HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Columbia cruise - from PDX east

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Columbia cruise - from PDX east Reply with quote

I am exploring the possibility of making a cruise up the Columbia to Tri Cities in late June. Has anyone made this trip that I could get some insight and information from? Things I would want to know would include marinas used and availability of gas, lodging and food in the long stretch between The Dalles and Tri Cities, how much current on that section of the river, going thru the various locks, weather encountered (mostly wind), trouble spots, etc.

Thanks,

Chuckpacific
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Chuck Pacific
There is a good resource book out there ,the Name of it is

"Boaters Guide to the Columbia & Snake Rivers"

publisher is

Evergreen Pacific Publishing Ltd.
18002 15th Ave. NE, Suite B
Shorline , WA 98155
Also a short note:
Bill & Ell are planning a trip down the Columbia this summer some time and you might want to check out when they are traveling thru and hook up with them for the cruise. They are looking for fellow Boaters to visit and travel along the route. We are hoping to hook up with them somewhere along the route and go down with them.Not sure where we will launch from yet.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Chuckpacific

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Thanks for the tip on the book; I enjoy doing as much research as possible on these trips but was hoping to hear from someone who'd done it in a C-Dory or similar sized boat...someone who I could call and ask specific questions.

Chuckpacific
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until SteveJ checks in, he has some smarts on them parts..I often head east on the freeway and have noticed between the dam and Hood River big holes in the water, not swells, not chop, but just randomly placed holes in the water that definitely provide some pucker factor
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckpacific,

Have not made that trip in a CD but have done a lot of fishing along that whole stretch back when we had a 12' Livingston. The areas at Cascade locks and just below each of the dams can definitely create major pucker Surprised. Best to get very definite info for negotiating each of the locks. Reliable bottom maps are another must have especially above the Dalles.

The wind can come up at an instant Twisted Evil, so be aware. Our experience has been that when the tide comes up the Columbia, there can be a real howler Shocked Shocked Shocked for about an hour to an hour and a half and this can hit all the way to Umatilla. We used to just find shelter during those times and go back out after.

Take your fishing gear as there is some incredible spots along the way. If you go into the mouth of the John Day river, there can be outstanding small mouth bass at dawn and dusk, (have caught as big as 5lbs. there!). Once you are within 5 miles of the John Day dam break out the walleye gear. From there to the Umatilla dam is great, and 15lb. walleye are fuuuuuun. The smaller 5 to 8lbs. are some of the best eats too. Above the Umatilla dam, we have seen Shocked GIANT Shocked sturgeon breeching at dusk, (quite a site). More bass all the way to Tri-Cities from there.

This should be quite a trip for you, enjoy CoolSmile.

Jon

stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckpacific I made the trip from Rocky Point marina (10 miles up river from St. Helens) to the mouth of the snake a few years ago. Don't have much time this morning but right off get the guide book Sensei listed, was at Powells downtown a couple of weeks ago and they had a copy. It details the trip very well and has info on parks and marinas gas and food availability with phone numbers and other tidbits.

Be happy to have a conversation with you about the trip it's very managable in a C-Dory but there are some extended runs between gas stops and access to food and lodging is limited.
As far as the river conditions go depends on the time year somewhat (spring VS late summer) and it is the Gorge. Big winds and a heavy spring flow would make for a very long day if going up stream.

Bonneville to The Dallas has the worst reputation once you get beyond The Dallas it mellows a bit.

If I were to do it again I would be very tempted to start at John Day or The Dallas and skip the frist section. There is so much more to explore as you head up river. I could spend a couple of weeks on the John Day just relaxing at the boat access only park about four miles up the river and exploring the in the inflatable.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Chuckpacific

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevej,
Tried to email you, but was returned. I'd like to talk to you at your convenience.
Chuckpacific
MIKE MANNELL

City/Region: Vancouver, WA.
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: GUNNY-D
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my 22' Cruiser with my Dodge 3/4T 4wd E/B to the Mouth Of The John Day River a couple of weeks ago. The weather was nice...I motored up the John Day River to a boaters only access park and spent two nights at the dock and and one night anchored out on the river cat fishing and watching DVD movies on my lap top. My wife says I'm a lazy fisherman, but we both caught bass and catfish. The heater worked well and was needed after the sunset.
It only took me two hours from Vancouver, WA. to get there. A very peaceful and pleasant cruise. I motored on the Columbia north of the John Day Dam as well...no other boats were on the Columbia, but bass boats were on the John Day River both Sat. & Sun.
A great place to get away... CoolSmile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: