The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Potential new boat owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark&diana

City/Region: Beaverton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Nyanza II
Photos: Nyanza II
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Potential new boat owners Reply with quote

We would appreciate everyone's input!

My wife and I are very close to purchasing a new TC 255 (we just completed our 'sea trial' – but on the Willamette – this morning). Based on what I had seen and read on-line (including the helpful email thread on this forum – "Tomcat vs. 25 Cruiser"), I had intended to go with the C-25, but now that we have seen the boats, we were both taken by the extra cabin room on the TC 255 and it just seemed to 'fit' us better.

Now for confessions, although I spent many happy hours on my grandfather's boat in the Puget Sound as a kid growing up – I have never owned a boat so am a complete 'rookie'!!

What would you recommend that we look for/inspect in terms of the boat? If we decide to take the plunge, what types of accessories (electronics, etc) and/or modifications would your recommend we considerer? Among other things, the boat as presently configured comes with two Honda 150's, EZ-loader bunk trailer, anchor windlass, refrigerator, Wallas diesel stove, rear station steering, short radar arch with rocket launchers, three battery system and Honda digital gauge upgrade. We are thinking of also adding a Lowrance "113C" GPS, canvas camper back and, of course, VHF radio and compass. What else should be considering?

Many thanks for you comments.

Hull #66
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet is to hook up with a Brat that lives near you and have a good long chat. There's bound to be a Tomcat owner who would love to help you.

Welcome to the fold!

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would second the recommendation to talk to another TC owner near you, I would also suggest that if you don't know what you need, that you try not to buy anything until you do know what you need. Many of the things that I chose for my TC were based on experiences with my previous boat, but you don't have that option. Take the camper canvas. There are many different ways to build it, and until you have seen a variety of approaches and experienced using the cockpit of your TC you will not be able to anticipate your needs. For example I learned from boarding a C-25 that I would need a bigger opening, so I will probably go with a camper that is a few inches higher than the cabin top.

My $0.02.
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Mark...welcome and nice to see someone in the neighborhood!

Can't say too much about the TC but did ride on it at Blakely Island in the San Juans with 13 folks aboard. Honda 135s...ran like a champ! Loved the space on it.

There are tons of posts that you can read through to gather knowledge about all the boats.

Wish you luck with your decision and hope to see you around!

John

mark&diana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

We realize this is a pretty big potential step without prior experience - but we figured might as well jump in!

Assuming that we go forward with the purchase (which looks pretty likely), linking up with other C-Dory/TC owners in the area and going slow with the accessories until we know the boat better makes a lot of sense. At a minimum, however, I'm pretty sure we are going to want to add a GPS and VHS radio - any thoughts on the Lowrance 113C or 38C?

Again - greatly appreciate the input and encouragement -

Thanks, Mark
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, As to electronics, determine where you can place them and then get the biggest display(s) that will fit. I'd say Raymarine, Garmin, and Furuno have the most popular lines. The three electronic charting systems are Garmin's Blue-Chart, Navionics' Platinum, Gold, And Silver, and C-Map C-Max. They are all real good. I suggest you go to Rodgers Marine Electronics and "play" with all the contenders. They have knowledgeable folks and a good inventory.

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark and Diana:

Finding a local Tomcat owner is the best advice.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Hold off on the compass until you have all the electronics installed. You will want to place the electronics for best visibility on the dash. Only after you have the electronics in place will you know where to put the compass for minimum magnetic interference (deviation). You can keep a small hand-held compass on board for now.

In addition to your main GPS (which I assume will be a chartplotter), you should consider keeping a small backup GPS unit and paper cahrts for your area. If you do not have prior experience with charts etc., join the local Power Squadron and sign up for their courses.

http://www.usps.org/localusps/beaverton/

For the canvas, look at "Thataway"'s album. There are many good photographs in there that you can use as a base for your design.

As far as the brand of electronics is concerned, you will get many opinions. I know you are considering a Lowrance unit. I have a Raymarine C-80 multifunctional display with 2 KW radar, VHS and depth sounder and have been reasonably happy. I did have a glitch with the radar, but the company has been good about warranty work. If you do go in this direction, make sure that the electronics are installed by a Raymarine certified tech, otherwise the company will not pay for labor on warranty repairs.

Keep an assortment of fuses on the boat- they will blow.

Nothing special that I can think of on inspection. There were many issues in the earlier boats, but I believe that most have been fixed. Finding another Tomcat owner to go over the boat with you would be great.

Are you going to keep your boat on the trailer or in the water?

Good luck on the Tomcat. It is a great boat!

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark & Diana – I can't be much help with your decisions on your electronics package, but want to welcome you aboard. I hope our paths cross someday.
________
Dave
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark & Diana, For some more ideas on equipment and options, check out the extensive photo albums for Thataway, Tomahawk, Lori Ann, Dreamer, Reef Madness and other TC255s.

They are a great boat, you'll love it. Ours is all Raymarine plus Icom radios and Azimuth Fluxgate compass.

Enjoy!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see a TC255 equipped for some serious cruising, check out Discovery. Brent and Dixie have thoughtfully put together a very capable boat, utilizing all the space that the TomCat provides.

Regarding the electronics: we have been very pleased with our Raymarine integrated chartplotter/radar/sounder/VHF/autopilot. You will hear pros and cons for all the different manufacturers (we were also pleased with the Garmin equipment we had on our sailboats), but I feel it comes down to what fits your style. They all do similar stuff, just different button pushes or knob turning to get there.

Good luck with your decisions.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

mark&diana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the advice and welcomes aboard (which I hope is not premature). Assuming that we can reach "agreeable terms" - hope to make the purchase on Tuesday and then the fun begins! We look forward to meeting other C-Dory owners in our greater Portland/PNW backyard.

I have spent some enjoyable time looking at the photo albums of Thataway, Dreamer and others – lots of good ideas!

We'll let you know what happens later this week.

Thanks
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: TC 255 Reply with quote

Mark and Diana,

There are some good comments in the thread. With respect to electronics, I highly agree with the advice to go to Roger's and have a go with each of the various packages. The folks there are great. Diana and I went with Raymarine C80, but that was just personal choice.

The other advice about the camper back is also good. I think you will find that you will find the camper back a necessity. We had Bentley's make ours, and they did a great job, but I have seen others that I think are better. A feature that makes it easy to get on and off the boat at a dock is to have a zipper in the top panel that you can open and then step into the boat rather than crawling in. I let Bentley's talk me out of this, and I regret it. Knotty C is a local boat with an example. I think they had Canvas Riggers on Whidbey Island do their work.

Check out the photo albums for owner improvements for other great ideas. Tim Welborn has done a number of things to his CD22 (True Story) that are worthy of plagiarism.

Kind Regards,

Steve
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark and Diana,

Have fun with the new boat!

As far as the Lowrance is concerned, if you are going to be doing a lot of fishing I don't think it can be beat! It is a great unit. I have used the older model 110, several of the 337's on various boats over the last couple years and I much prefer Lowrance's Analog Sonar over the Raymarine and Garmin Digital. It seems that the engineers who do the digital conversion like to put too much of a filter on them for my fishing needs where as I can pump up the sensitivity on the Lowrance and see a much better picture of what is under the boat. One neat feature of the Lowrance is the ability to record your trip to the memory card and replay it at a later date (even on your computer if you download their similator and have a card reader).

The drawback to the Lowrance is that they don't have all the features for the Radar that say Garmin and Raymarine have. So, if you want Radar it might be that you would want a different unit. The big advantage of digital sonar is the ability to have 2 head units running sonar off the same transducer. So if you need that functionality you will need to go with a digital sonar.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:
I have used the older model 110, several of the 337's on various boats over the last couple years and I much prefer Lowrance's Analog Sonar over the Raymarine and Garmin Digital.

I was not able to find these on the Lowrance website. What would be the equivalent current model(s)?

Thanks,
Warren
mark&diana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok - I forgot to reply to your question "Are you going to keep your boat on the trailer or in the water?" [Haven't figured out how to insert excepts from other posts yet].

We will need to keep it in the water for now since I only have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is not big enough to pull the 10,000 pounds I understand the TC is when trailered.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: