The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brand new CD25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Brand new CD25 Reply with quote

My IRA Jerry -

I was looking over the pictures of your new CD25 in production that you put into your album. I really like the way the cockpit hatches are being laid out. It is going to be almost exactly like the floor arrangement in the older CD 25's (of which I am particularly fond). The head with the holding tank beneath looks like the same one that is in my boat, too.

Did you come up with this plan, or did Les and/or C-Dory work it out for you? It sure seems to be a better arrangement, and provides a whole bunch more usable space.

You must be getting pretty excited about now. She's a beaut!

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Because I've gone with Les to the CD plant for the last 7 Mondays and watched Les and the working guys discuss features, think Les had some input. I like what I see -- and this is going to be a real beauty!!

Dusty

My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Sawdust,

Yes, Les gave major input on the design of our boat.

We first contacted Les in August with the idea of using a Sealand head in the 25 (we had owned a 26 olympic with this head). We also wanted (actually I wanted) a fish box in the deck area (in place of the waste tank). Also, we considered a lid access for fuel tank removal a must. Les felt that the factory might agree to these changes if we gave them enough time.

The boat went into production the week of 2/15. Les and his dad have made weekly trips to the factory and put in hours of extra time (working with Cam at the factory) to make these changes work. Without Les's help, our boat would not have been built ( what a great business E.Q. Marine is).

As for the Sealand head, it works off of the freshwater pump. Flushes use about a pint of water and the waste can be macerated and pumped overboard (where legal) or pumped out through a deck fitting (standard marine head setup). Is this the same as yours on the Tyboo 25?

We are very excited to take delivery (in April) of our boat ! Very Happy

Jerry and Helen

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Same system for the head. Ours is plumbed right to a pressure demand FW pump and flushes for as long as you hold the foot lever down. The same pump and tanks also serve the water heater, shower and sink in the head compartment. (The earlier CD25's have a larger head located on the port side aft in the cabin.) The galley is narrower than the new CD25's, and the cabin door and aisle are off center to starboard.)

We also have a macerator pump and a selector valve on the tank. Three miles offshore in the Pacific is legal for discharge as near as I can tell. And B~C is usually eight miles out, so anywhere close to the Blue~C I figure is fair game for sewage pumping!

Quote:
We are very excited to take delivery (in April) of our boat!

...and we are very excited to see this new boat up here in the big river this summer!
My IRA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Your Tyboo 25 is indeed a rare boat (as you well know), all of the new 25's that I filmed at the SBS (2 total) had hand water pumps, no hot water, and Portapotty heads.

What makes this so interesting, is that I tried (begged) Mark Toland to build us a 25 (1995) with the accommodations on your Tyboo and he turned me down. We then purchased an Olympic 26XLF. Do you know if your boat was upgraded later or were the options included when new.

Wow! I'm really excited to see your boat too. I've seen Steve's Shearwater (at Newport last summer) and I don't think that he has the same options but I'm not sure. Maybe he'll read this post and reply.

Thanks for viewing our photos (which Les took) and for your kind comments.

Jerry
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

She is a beaut! Towed her back to EQ today with many thumbs up and horns honking... fun trip.

Old Dusty was just a horse holder for Les on this one - no credit (other than as a sounding board for Les's ideas). I can almost guarantee that you will be totally happy. The factory did a great job, as usual. Great bunch of guys!

Dusty
My IRA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that all went well on the trip from Monroe and that the boat is safe in your shop. Now the rigging begins but we don’t have as much boat jewelry to install as Bill and Dave did so it won’t be long before we get the call to pick her up.

It is so refreshing to deal with a guy like Les, who offers service in a world of no-service.

Also, horse handlers get their due credit and a thank you from us. We look forward to finally meeting you when our time comes to take delivery of the boat.

Jerry & Helen
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, Shearwater must must be the original configuration. No hot water, shower or pressurized water. Has a Jasco electric toilet with a 10 gal holding tank under the back dinette seat.

I am with Mike on the locker layout felt that the original design had a better arrangement.

Great looking boat, what are you powering with?

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
My IRA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I admired your boat at Newport this past summer; we even crossed the bar at the same time after some great Halibut fishing. One evening, I talked with you about how you acquired the Shearwater and how rare the early 25's are. However, I failed to ask about the layout and specifically any upgrades.

We are powering our boat with a Honda BF 135 (main)and a BF 15 (kicker). Originally we planned for a 150 but learned from Les that the torque curve of the 135 is nearly identical to the 150 up to 5000 RPM. Even Mike (the Honda Rep. at the SBS) agreed with Les (he always wins) and so, we went with the 135 and an autopilot (not a bad trade).

Looking forward to talking with you at Newport this summer.

Jerry
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took delivery of my new CD25 this week. I made many mistakes in the buying process for this boat, the biggest of which was not specifying, or clairifying everything about the boat, and not having seen the boat prior to delivery day. I put too much trust in the dealer and paid the price. I know the rules for this site say to "Just be nice", and I will try to be, untill I figure out which of my concerns are valid and which I am being too picky about. If the head nerd will set me up with a photo album, I would be glad to post some photos of my QC issues and see what you all of you have to say, and what you think I should do about it.
My IRA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnow,

Sorry to hear that you're having a less than enjoyable experience with your CD-25 purchase.

Most of the problems experienced with the 25 (based on my conversations with owners,dealer, and the factory) have been resolved to the customers satisfaction. I would urge you to voice your concerns first with your dealer (that's why selecting a good dealer is so important). Since the factory is in WA and you're in NJ, your dealer should be willing to work with you if you remain reasonable.

I would like to see your post with concerns and photos to illustrate.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnow wrote:
I know the rules for this site say to "Just be nice", and I will try to be, untill I figure out which of my concerns are valid and which I am being too picky about. If the head nerd will set me up with a photo album, I would be glad to post some photos of my QC issues and see what you all of you have to say, and what you think I should do about it.

Hi Minnow,

Sorry to hear of the problems with your new C-Dory. Here's to hoping things get squared away to your satisfaction.

You've now got an album - feel free to fill 'er up with pics. Link is in your profile, and under your name with each post.

RE knocking the dealer and/or factory - neither are against the rules here. Civil and polite constructive criticism is certainly worthy of discussion, and folks here will be glad to share opinions regarding the validity of your concerns, and how you might wish to address them.

So...with that aside, let's get on with making you another happy C-Dory owner. Post those pics, and let us know what's on your mind. Smile

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here goes. About a half mile into the sea trial, an alarm sounded, and and icon on the Honda digital gauge was blinking. Looking it up in the manual showed it as the water separator alarm. Water in the tank had overwhelmed the Racor and tripped the float in the Honda separator. At least we made it back to the dock. The dealer siphoned out some (most?) of the water, but it is I still need to drain the water from the Racor every few miles. Next were the scratches in the port windshield. Pointed out to the dealer, he replied "huh". I asked the rigging mechanic if he had rigged the water heater drain, and he said it came from the factory that way. (See photo album).
So I was sent home with a 2003 Load-Rite trailer that had been used and sold to me as new. The trailer tracked real strait, probably due to the 580 pound tongue weight. I happened to be under the trailer in my driveway, (fixing the short in the trailer running light circuit), when I spotted the crack running the full length of the keel. It was pretty easy to spot because the lousy wax job made it stand out much better. Next I pulled a deck hatch to see why water was getting in, and found an oversize cutout and an undersized caulk bead and no sealant on the screws. These are just a few of the more obvious deficiencies that I have noticed in the 7 days that I have owned this boat.
I'm sorry if all my posts have been negative, but I still think that this boat is the right one for me. I just hope that the dealer and the factory will do right by me. I will most certainly let you know.
Brady on Minnow
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady, I looked at your pictures and can understand your concern. Most of the problems look easily fixable and unfortunately, explainable. The one that I don't understand is the crack in the hull. It looks like it was dropped in transit. Does the dealer have an explanation for it? It has to be frustrating to be on the other coast from the factory. If you were close to the C-Dory plant these issues would be a lot easier to resolve.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady,

I can only speak for myself on this, but I for one really appreciate that you have spoken up regarding your issues! If I was looking into buying a C-Dory, I would want to know the good and the bad so that I could make the best decision. However much we all love these boats, they are by no means a cheap purchase, new or used. I have learned a great deal from the positive and not so positive comments posted on this and the C-Dog site and I owe everyone who has posted these experiences a debt of gratitude. Sorry that your first week has been such a disapointment. Please let us know how this gets resolved or if I or we can help in any way!

Chivita Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: