flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 15' feet of chain with 300' of rode. I use the delta quick set. Never had a problem but then again I have not slept on anchor. I don't think I could do that no matter how much rode I had. I like the shorter chain because if I had to listen to 50' of chain go through the windlass I think I'd just cut it loose. Kind of noisy.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my two C Dory boats I have 200 feet of 1/2" rode and 20 and 50 feet of 1/4" HT chain. I keep another two hunks of 200 feet of rode aboard.

I have anchored hundreds (maybe thousands) of times in the channel Islands--and for the most part I anchor fore and aft there--you want to keep the bow into the swell. And also keep the boat alighned with whatever wind is blowing.

On my larger boats my primary rode was 200 feet of chain, backed with 200 or 300 feet of line. I always had several more 300 hunks of line aboard.

At the Isthmus (Two Harbors) the only place you can anchor, which is not over 100 feet deep is in little fishermans (KHYC area).. there you can work the C Dory back in close to the beach and anchor the bow in deeper water. With two anchors, fore and aft, you can get a lot more boats in a harbor (for example go to Little Geiger's cove on a holiday weekend and see how many boats Blue water cruising club can get in there--virtually can walk across the cove.

I often set a stern anchor in shoal water--as shoal as I can dare (consider a number of my boats had 8 foot draft)--and then pay out lines until I could set the bow anchor and still have 6 to 7:1 scope--set the bow, and back down onto the stern anchor...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
State or Province: WA
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly agree with Dan. This is one of those topics that ranks right up there with "what kind of truck do you drive?" in terms of varying opinions. Experience like Thataway's and local conditions make a huge difference.

Here in Puget Sound, generally anchoring conditions are very good and in all but the worst of weather a scope between 3 to 1 and 5 to 1 is very adequate for the common anchorages. As it generally works out, during the most crowded times when space makes it hard to get much more than 3 to 1, the winds tend to be lightest. As the wind and weather gets more interesting, the crowds leave anyway. Surprisingly enough, as deep as Puget Sound gets, the most popular anchorages have lots of shallow water - ie Sucia Island, Stuart Island, Deer Harbor, Friday Harbor, Monataque Harbor, Bedwell Harbor etc.

We had an appropriately sized Bruce anchor on a Camano 28 and prior to a trip up the inside passage, I was convinced I needed more rode so I put on 100 feet of chain and 300 feet of nylon rode. I was prepared for the deep water anchorages up north. I don't think the last 200 hundred feet of the rode ever got wet. Most of the time, the chain and a little line was all that ever went out and we slept well except for one very stormy night when it would have been too bouncy to sleep if we had been chained to a concrete pillar. Was 100 feet of chain and 300 feet of rode the right decision? You bet. If we had needed it, it was there, we just didn't need it.

On my Ranger 25, I have a Bruce type anchor, 50 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode. I'm not planning to go north of Vancouver Island so that should be adequate. I'm carrying a second anchor, chain and rode - mostly as an emergency spare but don't expect to use it. I have enough line on board to stern tie to shore if needed but I have only done that in the past in Desolation Sound and it's not on my want to return to list anyway so will probably not use it.

Of course, like every body else, we've had our sleep disturbed multiple times as we get bumped by some boat that is drifting around because the skipper thought letting out enough line to get the anchor to the bottom was fine or they came in late and anchored inside the scope of our boat.

I have noticed that I'm checking the anchor a bit more often during the night as the years go by. Consequence of getting older - if I'm up anyway to visit the head, might as well take a look around. Besides, it's pretty out there in the middle of the night.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 to 1 is our standard. We'll go to 10 to 1 if the weather is up; and/or put out a second anchor depending on the situation. In a crowded anchorage, our shallow draft gives us an advantage, and we'll try to work our way in closer. Keep in mind that in the Puget Sound area, the tidal swing will be much greater than in the Gulf... so our ratios will increase as the tide drops. We have 50' of chain and 200' of line on the primary (delta 22#); 20' of chain and 150' of line on the secondary (danforth).

We had used Fortress anchors on our trimaran to keep the weight down, but they will tend to float down... very important that you back down on them firmly to insure that they are set. I sleep well with the Delta and find it resets better with a big change of direction due to wind/tide.

One other technique that works well for me: if I think there is a concern about the anchor set, before bed, I'll say, "I sure hope that anchor holds tonight... I'm not sure if it set well." Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
One other technique that works well for me: if I think there is a concern about the anchor set, before bed, I'll say, "I sure hope that anchor holds tonight... I'm not sure if it set well." Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

And so, Jim, this results in:

A. You stay up all night on the anchor watch.Sad

B. The Blonde stays up all night on the anchor watch.Smile

C. You both pull up the hook and retire to the Holiday Inn. Wink

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim B.,

As I mentioned, local conditions make a huge difference.

I do remember that in the Gulf (near Florida - not Texas so sorry about that) having trouble getting the anchor to set in water that was too shallow in the first place. (West Coast bias - the only time I like to see water depths under 100 feet are when it's time to anchor and anything under 25 feet is shallow.) I don't remember seeing water over 25 feet as we cruised out of Tampa Bay. Anyway - different waters with different bottoms mean different anchoring schemes.

Reminds me of my glider flying days. East and west coast conditions were so different that it was disconcerting to say the least.

'nuff.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local condtions? I have anchored in probably every harbor (0n the salt water coasts) what other C Dory members have been in. There isn't a harbor which will not have a storm, wind/ current shift etc.--and it is most likely to occur when you are conplacent. We always anchor assuming that the wind will be 50 knots. We always use reverse to set the anchor, we always have a plan to get out if the wind comes up and we are set toward a lee shore. I was in Cabo San Lucas, only 8 days after the "Cabo Storm" --where over 28 well equipt cruising boats went on the beach and were lost--and I have seen dozens of other very well equipt boats go on the beach when they thought "Local conditions" only warented a lunch hook and small amount of scope.

Yes, I have drug, yes, I have had to cut and run leaving several thousands worth of anchoring gear on the bottom-- (to be recovered by diving later)--but I try and make sure that doesnt' happen.
jdahlfin

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WAS STURGEON FISHINH A FEW DAYS BACK, AND USED MY WINDLASS FOR THE FIRST TIME, FIRST TIME RELEASING THE WINDLASS, THE ROPE CAUGHT HOLD OF ONE OF THE MOUNTING BOLTS THAT WERE DOWN INSIDE THE BOW OF THE BOAT, WHEN RELEASING THE LINE IT CAUGHT ONE OF THE THREE LONG BOLTS AND GOT CAUGHT, THIS WAS AN OVERSIGHT BY THE MARINA, THAT INSTALLED IT,THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A REAL; DISATER HAD I NEEDED IN CASE OF A REAL EMERGENCY, INSTEAD IT JUST SPOILED A FINE DAY OF FISHING, I JUST WANT TO CAUTION EVERYONE TO CHECK THERES AND AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY, MAKE SURE THOSE LONG BOLTS ARE CUT OFF AND DOUBLE NUTS ON, JUST A SAFETY TIP, THANKS . Very Happy
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:

Best wishes,
Jim B.

And so, Jim, this results in:

A. You stay up all night on the anchor watch.Sad

B. The Blonde stays up all night on the anchor watch.Smile

C. You both pull up the hook and retire to the Holiday Inn. Wink

Joe.

Ummm..."B". If the boat even creaks, she pops her head up. Twisted Evil If I really think I don't have a good set, I pull the anchor back up and set it again.
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I looked at your photos of Wild Blue and I noticed that you don't have chalks or guides...when you anchor, I assume you tie the line off to the cleat behind the windlass. Does a changing tide or wind put stress on the windlass or rail as the boat changes directions and the line slides across the bow? I haven't anchored the boat yet and I'm curious. Sometimes my imagination runs wild so I'm doing a reality check with someone with the same boat who's anchored plenty of times.

Thanks,

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarge,
We use some chaffe protection (old fire hose) on the line when conditions warrant. I was surprised with the whole no chalks situation, but it hasn't been a problem to this point. With two anchors out, we run the primary (on the windlass) out the anchor roller and attach the chaffe protection there; then run the second off the side a bit, through the bow rail. Both tied to the bow cleat. Different locations require different techniques, as we learned at Lake Powell... we also carry extra line onboard for tying off to shore in those situations. Again, depending on the location/situation, we prefer to anchor out. Nothing unusual about anchoring the CD, but being a relatively light boat with plenty of windage, it wants to sail around a bit at anchor. You can minimize this by setting a second anchor (bow or stern, depending on the situation), or tying a rolling hitch on your primary and tying that line off to a stern cleat. Most times we find that the movement isn't uncomfortable (actually relaxing usually)... it just depends on how tight the anchorage is or how others there are anchored. We make it a point to try to find shallow, protected water for anchoring.

Joking aside (about keeping the Blonde up to keep an eye on the set), we want to be secure on the hook. Who doesn't? Use the sounder to get a feel for the bottom, use plenty of rode, chain is your friend, a good anchor, back down on it to be sure you are set, pay attention to tide and weather, pick your anchoring spot, and ask others who are already anchored (they don't want you to drag in the middle of the night, either Wink ). Goodness knows you could wind up dragging down on some naked guy in the middle of the night, but I'll let Dixie tell you about that.

Are we going to see you at Bellingham? From the sounds of it, there will be lots of folks (and opinions)... I just love good local knowledge.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I had planned on going to Bellingham, but I think it is slipping away. The Mrs. has to work, which leaves me with the boys (2 and 5 years old), plus I need to fly to California on Sunday evening on a business trip. I was hoping to make it for a day, but even that looks tenuous at best.

Thanks for sharing your experience with anchoring a CD25. Much appreciated.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

(Stuff clipped.)

Goodness knows you could wind up dragging down on some naked guy in the middle of the night, but I'll let Dixie tell you about that.

(Stuff clipped.)

Best wishes,
Jim B.

What a worldly woman! Sounds like we could enjoy a thread on the Adventures of Dixie!!!

Joe Teeth
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dog wrote:
Jim B.,

As I mentioned, local conditions make a huge difference.

I do remember that in the Gulf (near Florida - not Texas so sorry about that) having trouble getting the anchor to set in water that was too shallow in the first place. (West Coast bias - the only time I like to see water depths under 100 feet are when it's time to anchor and anything under 25 feet is shallow.) I don't remember seeing water over 25 feet as we cruised out of Tampa Bay. Anyway - different waters with different bottoms mean different anchoring schemes.

Reminds me of my glider flying days. East and west coast conditions were so different that it was disconcerting to say the least.

'nuff.

Hey there OldDog... we can all learn new tricks! Wink "Anything under 25 feet is shallow"???? I guess it's all perspective, huh? I had to take a photo of the sounder showing 1000' when we were in the San Juans, 'cause I knew my buddies in south Texas wouldn't believe it. My idea of shallow: when the boat touches the bottom. We have frequently anchored in less than 10' of water (not a problem when the tide swing is 2'). If I put out 50' of chain in 5' of water, I know I'm not going anywhere during the night! Mr. Green Plus, I can just look down and see that the anchor is set. I recall poking around Friday Harbor, looking for a place to anchor... the shallowest I could find that wasn't already wall-to-wall was over 50'... I thought to myself, "I don't have enough rode for a 7 to 1 and if I did I'd need a quarter mile of swinging room!!!" Cool

If you set your depth alarm for 25', in most places along the Gulf it would never stop going off! Mr. Green On the bright side, if you happen to go overboard, you can just walk home. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: