The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/19 - 06/20 - Potomac River Cruise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: 06/19 - 06/20 - Potomac River Cruise
From Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:00 am to Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:59 am (included)

Hi All,
Would appreciate some info on cruising the Potomac from DC south to the Chesapeake. How long should this take? What are the best places to put in around DC and take out at the Chesapeake?
THanks,
Levity's Michael

On edit by Da Nag

Looks like this is shaping up as a cruise - added to the calendar, signup sheet is here.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael! Glad to have another C-Dory on the Potomac. There are a few of us but not many. I have a home in Stafford, on Aquia Creek, about a third of the way down the river and another place on Cod Creek, about 90% of the way down, both on the Virginia side. There are lots of marinas to stay at, would recommend putting in as far north as possible near DC and taking out either around the Maryland shore in the Chesapeake or at some place like Reedville in VA just around the corner. It's a good piece of river, 80-90 miles or so and you can make a three day or a weeks' trip easily. Let me know what your preference is and I'll make some recommendations. Maybe we can get together for a day or two, there's a marina just a mile or two from me on Aquia Creek and we'd put you up at our home if you'd rather not stay on the boat. Also have a dock at Cod Creek and you could stay there too.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed the Potomac in two days in a 19 foot undecked British yawl, but that's not the way to cruise it--there's too much history. Get a chart and look up Mallows Bay (great anchorage--WWII ship boneyard), Pope's Creek on the Maryland side--good crabs; Pope's Creek on the Va side--history--GW's birthplace. Before you get there, check out Colonial Beach.
One of our number, who will probably weigh in- hopefully, lives down near the mouth of the Potomac, on the Virginia side. Point Lookout, Md. is interesting, again for the history--it was a Union POW camp. And in between, there's Westmoreland Cliffs, Nomini Creek, and at the mouth--actually a little around the corner to the south, there is Reedville, Virginia, a fine place, with good B and B's. In a CD, the length of the tidal Potomac is doable in a long day--that means, you can break it up into as many easy days as you want to. Make sure to go upstream from Alexandria--don't miss the beautiful skylines of Washington, D.C., and plan to spend at least a night up in the Nation's Capital, either ashore or on the water. Beautiful. Honest.
And, if you get down and have more time, come on up to the Annapolis area--we're on the South River just below A., and are one of several C-Dories on the river. Come visit. We'll leave the light on. Bruce Holly.
PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A copy of a post by me on another thread, paralleling closely the interest of this thread:

Thanks to Charie, Pat, Alma's Only, and all the others that have contributed to my planning. There is another thread currently running in this forum, titled "Potomac River", discussing much of the same area. Perhaps we should move to that thread.
Also, it sounds as though there is enough interest to investigate a C-Dory gathering. Check out the Potomac River thread for a proposal.
Thanks again,
Duane, Joane, Mini, and Tiny aboard Plan B

How about a June C-Dory gathering?

Duane
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know when you will be here - we'd love to join up for part of the way! We live in Alexandria, VA and keep our boat at Belle Haven Marina, just south of Old Town, Alexandria off the George Washington Parkway. There are transient slips available at the Alexandria town dock just north of us and south of Reagan National Airport. I cruised all the way from north of Baltimore to Alexandria in two long days (190 miles), but would recommend spreading it out a bit. Potomac itself is about 95 miles from Washington to Point Lookout. Schellenberger's "Cruising the Cheseapeake: A Gunkholers Guide" is a good resource and covers the whole Bay, the Potomac, and many of the other tributaries. If you are interested in touring Mount Vernon, George Washington's home, you can call them for tickets and they will meet you down on the dock, where you can leave your boat while you tour the grounds. Its a great way to arrive and depart! All the best,
PlanB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a C-Dory gathering in June?

My June plans are to launch in or near DC, Take the truck and trailer to PA, near the confluence of the Delaware and Neshaminy Creek, then AMTRACK back to DC to begin the cruise.

Hopefully, we will launch around June 15, and arrive at destination around June 27 for the arrival of a Grandson. Obviously, my plans could change.

I would like to share any portion of this trip with local boaters who know the local eateries and pubs; and. last but not least, suggest a weekend gathering. Fathers Day weekend, June 19-20 would work for me. We could raise a glass to the Summer Solstice, which occurs @ 2057 on Sunday. Since we have to keep drifting north, how about the area around Annapolis, Baltimore, or the eastern shore at that latitude?

I am open to suggestions, as I have never cruised the Chesapeake.

Looking forward to your comments,
Duane
PlanB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Checked out your photos. Okracoke beach looks like my kind of place.
Duane
Bearh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 19 and 20 would work great for us--and we have a great place to anchor in Harness Creek, just south of Annapolis. Tbink about it. It would be fun to meet some of the C-Dory crowd on the right coast, and we can run shuttle service to some of the best Irish pubs around.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane, would like to join you near the lower Potomac, have a spot you can tie up for the night and will treat you and crowd for a cookout! Coordinate when the time gets nearer.

Cod Creek, just below Lewisetta, VA side about 8 miles from the Bay.
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that most of the left coasters are at Jerrel's Cove and off the internet, its good to see you right coasters getting into the act. I hope to join you on the Chesapeake some day. Thats called retirement, and still a few years off.
PlanB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,
Thanks for the generous offer
Duane,
Plan B
PlanB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody say Irish Pub?
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane,
Ocrakoke Island is a real gem. It is the southernmost end of the NC barrier islands, accessible only by boat or ferry. About 90 percent of it is national wildlife refuge, so it has avoided the building boom that has afflicted much of the Outer Banks. From your photos, I can see that you enjoy out of the way places and empty beaches. Manitou Island looks great.

June 19-20 looks like a great weekend for a Chesapeake Bay C-Dory gathering. I would be happy to see you off from the DC/Alexandria area the week before - please let me know how we can assist. Your family and Tiny would be welcome to hang out at our place while you deliver truck and trailer and come back via Amtrak. (And we have a few Irish pubs around here, as well!)

Best wishes,

Tom
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count us in on the June 19-20 Annapolis gathering. If all goes according to plan, we'll have a new 22-ft by mid-May and will be itching for places to go.

Bearh, you wouldn't be Lisa's Dad by any chance? If so, we met at Washington College.

John & Liz
with the yet-to-be-named but eagerly anticipated C-Dory

Bearh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Overlapping replies Reply with quote

We're getting overlapping replies, it looks like--Okay, folks, let's talk. Do we want a rendezvous near the mouth of the Potomac, or near Annapolis, on or near the weekend of June 19-20? Either way, count us in. Up near Annapolis, we'd be glad to host--depending on the weather and the direction of the breeze, we have good anchorages either in front of our house, or around the corner, in Harness Creek. We'd be glad to run taxi service, barbecue in front yard, run to Annapolis. Down in Cobb Creek area, we'd be glad to say howdy, and help as necessary, Charlie.
John, Liz--yessir, that's our baby. In the meantime, we're jest awaitin' on our new fuel tanks. Bruce Holly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: