The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/19 - 06/20 - Potomac River Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Slowly, slowly makee tighty rightee Reply with quote

Thanks, Charlie and John for the inspirational words of comfort, in case I convert Snowdon into the world's largest collander in the next few days. And so, I forge on--I have stories to tell, but they'll wait.
John--you don't have to make it in one push from Chestertown--we could hook up somewhere between Chestertown and the South River and run in tandem, or y'all can come visit our place and break the trip up into a two-day run down--very simple, very easy. In any case, glad you are planning to come, and look forward to talking with you. Lisa is sweating out her final papers for the semester, and hoping for a summer job nearby. By the way--Wow! You write a mean recommendation.
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: tandem run Reply with quote

A tandem run from the South River would be fun. Any other boats up our way? As the time draws near, let's put our heads together.

Lisa deserved the letter - hope the end of semester doesn't wring her out.

Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Plug that hole... Reply with quote

Charlie, form follows function. That's the mark of one that thinks on his feet. Case in point.... just think what would have happened if you had not taken immediate action and waited to a weekday to abate the issue at hand.

Besides I can attest with confidence (and living personal proof) that the best and innotivative solutions to major problems are a direct result of pilot error.

I am putting together a Harley that I did over $1200 damage on while putting it into a garage. I can attest to the fact it was the fastest 22' I ever covered on a Hog and life did flash before my eyes in that split second. No... its not what you think! It was not the past I thought of... I thought of the 30 seconds of the future after every thing came to rest. My thoughts were, "Oh CRAP my wife's home and she was bound to have heard the crash... just after hearing the screeching burn out I did when my hand slipped off the clutch and I poured the throttle (inadverntly) to the BEAST!

She heard the crash and I have been hearing ever since. Now she is pushing REAL HARD for me to sell both my Hogs.... all because of one moments lapse in judgement. Go figure.. as muscle.... she said I could have the 25" C-Dory when the Hogs were gone.
A man has to do what a man has to do... I will be seeing you on the Bay when the Hogs are gone.... Butch

PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
What is the best Chesapeake Cruising Guide?
See ya'all next month.
Duane,
Plan B
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide by William H. Schellenberger.
PlanB

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Thanks for the tip.
Duane
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime. I think its only available in hardcover. If you don't want to spring for the twenty-something bucks it costs, you're welcome to borrow mine for your cruise and just mail it back. I gave a copy to El and Bill in hopes that they will come back our way soon!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane, any further info on dates you'll start out yet? I'm trying to plan some vacation that week.

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bluecrab, are you "with boat" yet? Is school over? Summer is almost here!!

charlie
Bearh

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a lot of use out of the Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay put out by Chesapeake Bay Magazine yearly. Costs around $30, and you can order online at www.cbmmag.net. Look forward to seeing you around June 19. If you want to wait til then, I could get you a last year's copy a lot cheaper, say around $6 at a local book store in Annapolis--but you might want the info on the Potomac before we meet up at the rendezvous.
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie - School's out, summer's almost here, but no boat yet - minor glitch in the timing, but we hope to pick it up next Wednesday. Not to worry - once we have it, a celebratory message will go out!

Timing is turning out to be tricky. My son graduates from Tulane this weekend, my wife has knee surgery next Thursday, and we're trying to move her Dad from Baltimore County over here to the Eastern Shore. One way or the other, we have to squeeze in the time for a proper christening and shake-down cruise.

On cruising guides, Gunkholer's Guide is great, as is CBM's Guide to Cruising. Maptech has a series of "Embassy Cruising Guides" that also look pretty good, although I haven't used them yet. The Chesapeake version is just under $20 - link to the series is:
http://www.maptech.com/water/EmbassyGuides/index.cfm?BPID=ONS0215095388&infopg=buy

For something with a little historical perspective (but no current info on marinas or sailing directions!), check out Hulbert Footner's book Rivers of the Eastern Shore: Seventeen Maryland Rivers. It was originally published in the mid-'40s, but is a fun read.

How's the June get together coming along? We're looking forward to it!
PlanB

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, and thanks again for the replies.
Armed with your local knowledge, I will see what West Marine has in the way of cruising guides, and let the employee price do the choosing.
As for our arrival; we still plan to launch (either DC or Woodbridge) on the 15th or 16th, and arrive for the gathering on the afternoon of the 19th.
Hauled Plan B out last week, cleaned the bottom, and a coat of wax. Still have many little chores to do, but will probably still be "messing about" this fall.
Next week, we are trailing the boat to Dubuque, IA, and cruise that area for a couple of days, and check out a couple of houseboats in that area.
Duane,
Plan B
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane, that's great. Thanks for the info. I'll be down at my Cod Creek place, unfortunately there is no phone there at this time (probably won't be then either) and cell phones won't work (no coverage). I will be monitoring VHF Channel 16 however, looking for arrival calls to "Captain's Choice" and then we'll switch to a working channel. I will have the boat ready to go and come out to meet folks as they arrive. It's only 5 minutes from my pier to the entrance markers to the creek.

If folks need fuel, we can go get it in 5 gal cans (I have some) or you can fuel at Lewisetta Marina, just north of us.

Will provide more details as time gets shorter. Will need a head count for food/etc. We'll have plenty of pier space, may need to "nest" (navy term for tie up alongside each other) if there's more than 5 or so though. I will provision food and drink for two nights, Sat and Sunday, with the expectation that we'll take a day cruise from there over to St Mary's river on Sunday and then folks will depart on Monday AM. If some need to vary from that, that's fine!

More later!

Charlie
Bearh

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Sounds Good Reply with quote

Charlie--
Sounds great. We'll probably be making our way down the Bay to arrive sometime Saturday morning. We'll give you a shout when we get close--monitor 9 or 16? As for food, it sounds like Left Coast potlucks would be in order, or agreeing to split costs ahead of time. What's your pleasure? Either way is fine with us. We're looking forward to the get-together.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be monitoring 16 from a handheld as I'll be moving around. Let me just get the food and put a donation can there, I'll give folks an idea of what I've spent. With some being out for a few days, carrying food around won't be practical. I'm coming down on Thursday afternoon and there's a Fud Lion very close so we'll just get stuff there.

I'll come out and meet folks as they arrive. Will post good directions soon, did so before but will do it again.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: