The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Onboard CR-25 for the first time...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ActiveCaptain

City/Region: Key Largo
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Onboard CR-25 for the first time... Reply with quote

I traveled to see a C-Ranger 25 tug for the first time (along with a CD-25 and a TC-255). I really liked the tug. It was hull #1 and I wonder how much has changed. The salesperson wasn't sure about a couple of things and I'm wondering if anyone can answer a couple of things:

1. Does it come with the thrusters running off the normal house bank? With this setup, the Raymarine electronics failed when the high load of the thrusters was drawn.

2. The upper half/topsides seems to be covered in gelcoat. The salesperson said that the rest of the hull (the blue part) was painted. Is this true? What type of paint is used?

3. The engine on the boat was the Yanmar 125. I know that this is no longer available. I thought that there was a problem with getting to one of the injectors (the one under the door). The rest of the engine seemed pretty good to work with. Has anyone removed this third injector without removing the engine?

4. The sound level was pretty good until we reached above 2,500 RPM's or so. I thought it was pretty loud after that (the cruising range). I also thought that there could be more sound insulation on the engine access inside the cabin. The noise level was high enough to make hearing the VHF difficult. Was this just me, this boat, or is there an issue with this?

5. The engine mounts were pretty small. I'd think that beefier mounts could help engine noise too. Were these changed in later models?

6. The salesperson said that all gray water goes into the holding tank. We didn't test it but that doesn't really make sense. It would be really nice if there was a Y-valve but we didn't poke around enough to think about looking for it while we were on the boat. What happens to gray water on this boat?

All in all we were left with a great impression of this boat. It has a nice fit with the type of cruising we'd like to do next (we're coming from a much larger trawler). The boat handles very well and has enough space to get by. Whoever designed this is very creative. The largest change that we'd need to make is turning that port side, inside "cave" into a storage system.
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi A-Capt,
I can answer a couple questions, Maybe. I have hull #6

1. The thrusters have their own battery and a master switch.

2. I have assumed the blue is gel coat, but one place where they bored a hole ( about 1 1/2 in ) in the wrong place was plugged with something and it looked like it was sprayed over. I guess they could have sprayed the same gel coat as the hull was laid with, if it is gel coat. I would like to have the factory clarify this topic.

3. I would like them to answer this question as well, because I don't know.

4. No issue for me. If you cruise with the door open it sucks in some exhaust, so we keep the door shut. Plus we had a boat with twin 8V71"s that you needed ear plugs in the engine room and did not do a lot of talking when boat was up out of the hole. My hearing ability leaves a lot to be desired. I hear just enough to like the sound of a diesel. I think putting a little sound material on the hatch cover might help some.

5. Hull # 1 was a kind of prototype and I think many changes took place after it was built and started the boat show circuit. You may be right about bigger mounts. Sounds like you know more about that , than me.

6. The key word in your question is "All" Sink goes over board. We have not used the shower yet but again, I had assumed it was pumped over board. The "Y" valve allows system to be sucked out or through macerator over board.

Notice I used the word "assume " a lot. ass u me. Now that you brought it up I am going to check it out.

Captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Captain: Good to see you back on the C-Brat site again. Jeff Messmer from the factory will be able to bring you up to speed on the many improvements/changes since hull #1. There are also some folks out there now who have traveled a bit in them.

Others should and will reply soon.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ActiveCaptain,

I have hull #15 with about 40 hours on it. Many more to come very soon.

Anyway, relative to your questions.

1. As Captd said, the problem you mentioned with the thrusters was fixed by having a separate battery. As delivered, hull 15 had a starter battery, thruster battery and two house batteries. I have added two additional house batteries.

2. The blue is gel coat.

3. Don't know - haven't tried.

4. The current larger engine is the Yanmar 110 and it is quieter than the 125. I agree that a little more sound insulation is not a bad idea but I was out today with a friend and he was quite amazed that at full throttle the noise level was okay. I'd like it a little quieter and will probably add some insulation but it's acceptable as delivered. Even my dog is more comfortable on this boat than on our previous one. It is also worth noting that the Yanmar 110 produces less smoke than any diesel I've ever used - including my truck.

5. Don't know if they've changed them. Jeff from the factory would know.

6. Unless I've completely missed it looking at the plumbing, the grey water goes overboard as is normal. Since I've not yet had to pump the holding tank and I have refilled the water tank, I think that it is not likely that any of it is getting into the holding tank.

As noted, there have been a lot of changes since Hull 1 and all seem to be improvements. Jeff Messmer would be the best one to give you a run down but I know of a bunch of little things that have been changed as the factory has learned from experience and from the owners feedback.

Yes - that side berth offers many possibilities - a cave for the kids, a wine cellar, and an endless number of storage opportunities.

I'm sure you will get a lot more feedback from others.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Onboard CR-25 for the first time... Reply with quote

ActiveCaptain wrote:
I6. The salesperson said that all gray water goes into the holding tank. We didn't test it but that doesn't really make sense. It would be really nice if there was a Y-valve but we didn't poke around enough to think about looking for it while we were on the boat. What happens to gray water on this boat?

It's my understanding that under current EPA regs, all grey water goes into the bilges and is eventually pumped overboard by the bilge pump. I think this is the issue that has everyone up in arms about -- there is a new fed reg that was intended to apply to just cruise ships but which inadvertently now applies to all recreational boating. I think legislation is in the works to exempt recreational boats again.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
ActiveCaptain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that the blue hull covering was gelcoat. I also couldn't believe that gray water was getting fed into the holding tank. I can see how the Yanmar 110 will produce less noise and that an extra battery solves the thruster problem. I'm sure that there are other little problems that are being solved as this boat evolves.

I'd still really like to know about injector access (all of them) and engine mount changes.

We also think that if we're towing the boat over roads for longer distance, we can stay on the boat as an "RV". I'm assuming that others have done that - or have they yet with the R-25? If you are in an RV center, what do you do about gray water (from sinks)? I would assume that you can't just allow it to just go overboard when on land.

As long as I'm asking everything that's on my mind...how easy is the R-25 to launch and haul out? I'd see using this boat by doing a fair amount of launch/cruise/haul's to play in areas that we haven't cruised before.

Finally, is there a master list of boat ramps anywhere? I'd assume that knowing about boat ramps is a pretty important thing. We're finding small lists here and there for a few states. We're about to add a large national database of bridges to ActiveCaptain and would like to add boat ramps next (mainly for our own future R-25 use!).

Cheers!
davehogue555

City/Region: Cibolo
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat US has one, not sure of how complete it is.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC: Yes, many of us go into the "boaterhome" mode when on the road. An easy simple fix to the grey water overboard on the sink is to install a T with a shut off. From the T, use a hose into a 5 gallon or other size container that fits under the sink for the time in the "no gray water" zones.

Depending on the length of the stay on the hard, dump the grey into the head for the holding tank....or take it to the showers with you.....or ...on the walk with the dog.
ActiveCaptain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davehogue555 wrote:
Boat US has one, not sure of how complete it is.

I have seen that one. It seems to document marinas but doesn't talk a lot about the boat ramps. I'd sort of like to see something that gives locations, size of boat launching possible, fees, parking, etc.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC/Jeffery Siegel: You may want to hook up with Bill and El on Halcyon...or look thru their web site. Often when they travel in differant parts of America, they include ramp info, parking...security and other matters. Or, just hang around a while....and as far as launching boats in the C-Dory range size, the info will pop up.

I think in some of the Corps of Engineer River charts, they may also have information on Corps ramps at least.

Byrdman
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Captain...

Most of the gps models and chips show most of the boat ramps. The Raymarine even shows overhead and panoramic photos of the marinas, slips and ramps.

You can put a Navionics Fishin' Hot Spots , or Gold chip into Lowrance or the Garmin gps units (even the auto ones) can download waterway data. You just select "Marinas" or "Ramps" and search, or, if you have a Bluetooth cell phone connection, you just push the phone icon and the gps unit will call the marina for you and you can ask where the best ramp is.

We used to buy all the RV and Trucker and Cruiser pubs for lists of key spots, but now that and more is on most of the good gps units.

Also, Mapquest, Raymarine, Garmin and others have a computer program where you can check out your route on your portable computer using the gps chips.

John
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC,
I have a power winch for the Ranger and have yet to plug it in. I have pulled it a foot on level ground to get it into place by hand. It slides well on the plastic.The last launch on our lake was a snap. A local told me he has trouble putting in and taking out his boat, an IO. But being 25 ft long plus hitch on trailer, it is out there 30 ft. plus I have a 5 ft extension on my truck to get me out from under my camper. Now I am out there 35 ft. My thinking is if it floats the stern I can get it in and out. It powers its self on and off pretty well. The kedged prop take a little of the worry away. So far I always had someone help load and launch. It might be a problem to get off the boat when necessary to hook up winch and drive it out of the water by yourself. If you can get real close to the dock it could be done ..............But other than that, no problem.
Captd
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... It's a good Idea to get the paper or waterproof, printed maps of any prospective cruising area. The MapQuest waterproof books list all the marinas in an area and specify exactly what amenities each has, such as fuel, ramp, service, groceries, restaurants, etc..
They also list the VHF stations monitored, the call name, the phone, sometimes internet and FAX.

And they come with a CD rom disc with which you can 'pre-navigate' on your portable PC and/or just take the PC along with you on the boat.

John
ActiveCaptain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Also... MapQuest waterproof books...

Thanks for all of the good info. I've learned a lot. I was thinking that a trailer extension might take all of the issues out of launching the tug - just need to find one strong enough.

You probably meant the Maptech waterproof books. I've sort of been working for a few years on ways of making things much easier and more accurate than those static books. Also, anything tied to advertising eventually has to face a tradeoff between income and truthfulness. Ever see a negative comment written about a facility in a Maptech guidebook?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you folks with the R-25 Tugs have Guide-Ons on your trailers to help with the alignment when launching and retrieving?

How about a ladder on the bow post of the trailer to get on and off when working by yourself? (Or a collapsable ladder mounted on the bow of the boat that would extend down toward the trailer tongue?)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: