The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Beartrack - new 22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beartrack

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Yipee! Reply with quote

Got some very reasonable shipping estimates from Uship.com and decided to make the plunge. Called Teri tonight and bought the boat! My first C-Dory (in fact our families first boat over 15 feet!)

Is there still room at the Bellingham gathering next month?

Thanks for the helpful information everyone (and thanks for the shipping info Thataway!)

Beartrack
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob. It sounds like this could be a nice boat and good buy for someone.
________
Dave
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartrack – glad to have you as a member with a C-Dory. Hope the boat is everything you expected and more. Looking forward to meeting you at the Bellingham gathering.
________
Dave
Beartrack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldgrowth, I appreciate it! Going to take a bit to sleep tonight... and going to be a long week or 3 until I get some one on a back haul to finally get it out here. I contacted Uship.com - sort of an eBay service for boat shipping expeditors... you describe what you need shipped, when and where from/to, and they bid on it. Then you pick from amongst the top bidders based on how you like their profiles and referrals. It also let's you view the bid range histories for prior boats the same size as yours that were shipped the approximate same mileage. Looks like I can get it shipped the 2460 miles for around $2,000, possibly $2200. We'll see. In any case it put this Dory in my price range and I can't WAIT to start taking my wife and 2 girls out here in Puget Sound once we go through a safety course (of course.) Very Happy Terri has been wonderful to deal with on the phone too (the seller.)

Beartrack
Wannabee

City/Region: Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Congratulations Reply with quote

You've gotten a boat that looks great at a very fair price. We just looked at a 22 in Baltimore - and passed on it - that was priced $5k higher - with less equipment and without the trailer. This one would have been trailering distance for us - so you can bet that the next time he reads a good posting like this one, husband won't wait until the next morning to tell me about it.

Congratulations to buyer & seller
Happy Fathers Day

Marianne & Doyle

terick

City/Region: northeast
State or Province: OH
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Engine Hours Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me were I find the engine hours for the Yamaha on the CDory. I would like to give this info. to Scott but am not sure were to look. Don't mean to sound so dense, put this was my husbands toy, and he passed away in January. I am so happy that Scott and his family are so excited about the boat, my husband I'm sure is smiling from heaven. They will love it! Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Teri
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri, we send our condolances for your loss, and know how hard it is do sell the C Dory. Turn on the ignition--without strating the boat. The engine hours will be below the "0" on the digital tachometer. (We have a similar year, 115 Yahama, and the guage should be the same).

Beartracks. Congratulations--You will work out the transportation. Be sure and have a bonded and insured hauler. You are going to love the boat.

The old saying on "C Dories" is you have to jump on a good buy right away--don't hesitate. Teri priced the boat fairly, and Beartracks purchased a good boat which will be loved.

Regards,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
terick

City/Region: northeast
State or Province: OH
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway, Thanks for the help and also the condolances from many. I will try what you mentioned. Thanks again.
Beartrack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thataway - and thanks Terri! Yes, the boat will be very loved indeed - we are busily thinking up places to go and things we'll do as I work to get the shipping squared away. Needless to say we'll be seeing many places, through many waters and making many family memories. With the family so excited, I was telling Terri tonight that I don't dare try and take the boat out solo for it's first run - I don't think I'd be let back in the house when I got home! Smile Thanks again Terri - this was just what we've been dreaming of... before and since. Laughing Not sure but I think I've gotten less sleep since Saturday actually as we're so looking forward to it arriving!

When it arrives we would like to put a rear camper canvas on the back with side curtains - any recommendations folks? Also I'd like to get trim tabs installed and find out about getting the 56-gallon option gas tank from C-Dory... has anyone here had these done after the original purchase? Any pointers would be very appreciated.

Take care,
Beartrack
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Beartrack on your new (to you) C-Dory. I can feel your excitement and enthusiasm jumping off the page. We too were very excited upon purchasing C-Dancer, especially since we had never owned a boat of any size. I'm happy to say I still love our C-Dory, it's a great little boat.

As for recommendations for your camperback, I hear Dave at King Canvas does a good job, he's done many camperback installations for C-Brats. We used The Canvas Riggers in Oak Harbor. They did an excellent job. They require you to bring the boat to them for 2-3 weeks so that they are sure to customize the installation specifically to your boat. They are a little more expensive but well worth it in my estimation. I heard they moved to Anacortes recently but don't quote me on that. As for the trim tabs, we had the Bennett M120's installed on our boat. As Tyboo Mike has said many times, they're the perfect size for a CD22, as if they were made for CD22's. They do a great job of trimming your boat side-to-side. However, I love the Permatrim, we've had it on two engines now and they do a great job of trimming your bow down. Take a look at the Permatrim thread at the top of the home page, DC45's post today says it all. You might want to try adding one of those before adding the trim tabs and save $400 in the process. Just my $.02.

Enjoy your new boat and I'm sure we'll see you on the sound, maybe the Bellingham gathering!

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartrack,

Canvas Riggers are now in the Quantum Industial complex on Rte 20 above Anacortes Telecope, just after you come over the Twin Bridges from the East.
Yes, they are more expensive but they do a great, custom job and they now have a closed shop to work on a boat the size of a CD. Ours was the first one though there. This will hopefully speed things up as they will no longer be weather dependent.

I will add some pictures to the Kingfisher album a bit later today

Merv
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story I got from Les about Canvas Riggers is that there used to be two guys in business together, and they split up. One guy is now working out of EQ Marine and the other guy is in Anacortes. (I drove by there but never could find the shop.) Les of course felt that the guy working out of EQ was far superior to the other guy. I have no idea if he is but I'll probably go with the guy at EQ when I have my canvas made. With the slowdown at EQ that may not happen until the winter! Crying or Very sad

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Just FYI - Les knows canvas. Had his own canvas shop for several years and has worked with the canvas guys in designing each top. I'd follow his advice. The EQ backlog probably (boy I'm careful with that word) shouldn't matter to the canvas guy. I've had several tops made by both guys... if you want more, give me a PM.

Dusty
Beartrack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of questions! So can the Bennett's be added by a fairly capable do-it-your-selfer or is shop install recommended? I have a fairly good supply of tools in the shop, but no experience with laying fiberglass, if that's required. But a local shop quoted me about $1350 to put trim tabs in - ouch! It was 3-Rivers Marine in Woodinville, WA.

Also, they had a very nice 2 or 3 year old Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4-stroke outboard with power tilt that seemed like it would make a nice troller, but I wasn't sure if that really would be enough for a 22' C-Dory. Any thoughts?

Thanks again all!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartrack wrote:
Couple of questions! So can the Bennett's be added by a fairly capable do-it-your-selfer or is shop install recommended? I have a fairly good supply of tools in the shop, but no experience with laying fiberglass, if that's required. But a local shop quoted me about $1350 to put trim tabs in - ouch! It was 3-Rivers Marine in Woodinville, WA.

See if you can find the directions for installing the tabs online, then decide if it's too much for your level of experience.

Also, they had a very nice 2 or 3 year old Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4-stroke outboard with power tilt that seemed like it would make a nice troller, but I wasn't sure if that really would be enough for a 22' C-Dory. Any thoughts?

The 8 hp High Thrust 4-stroke Yamaha is ideal for the 22, perhaps the best choice available among all, unless you're planning on using it as a "get home" emergency motor in extreme tidal situations where a 15 hp would be more appropriate.

Thanks again all!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: