume that is
where you purchased, and it is where I will be
heading soon. (Actually used bluecrab as a web
signature a few years ago!!!) Hope to hear from
you. STeve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: