The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Box + Charger Install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Battery Box + Charger Install Reply with quote

In attempt to remove some of the heavy listing to starboard on my CD19, I'm moving my batteries from the starboard locker to between the tanks. I've ended up with a pretty slick install - thought I'd share the details.

I started with a Blue Seas battery box, model 4021. These are very cool boxes - they have numerous cutouts for cable routing, and are built like a brick you-know-what. The interior dimensions are perfect for a pair of group 24's. I have a pair of the slightly smaller Optima Blue Tops in it, but a couple pieces of 3/4" plywood shims snugged things up just right. The unit fits completely under the motor well.

Upon seeing how stout the box was, I got the thought of mounting my Guest charger to it. I'd been considering a number of other mounting locations, but they all required drilling more holes in the boat - small ones for mounting the charger, and a large 1 3/4" hole for the charging jack.

Here's a pic with the top off, and one with it enclosed. Made for a very clean install - I'll post the finished pics tomorrow.

Bill

Bill,

Great looking setup! Very nice idea and execution on the charger attached to the box. I'm anxious to see the final installation.

Thanks for sharing this one. My juices are flowing!

Mark

Bill --

If your voltmeters are 0-16v there's a nice little circuit at http://www.homepower.com/files/voltmeters.pdf which will expand their scales to only read 11-16v, the useful range. A voltmeter, regardless of scale is not much good, of course, for determining battery capacity unless the batteries have been sitting off over night, but better than nothing.

-- Chuck

Ok Bill where did you buy the battery box model 4021by Blue Seas? I’ve looked at West Marine and Boat US & neither store stocks this battery box. They say it will 3 to 4 weeks to get one and were out of here in about two. taking a little ride north

I’m in Antioch and I think you live over the hill someplace, if you could let me know I’ll have it by noon tomorrow. Installed before the sunsets.

This looks like a great set up I have the two Optima blue tops just need the box and charger. My wife of 34 years and I are heading north soon and hope to have the extra battery set up up and running. Some people do like to take along things that can drain a battery dead, thats OK she has been takng me along for some time now.

thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Got mine at West Marine in Alameda. They don't stock them, but it only took two days - they got it from the warehouse in Sacramento.

I'm guessing you tried the West Marine in Pittsburg. If you want to try Alameda, call and ask for Kawika (pronounced KUH-VEE-KUH) - he's the store manager, and has been incredibly helpful to me while rigging Da Nag.

I work just through the tube in Oakland - I'm about a 5 minute drive from West Marine. If you can set it up over the phone with Kawika, I'll be glad to pick it up at lunch and bring it back to Pleasant Hill - save you a bit of driving.

Bill

Thanks for the offer but I called and they didn’t have that battery box either. It would take 3 to 4 weeks to get the box in. So I call to one of the Optima battery folks & I should have the long box which takes the two batteries in about 4 days. Not what I was looking to do but just hope the quality is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: