The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Windlass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Windlass Reply with quote

I'm going to be mounting a windlass on my 22. The question is should I remove the antiskid from the deck where it mounts or fill the space with something and what would be the best something to fill it with. The next question would be is there a best position as to where the anchor rode enters the locker forward to aft. Thanks in advance for your comments.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently mounted a windlass on the CD 25. I put it far enough foreward to allow one inch between the foredeck cleat and the aft end of the windlass. This positioned the hole about in the center (fore and aft) of the top of the anchor locker. I ground down the nonskid, to be level with the smooth gel coat in the center. I cut the 3" hole, then routed out about 1/4" of balsa core--filled this with epoxy and high density filler, to seal the deck core. Each bolt for the windlass was drilled out oversize, and then filled with epoxy around the edges, and the hole redrilled to size to be snug for the windlass. I did the same for the holes for the wiring. There would be some advantage to increasing the height of the hole where the chain goes thru the deck--but with a tight gasket and bedding, it is water tight up to the edges of the SS rim. -
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
depperson

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mary Ann
Photos: Mary Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a horizon windless on my 22' last winter. I found the non skid wasn't a big issue, 4200 filled it in nicely. As far as mounting, I didn't have a lot of options, about 1-1.5 inch's in front of the existing cleat. I installed an aluminum diamond plate in the space where there is no non stick. It really turned out nice. I have found out a windless is really important, As well as saving the back, It really adds a lot of saftey.
AnchortownJim

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Coho
Photos: Coho
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To allow for easy removal of my windlass, I cut a piece of 3/16" 6061 aluminum that I attached to the non skid with MarineTex that I tinted to match the deck color. I did not want to permanently mount it to the deck for maintenance reasons. My Quick Aster 500 came with a nice gasket that seals nicely to the aluminum plate. I used a router to cut out the chain hole in the deck to get a precise match.

Take a look at my photo album and the "Coho Improvements" section.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: