The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/19 - 06/20 - Potomac River Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bluecrab....Why don't you wait until the big weekend to do a Christening at the event? I'll figure out the ceremony and someone can do the honors. They do it on the Left Coast all the time but don't think they'd make house calls for us. I will make sure there's enough sparkley to do the trick right if you want to do it that way! It'll be fun...

Hope it comes on time!! Can't wait to see a brand new one. Don't park it too close to the ten year old Capt's Choice, I'll be jealous!

Hope all your other stuff gets done OK. It's real stressfull to do all that at once. Having been through two knee jobs myself, I send my sympathies to your bride! Congrats on the Tulane Graduate, that's like getting a pay raise. Done it 2X myself and still helping pay for a 34 year old to get a Masters!!

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie for your efforts. This is going to be fun!
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

I echo Tom, Charlie--thanks for your hospitality. We get enough boats, it sounds like you're gonna be churning the entrance to your creek to butter, coming out for each of us. I'll bring some rum, and if we toast each arrival as it comes to the dock--maybe, that's a bad idea. Back to the drawing board.
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: christening Reply with quote

That's a nice idea on the christening, Charlie! I'm superstitious though - do we dare motor that far before doing the ceremony? I guess we could risk it for the benefit of having so many other brats to welcome Lizzie Ann into the fold. It's now looking like we can pick the boat up next week, provided Liz can limp on board for the sea trial.

One down and one to go now that the Tulane graduation is done. The weekend in New Orleans was great. Terrific food, but if I ate any more down there, we'd need to order a 25 ft instead of the 22!

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluecrab,
My two cents worth on the superstition/christening thing is; you and Liz should have your own little ceremony at the ramp and then the group christening when everyone is together. If not, it sounds like you might question everything that will happen in the future Shocked.

Glad to see you right coasters getting into this C-cruise thing Very Happy Beer Beer. keep it up Thumbs Up CoolSmile

Jon

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Jon thanks for the notes. John your call of course, depends on how superstitious you are. I don't believe in most of the stuff but you can never be too careful and I respect your choice.

We'll be ready for you at Cod Creek with the camera and the champagne whether it be a Christening or a Rechristening. May even get Captain's Choice done since it never got a real one in the beginning. It's the second Capt's Choice. Many boats before. Many of them I have seen going down the slipways at Bath Iron Works in Maine. They have been Destroyers!!

charlie
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
Hey Bluecrab....Why don't you wait until the big weekend to do a Christening at the event? I'll figure out the ceremony and someone can do the honors. They do it on the Left Coast all the time but don't think they'd make house calls for us. I will make sure there's enough sparkley to do the trick right if you want to do it that way! It'll be fun...

charlie

Captain C
I'd love to be able to do the "house call" and do boat christenings for your gathering, but unfortunately time and distance is a problem at this time. However, I'm sure you folks will do quite well! As you probably know the "Christening Ceremony" my be found on this site...click to forums....click to documents.....click to Boat Christening Ceremony.
Be sure to locate some "greenery" (not necessarily "cash") to place on the bow of the vessel to be christened. When I had the Super Sized Sea Shift christened, I brought an ample amount of cedar greenery from one of the cedar trees on our property and not only used it in the christening of our vessel but I had plenty of extra for the many other vessels that were christened that evening at the Lopez Gathering. The vessels that were christened received "pourings of the various liquids"....ie: beer, wine, champagne, water, soda pop...just whatever everyone was drinking and toasting with. We had sooooo many christenings at Lopez this time, that I thought for sure we'd end up with a few people falling in the drink....'er bay after all the "toasts".
I think those of us on the left coast are getting almost as excited about your gathering as you are!
Of course, just because I can't join you....maybe the Rev. Jim could join you.....after all he just returned from Scotland, so your home would be just a quick jaunt for him.

Dave S. (aka Rev. Dave)

C-Brat #16
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, was hoping you'd chime in! We've watched with envy as you do it out there, we'll make it through it just fine. Will have to wait until we all get together to see who is the most reverandly of all. None of us has ever seen each other before, should be very interesting.

We'll be sure to take lots of pictures and get them posted asap when we get back to civilization!

thanks again..

charlie
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
Will have to wait until we all get together to see who is the most reverandly of all. None of us has ever seen each other before, should be very interesting.
charlie

Not real sure about how you determine the "most reverently" of all....in my case reckon its the loud voice (due to being hard of hearing...tee hee). Maybe, some genetics as I'm a PK (preacher's kid)....possibly of interest to you, he was also a chaplain on the USS Intrepid in WWII.

I'd never had the opportunity of witnessing Rev. Jim's boat christening until he christened our vessel at the Lopez Gathering. (He too has a strong voice.....maybe because he's got years of driving a huge commercial truck down the nation's highways....how 'bout it Jim?) What ever his credentials, he did a mighty fine job!

Naturally, it takes the "group's" participation to make the christening a rousing success....... Beer Cocktail Beer Cocktail Beer Wink
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just returned from a great weekend on the River, a little rain notwithstanding!

Have sent an e-mail out to all attendees except Lizzie Ann (Bluecrab - John) because I don't have his e-mail address. The e-mail has an info spreadsheet attached to it, please review, fill in the missing info for you and your boat(s) and e-mail it back.

Lizzie Ann Bluecrab John, please send me an e-mail address so I can send it to you too!

Am hoping to have time to install my new radar and autopilot on Captain's Choice before the big weekend but we'll have to see if the spare time gods favor me!

Looking forward to it..

Charlie
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Bluecrab Lizzie Ann, the e-mail I sent bounced back with a permanant error (whatever that is). Your address is hidden on the C-Brat Site but the copy that came to me at my yahoo account had the following address for you:

jseidel2@washcoll.edu

Please send me a correct one and I'll shoot you the spreadsheet too.

Charlie
PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: The Christening.
I have a bottle of gentle christening agent, complete with a lacy sock to swing it from the bowsprit. Will bring same.

re: The Happening.
Our plans have changed a little. Will be launching at Solomons, and cruising to Cod Creek from there, on Friday, early pm. Wouldn't mind tagging along, if others are passing that area.
Duane,
Plan B
(314)368-7078 Cell
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No Duane. One doesn't hit the boat with the bottle. Crook Only ships get that treatment! One gently pours a little bubbly on the bow, puts a sprig of greenery on it and then shares the bottle with all. Cocktail Cocktail I have the procedure and we'll elect a padre when we get together. Or whoever brings the best bubbly can get the nod! Laughing

See you on Friday PM.

Charlie
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you folks coming to Cod Creek this weekend, please check your regular e-mail for latest info - Sent copies of tide tables for Thursday-Sunday and current NOAA Wx forecast. Looks very good! Laughing Laughing Will update the Wx just prior to my departure for the boat on Thursday. Please drive/sail safely on the way!

Charlie
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, bad news. On the good side Thumbs Up , we finally have the Lizzie Ann in the water and rigged. What a terrific boat!

Bad news Thumbs Down is that we can't make this weekend's event. We had hoped to have my father-in-law moved by the middle of this week, but delays mean that we have to do it this weekend. Can't put it off since his old house is sold and closing is next week.

I'm pretty depressed about not being able to join the group. We'd looked forward to meeting all of you and to breaking in the new boat. But family has to come first. I hope this weekend's get together will be the first of many, and that we'll be able to make the next one.

Have a great time - we'll be thinking of you!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: