The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/19 - 06/20 - Potomac River Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearh et al. I'd rather do it near the mouth of the Potomac but will bow to the majority. Can I get an indication of those interested in coming and where they are? I can do a calculation of distances then and put it somewhere in the middle. If some are coming from NoVa (Otter) and some from Annapolis (Snowden) and some from in between, the middle (mouth) may be the best. As of now, 19th/20th weekend sounds fine, I won't know for sure till things get closer but knowing those dates will lead me to do my darndest to keep them free.

Please post your interest here, I'll create a separate thread when I have all of them or ask Head Nerd to do a signup sheet....

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere is fine with me. If the distance is too great to do by water with the time available, we'll just trailer it to the vicinity and put in nearby. Suggest we let the majority rule, and the "loser" commit to a gathering on their turf later in the summer, okay? (By the way, Charlie, I have been in a conference most of the week and am unable to get away for lunch until next week - will email or give you a call.) Looking forward to an excellent Fathers Day weekend!
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Hi Charlie! Reply with quote

Charlie, I copied on of your pics with RADM Wyatt to my work email and shared it with a coworker that used to command a USN nuclear sub. he to can tell great stories, of course stopping short of what's classified. You are lucky to have a shipmate like the Admiral! Butch
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks - added this to the calendar, and created a signup sheet. I made Bearh the Cruise Director, as he was the first to suggest a date.
PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda started this whole thing by throwing out my travel plans, and my desire to meet with/cruise with other Dories. We will start down the Potomac from DC on June 15th or so, enroute to the confluence of the Delaware River and Neshaminy Creek; arriving around the 28th. For us, an week-end with friends at or near Annapolis sounds great. However, we would enjoy company on the rest of the trip. A caveat: if impending arrival of grandson happens early, we will have to stop dawdling, and put the hammer down.
Duane
PlanB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill (Head Nerd),
Thanks for providing a sign up sheet, and an official Cruise HQ
Duane
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks Bill. I just signed up. I recommend as the time approaches, we collect cell phone numbers and nominate a "flagship" (Plan B is my nomination) so that we can communicate when out of VHF range, which will be a lot of the time prior to joining the flotilla. I will offer Cod Creek as a one nighter anytime during that period and provide goodies, lunch/dinner and drinks Cocktail Cocktail Beer . We've got a pier, should have electricity by then and will have water/head/shower in our 28' camper available for those that wants. Will post a position (lat/long) when the time approaches. We should all start doing our sun Hot Hot dance now.
PlanB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
A couple of items.
1. I'm not sure of this flagship thing. I am sure that someone with experience on the Potomac and the Chesapeake waters would make much more informed decisions than me. How 'bout you, Charlie? Yo have certainly demonstrated your enthusiasm for this project.

2. What are the needs of the participants? How can we best meet those needs? I, for one, travel with 2 dogs. And, even after almost 10 years, they still won't "do it" on the boat. I do hope to have a small dinghy ready for the trip. Except for the previous,anchoring and docking are OK with us.

3. Location: I initially wanted to be further along on the week-end, but after checking distances, and a little re-thinking, the mouth of the Potomac sounds great. That will give us more time at DC.

Duane, Joane, Mini and Tiny,
aboard the Plan B
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Duane and Plan B!

As for the "flagship" that's just a holdover from my Navy days. In my experience, the brains didn't necessarily reside there (no slight intended Duane). It's just that you'll probably be the only boat that will make the entire trip down the Potomac and thence up the Chesapeake. Not sure about Tom on Otter, he might. For those not in it for the long haul, cell phones should be the means of comm until within VHF range.

Where do you plan on putting in now? It was originally Woodbridge I know but if you look at a chart, it's about 30 miles downriver from DC. You could still do that, head North initially, hitting sights on the way up and then do a speed run back down into new waters.

For reference, here are some mileages (NM) from the mouth (Chesapeake Bay end) of the river, starting in DC and working down river.

DC (near National Airport) 95Mi
Alexandria 91Mi
Belle Haven Marina (VA)
(where Otter resides) 89Mi
Mt Vernon (VA) 84Mi
Occoquan (Woodbridge) 74Mi
Quantico (VA) 68Mi
Aquia Creek (VA) 60Mi (Capt's Choice may join here)
Rt 301 Bridge 44Mi
Cobb Island/Wicomico R. (MD 32Mi
Ragged Point (MD) 20Mi
Lewisetta/Coan R. (VA) 8Mi
Cod Creek (Va Side) 7Mi (Capt's Choice will join here if not B4)
Mouth of the River/Ches Bay 0Mi

Won't try to do the same with the Bay at this time, too many options. Probably won't want to miss Smith Island if the Wx isn't too rough though. The guys near Annapolis (Bearh on Snowden + Others, C'mon Guys, sign up!) are sure to have favorites!

Anyway, that's a start, there's gas available all over the place, the nearest one to me in Cod Creek is at Lewisetta you should probably fuel there before coming into the creek.

These mileages were taken from NOAA Chart 12285, if you don't have it or a chartplotter, you should get it. The Chesapeake Bay BlueChart chip for my Garmin 182C has this chart (and 56 others) on it. Not sure what you've got for electronics.

The river is tidal, but not much. I've got about 1.5ft at the mouth and it's about that way all the way up.

Only two months plus a little to go! Wet here but the Cherry Blossoms are awesome!
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Okay, Charlie Reply with quote

Okay, Charlie--
It looks like I'm already signed up, as the "moderator". Yikes. I've never been accused of "moderating" anything. Is that like being Vice-Chancellor of the Known Universe? Been there, done that, I have, but never "moderated" anything. How does one moderate? Is there pain involved? Could we all just get along, instead? With PlanB's plans in mind, and yours and Otter's locations, I suggest we go with the Otter Creek--Mouth of the Potomac venue (Venue? Oh geez.) for this gathering--and then we could moderate our ways across to Smith Island and on up the Chesapeake as we wish, with as many of us as wish to do so--kinda a floating, meandering party, so's to speak? Yes, as moderator, I shure do think that would be my two cents. I shure hope I get my fuel tanks in time--might have to moderate on fumes and vapors otherwise. Bearh, of "Snowdon", known to many earthlings as Bruce Holly, and also frequently referred to by using several colorful, emphatic, and pungeant sobriquets both in front of and behind that name.
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, whatever happened to Levity's Michael? Didn't they first start this thread? If you're out there, how does this work for you?
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce/Bearh: I sure ain't "moderate", matter of fact, been accused frequently of being a radical, or was it a radial, can't remember. Sobriquet? Is that something for a grill?

Anyway, that sounds like a plan, but don't go to "Otter Creek", go to the other creek, Cod Creek, that's where I is. There's two by the way, one is off the Little Wicomico the entrance to which is at the Southern conjunction (as opposed to the preposition) of the Potomac and the Bay. My creek, and I use that description loosely, is about 7 miles up the Potomac Shore. Will pass out lat/long coordinates as we get closer so you can put them in your GPSs or wherever you put such things.

Moderate away, so far you're doing a great job (I don't care what everyone else is saying!!).

Charlie
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cod creek, here we come!!
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Just returned from a trip to CA, to find that my inquiry about cruising the Potomac has cross- pollinated with another inquiry and become a C-Dory flotilla rendezvous and voyage. The June 19-20 dates sound great to my wife and I. We are looking forward to meeting and cruising with all of you. I will check maps, cross reference with charts, set my GPS and attempt to find everyone at the right place and right time! Cell phone numbers would be helpful.
Levity's Michael
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, welcome back. Look forward to meeting you this summer somewhere on the Potomac or Chesapeake. Read the posts (you may already have done that) and signup on the Event Signup page. That makes 5 and climbing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: