The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Beware of Plastic Crud in Freshwater Tank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Beware of Plastic Crud in Freshwater Tank. Reply with quote

The freshwater system worked fine yesterday in the slip. Today I turned the water on and it petered out quickly. After calling Cutter Marine for tech advice, I removed the filter (held in by a difficult to see little ear) and then removed the filter holder from the input line. I'm so glad I did this last step as it wasn't part of the tech advice

There were a small amount of plastic shavings in the filter screen, but much more significantly there was a piece of plastic crud in the input line that was so large it wouldn't fit in the nipple of the filter.

After removing the crud (shavings and the big piece), the pump still is working very poorly, never reaching sufficient pressure to turn itself off. I can see air at the top of the clear plastic piece. Even with the water tank full, water exits the hose leading to the pump (but disconnected) at a rate appreciably lower than I would have anticipated. I may have another blockage either in the hose from the tank to the pump or at the fitting where that hose connects to the tank. If scheduling permits (and that's iffy) I'll see if I can work on it further this afternoon.

The Cutter tech guy said it isn't at all unusual for plastic shavings from the tank to block the filter to a point where the pump won't pump. I could see that, but the large piece of plastic crud was quite disconcerting. Give that we were out in rough water last week, it's possible everything was stirred up.

As an aside, the manual says to drain the water tank before working on the pump. I let the water run into the bilge (always very wet) and let the bilge pump take care of it.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
Alasgun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Beware of plastic crud in fresh water tank. Reply with quote

We have no filter on our 04 25ftr! And speaking of disconcerting, I find it rather odd that you must drain the entire system to work on the pump or anything else in the water system. I only did that once, and once drained I put a nice ball valve in the main line to make life easier in the future.
Mike
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Plastic Crud in Freshwater Tank. Reply with quote

You have a manual?? Our CD25 "manual" is just a notebook with the manufacturer manuals from the various components that were installed. Do you have something more than that?

I also am unaware of a filter in our fresh water system. But our system has worked quite well since the original "self-priming" pump that didn't was replaced.

Bill.Secure wrote:

As an aside, the manual says to drain the water tank before working on the pump. I let the water run into the bilge (always very wet) and let the bilge pump take care of it.

Bill
Edgewater, MD

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Plastic Crud in Freshwater Tank. Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
You have a manual?? Our CD25 "manual" is just a notebook with the manufacturer manuals from the various components that were installed. Do you have something more than that?

Pat,
The factory came up with a CD25 manual last fall. It's similar to the one for the 22.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Bill.Secure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a cable up the input hose that connects the freshwater tank to the pump. I think I ran it far enough to enter the tank and there was no difference in flow from that hose after having performed this operation.

The pump runs long enough to build a head of pressure but can't maintain the pressure even though the pump continues to run after a faucet is turned on. The stream starts strong and then peters out after about 30 seconds. I'm going to see if I can find anything germane on pump priming, but this is what was happening with the freshwater system this morning prior to my opening things up to and removing the plastic crud, so I doubt I have a priming problem

With the addition of this problem, my count of warranty items to be corrected is now either nine or ten, depending on how I count.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possiable that some debris got into the pump. I had a pump cycling problem and the factory replaced the pump. I will tear the old pump down and rebuild it. I suspect that a small pice of plastic in the valves was the problem. All of the water systems should have a FINE screen--not the coarse screen used for showers, between the tank and pump.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the supply tube fairly rigid?

A weak or soft walled tube could collapse from air pressure as a strong pump reduces the pressure behind it when putting out pressure on the output side.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Bill.Secure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The input line seems rigid although it has become very hot out the past several days so that could make the hose softer. The problem occurs even when I disconnect the lines from the output side of the pump. It has occurred to me that the hose could be constricted by a bend.

The opening to reach the input hose is so small and constricted I can just get my hand in a small distance so I can't check for bends. The hose appears to leave the tank, make a circle with about a ten inch radius, and then connect to the pump. From the feel, it seems there is a clamp with a screw into the hull part way around the bend. It looks like any maintenance to this area must be done by removing the "tray" which is mounted 12-18 inches above the hull. There are two trays, one port & the other starboard. Their main function is supporting the batteries.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

It is possible that the tank vent is plugged or restricted.

To test, try draining the tank thru the output hose with the filler cap removed. If the flow is improved, then the vent line or vent fitting is blocked or plugged.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couold not find a filter in my 2003, CD 25. The tank is foamed in, along with the fittings and tubing under the V berth.
I guess another project is adding a filter ASAP....
Any other owners of 2003 and 2004 C D 25's have a filter inline before the pump?
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty certain I don't have an input filter to the pump. I put in a large hatch at the forward part of the cabin's footwell to observe the tank's water level, and also a port hole with screw on lid on top to get to the tank fittings.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Bill.Secure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding from Cutter Marine that the older models (whatever that means) didn't have filters and that filters were added because the pumps were biting the dust.

Over the weekend I spoke to another 2007 owner whose pump had given up its last squirt. He had removed the pump and it was marked "not for marine use" and a different model number suitable for marine use was cited.

My pump worked well enough over the weekend to provide sufficient water for toilet flushing. In operation it sounds better but I haven't tested it yet to see whether it will produce a prolonged normal flow again. If it does, then it either finally became primed or it came back to life only to die again another day.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
Bill.Secure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now aware of three 2007 CD-25s that have (or have had) recent fresh water pump problems. I noticed Wild Blue's post, my own boat, Barnacle Bill, and one other 2007 CD-25 I encountered over the weekend.

Barnacle Bill's pump has, for the moment, taken a vitamin pill and gotten all its energy back. I've no idea whether the recovery is temporary or permanent. I've been systematically cleaning, tightening and applying dielectric silicon compound to the electrical connections, fuses, etc and it's possible this aided the recovery.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "not for marine use" may be a spark protection problem--which may not usually be an issue in outboard boats (since the spark protection issue is in engine rooms--but then on the other hand if there are fuel tank problems...and the pump is in the under the cockpit floor with the fuel tank--that is an issue. )

I am going to put a filter in--already have one on hand. But in the Tom Cat 255, the pump failed within a few months, with the filter present, so that is no guarantee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: