The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dielectric Silicon Grease Usage ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Dielectric Silicon Grease Usage ??? Reply with quote

Yesterday after running for about two hours my GPS turned itself off and my radio "blinked off and back on". This happened twice about fifteen minutes apart. I was almost home so I just turned them off. Both are the only items on the same 10 amp accessory switch. I figured I'd take the connections apart , clean them, apply dielectric silicon grease and put them back together

As I was getting ready to use the grease, I realized I wasn't exactly sure how to use it (and there were no directions with it addressing usage). I assumed I'd place it on the metal tabs coming out of the circuit breakers and switches and then replace the female portion of the connector. Because the grease is an insulator, I got to thinking that if it wasn't to be used this way, I'd have a heck of a time later on getting it out of the female portion of the connector if I was wrong. Did I have it right and just suffer from cold feet, or is there a more appropriate way to use the stuff?

Bill
Edgewater, MD
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you are using the grease as an anti corrosion coating (there are a number of greases and sprays available).

The metal to metal contact will still occur, as the spade is inserted into the "u"--clip etc. Just dab it where most convienent and where it will give most protection

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Alasgun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Dielectric silicon grease usage Reply with quote

At your local electrical supply they will have an aerosol product used to coat circuit boards after they are assembled. I don't recall the name of this product but do remember it was $20.00 per can. Looking back from more experienced eyes now, I would pay $40.00 per can as this stuff has worked great. It is tenacious, clean, user friendly and we have not had any corrosion issues to date. I used it to spray all battery connections, all exposed circuits at the helm etc. anywhere electrical connections were made.
The brand is probably not that important, I'm sure your local guys will have a direction to point you if you decide to go that way.
Mike
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: loose connection Reply with quote

I had similar problems with my Ray Marine equipment hooked up to the accessory switch. When the installer looked at the connections he found that the wire at the box where attached was severed and shorting out. I know this does not answer your question about the grease but I thought while you were in the neighborhood you may want to check that out. These are really cool boats. I hope you are having as much enjoyment as
Cathy & I.
If you head south for the winter, plan on a couple of days at lake Martin to break up the trip and look us up.
JB
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dielectric grease protects electrical connections. It serves as a protectant from air, water, salt, corrosion, dirt ......, and does not conduct electricity. Di in this case means not or non.
m2cw

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also have an inline fuse somewhere aft, near the battery switches. All of mine were "not nice looking". I removed them all and installed fuse blocks.

If I trimmed the motor, the GPS alarmed "low voltage", which should not happen.

Also, you may have inline fuses for your electronics. While probably not
the problem in this case, since multiple devices failed at the same time, you
probably want to install fuse blocks and remove the inline fuses.

Mike
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's post, reminded me--that we packed all of the in line fuses holders with water proof grease to prevent the potential problem he described. As an annual maintaince issue, you would check these.

Also checking voltage at the console, as well as at the battery will give some idea if there is any resistance in the circuit. I have direct reading guages from the batteries, and then several of the electronics, read the voltage which they "see".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: