The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Done with #@!! ProPulse
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Done with #@!! ProPulse Reply with quote

For the third time in our boating career, we broke blades off the ProPulse. First time, in the CD22, with twin 40s, got back on the unaffected engine. First time on the CD25, changed out the prop while bounding around in Bellingham Bay - not easy. Third time, yesterday returning from Sucia, exact same spot as second time, at Pt. Francis where Hale Passage enters Bellingham Bay, it happened again. The four blade prop became a one blade prop, and no she go. It was WAY too sloppy to even think about changing the prop, thank heavens we had the BF15 kicker - 5 knots across Bellingham Bay. Going back to the stock 3 blade stainless now, who knows, the way we are loaded down now, it might just be the cat's meow. Anybody who wants the ProPulse for a BF150/135 and three blades (had two spares, you'll have to buy the fourth one), PM me, I will let it go very reasonably.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, went to replace the broken blades on the ProPulse, and the bloody center hub itself was broken - so much for the strength of the composite material! So here's the deal - I have 3 new in box replacement blades, Part No. 9501, which retail for $29.95 each, so this would be ~$90 plus tax at WM. Anybody who has a ProPulse for a BF150 can buy these three blades from me for $50, and I will throw in the one remaining used blade, which appears fine, and all the rest of the hub parts. I will deliver to the Bellingham CBGT or Gulf Island cruise, or you can pay me what it costs to ship it to you FedEx. Any takers?
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I would buy your propulse parts but they will not fit on mine. I do have a question for you though. Did the outer or inner hub break?

Thanks
stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the break. Actually it broke in all three places where the blades broke. Anybody care to hazard a guess as to what is going on here?

stevej wrote:
Pat, I would buy your propulse parts but they will not fit on mine. I do have a question for you though. Did the outer or inner hub break?

Thanks
stevej
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, My guess is, plastic parts vs 150 hp and rocks! Horsepower and rocks win Embarrased Besides, Stainless is much more macho CoolSmile

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new aluminum 15.5 x 15 x 3 prop on order, sorry! SS is great but just too expensive! Not sure whether this is the right decision, but the die is cast! Stay tuned!

Dreamer wrote:
Pat, My guess is, plastic parts vs 150 hp and rocks! Horsepower and rocks win Embarrased Besides, Stainless is much more macho CoolSmile
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
[size=18]Got a new aluminum 15.5 x 15 x 3 prop on order, sorry! SS is great but just too expensive! Not sure whether this is the right decision, but the die is cast! Stay tuned!

Not sure what broke it, but if you periodically hit rocks, then by all means go aluminum. Whatever broke it, the aluminum will be stronger, and hopefully will not tear up so bad that you cannot limp home. However, a Stainless prop is so strong that much of any impact energy would be transferred to the splines and prop shaft..or worse. Better a prop then your lower unit.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody care to hazard a guess as to what is going on here?

It's all that PNW sunshine. Is the boat stored outside with the prop in the open when on the trailer? Maybe some UV degradation taking place? (I can't believe I beat Joe to this one.)

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are basically saying the rain made it fall apart? I can TOTALLY buy that...it is making ME fall apart!

TyBoo wrote:
It's all that PNW sunshine.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I was serious with the UV question. Here's just one line quoted from an online reference I used:

Quote:
UV energy absorbed by plastics can excite photons, which then create free radicals.

Seen many radicals wandering around? Maybe your prop was sabotaged and this is a Homeland Security matter.

Where is Joe?? I know DoD is sometimes slow with his erudition, but I am worried about the professor.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(A) I don't believe we hit a rock, did not feel a darn thing when it went...
(2) No cracks about us radicals, please!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, you have my sympathy. I broke the plastic prop in the middle of 'Dent rapids.

I now have an Apollo stainless steel prop, 4 blade by 16 pitch. Its imported by Michigan Wheel. a dealer balanced it for me under warranty, and we're using it on the Great Lakes this summer. So far its pretty good. It was ~$200, on the internet. Another $25 for a spare shear fitting.

I think the plastic is just too brittle, cause we hit something small and it took out 3 blades. that's unacceptable, dangerous and downright scary.

Boris
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I know you've ordered the aluminum. I used aluminum for many years, having the props welded and reground almost every year. Much better than plastic, BUT - now that I've experienced the resilience of Stainless Steel, I'd be reluctant to go back to aluminum.

Last Christmas, while up in the San Juans, we bumped alot of logs in spite of taking great care. Those stainless props show no signs at all of trauma.

Also, down in Oklahoma, with all the flooding, we're dodging logs every weekend again. Still not a sign of nick, bend, or trauma of any kind on the stainless prop. I think you'd get your money's worth out of stainless by just avoiding the costs of re-conditioning the aluminum.

Thanks for posting your experience with the comp props, though. I'm checking them off my list of possibilities!

John
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated from alum. to stainless years ago. Ain't never goin' back. Too much stuff in the water here in the winter (11 months of the year) and I couldn't afford all the prop repairs. Have never had to replace a stainless prop nor damaged a lower unit. Fingers crossed!

Dusty
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture Pat. The reason I ask is that My propulse broke the hub in the same place this last weekend (40 miles of shore) so I had to do an on the water prop change back to the aluminum prop.

I have never hit anything with my prop so am thinking this is a problem with the Propulse design. I ordered a new hub will be interesting to see if the design has changed.

If the propulse did not perform so much better than the aluminum prop I would have some reservations about going back to it. I do have to say that the Propulse has been problem free for over 4 years and I was never able to go a year without damaging the aluminum prop and spending 50 to 75 bucks to have repaired.

I think Boris has the right deal with the SS 4 blade Apollo but I hate to spend the money to go that route when I may replace my motor next year.

Thanks again
stevej
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: