Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jan - if a motor will do it, I will definitely take you up on that! Will be back in touch after The Offshore Store guys diagnose it for sure, will let them know I have a line on a replacement motor!

C-Change wrote:
Pat:

If it turns out to be a motor problem you are welcome to the motor from my old windlass. My problem was in the gearbox, and the motor seemed to be working fine. Anyway, it is yours if you want it.

Jan

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the windlass has been delivered to Kyle at The Offshore Store, he has it on his schedule for Monday, when we will find out if a used motor will bring this sucker back to life or not! But I am now a little bit hopeful, since our gears turn, and the main problem is lack of power in the motor. Kyle emphasized again that most of the time this is due to not tying off to a cleat while anchored and leaving the strain on the windlass, causing the seal to fail and water to get into the motor. So we shall soon see!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is a data point for Sprint 600 owners, some good news actually. I took the our Sprint 600 (gears OK, motor dead) in to The Offshore Store in Seattle last week, and was preparing to see if installing the motor from Jan's dead Sprint 600 (gears all corroded, motor probably good). Talked to Kyle, the service tech, yesterday - he just found out Friday that the motor for the V700 fits the Sprint 600. One is on order, it just made sense to me to stick a new motor in rather than a used motor. And a heck of a lot less than a whole new V700...
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally gave up and got a new V700 from West Marine. It took about an hour to take the Sprint 600 out and I had to drill one new hole (the single forward one) to mount the new V700. I was surprised to find out that they sealed the core where it went through the foredeck. I think this was installed by the factory so I was ready for a wet core.

The biggest job was pulling the old one out once I had the nuts off the underside of it. I just looped a line around the gypsy, tied it to the overhead of the boat house roof and gently lowered the lift Thumbs Up

Came out cleanly and easily.

The new one hooked up to all the old connections, had to do no wiring except hook up the new red/black to the old ones. I was even able to leave the metal plate under the deck in place, just drilled the new hole through it.

This new V700 works great.

Have not had time to take the old one apart but I would expect the gears are full of water/corrosion as others have found. I'll probably send it back to the factory to be rebuilt and sell the whole contraption to someone that needs a Sprint 600 replacement (after the factory tells me it's fine again).

The new V700 has a 5 year warranty, the old Sprint was 3 years.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally opened the bottom of the old windlass. No water, no damage or corrosion, just nice looking gears and good grease!

I guess this narrows it down to the motor since I used the old wiring/switches/breaker and all with the new V700. It works fine.

Not sure how much a motor costs, I know someone on this thread has one he wanted to get rid of, I'll PM him/her and ask about it.

Charlie
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan on C-Change has a used Sprint 600 motor. PM him, Iam sure it will be a "deal"! But see my prior post, according to The Offshore Store, the V700 motor fits the Sprint 600 - it just might be better to stick a new motor on the good Sprint 600 than a used motor, no?

Captains Cat wrote:
Well, I finally opened the bottom of the old windlass. No water, no damage or corrosion, just nice looking gears and good grease!

I guess this narrows it down to the motor since I used the old wiring/switches/breaker and all with the new V700. It works fine.

Not sure how much a motor costs, I know someone on this thread has one he wanted to get rid of, I'll PM him/her and ask about it.

Charlie
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat. I found the post and have talked with Jan. He was on travel last week but is going to send me the motor this week. I have already installed a new V700 on the CAT but going to send the windlass and both motors to Starcraft Tom when I get the other motor. Since the new V700 worked fine with the old wiring and switches, I've just about concluded it must be the motor. If Tom can make it work for him, Jan and I will give him a good deal on it.

Chalrie
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat. I found the post and have talked with Jan. He was on travel last week but is going to send me the motor this week. I have already installed a new V700 on the CAT but going to send the windlass and both motors to Starcraft Tom when I get the other motor. Since the new V700 worked fine with the old wiring and switches, I've just about concluded it must be the motor. If Tom can make it work for him, Jan and I will give him a good deal on it.

Chalrie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: