The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Johnson 90: "CHK ENG" alert?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup: No more CH ENG alerts, but recently the engine has started stalling when I throttle down to idle after running strong. This is especially disconcerting while on final approach to a moorage. I had to "dead stick" into the float yesterday, which was not all that much fun!

So here's what happens: Cold, the engine starts fine. It runs fine. Then, when everything's hot, and you throttle down suddenly (not even all the way to idle, by the way; any sudden down-throttle might produce this), it dies. That would be bad enough, except that it won't start again! Not without playing throttle or waiting.

I'm a complete newbie at this engine diagnosis and maintenance stuff, but it seems to me that there is some problem in the delivery of fuel or the fuel/oxygen mixture. I assume my first step should be to check the fuel filter? A friend of mine suggested that CHK ENG might have meant that a sensor was not supplying appropriate data, and if so, the engine controller software may not be mixing fuel and oxygen appropriately anymore.

Anybody else have a similar story with a 4-stroke EFI engine?

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
timflan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've got to start somewhere, and this sounds simple enough. Not that I've ever changed a fuel filter before, but I'm confident I'll figure it out.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim-

It sound like Dan's got you onto a likely track.

If you can't figure it out, you can always take it to a Suzi or Johnson dealer and have them plug their diagnostic computer into your engine's computer and download the codes and preformance data (at least if your engine's similar to my Yamaha). AT times, these things seem to have dimensions unfamiliar to us old-time backyard mechanics!

Joe Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
timflan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do exactly that...I'm still not sure what CHK ENG meant, after all! Anybody got a recommendation for such a mechanic between Tacoma and Anacortes?
timflan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens!

I've changed the fuel/water seperator filter element, as well as the low-pressure fuel filter in the engine. See http://www.navagear.com/2007/07/exploring-nooks-and-crannies-with-a-digital-camera/ for some pictures.

Didn't fix it.

Then I was reading in my service manual about the CTP ("closed throttle position") switch, and it said "If CTP switch has failed, engine will tend to stall when decelerating". Bingo!

Yesterday I took my multitester to the boat to check its function, and it seems to work fine: ON when the throttle is closed and OFF when it's open. Since I only experience the stalling problem when the enngine is hot, I decided to run the boat. With the cover off the engine, I let it run at the dock. Still no problem, CTP switch still functioning properly.

So I decided to take it out and run it at higher rpms for five or ten minutes, duplicating the conditions that have been consistently producing stalls. Went out, ran around outside the marina. No stalling. So the problem just fixed itself, then? Weird.

OK, this is where it gets good:

So I put the cover back on the engine, ran around a bit more, throttled back to idle, and the engine started working harder and harder until it stalled!

THE COVER! Tried it twice more, and sure enough, when hot, it won't idle with the cover on...and if you pull the cover off before it stalls, it will recover and idle just fine.

MY THEORY: exhaust that is supposed to exit the engine completely is, instead, ending up inside the engine enclosure, thus oxygen-starving the engine. When running faster, enough air is stirred around, perhaps due to the motion of the boat through the air, that the engine runs OK.

Anybody have experience with this sort of problem?
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timflan,

If exhaust is somehow not exiting properly with the cover ON at low speeds (or exhaust being sucked into the cover's air intake port/slot) THAT would be a major design flaw -- not probable, but who knows...

Since it acts up with the cover ON, could the cover be heating the engine and components greater causing some of these anomalies?

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
timflan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Timflan,

If exhaust is somehow not exiting properly with the cover ON at low speeds (or exhaust being sucked into the cover's air intake port/slot) THAT would be a major design flaw -- not probable, but who knows...

Since it acts up with the cover ON, could the cover be heating the engine and components greater causing some of these anomalies?

I don't think it's a design flaw...I think something is wrong, and exhaust is getting inside when it's supposed to go outside. One other piece of evidence: a couple months ago, when I went to check the oil level, I was suprised to find the dipstick handle less brightly colore than I remembered it. Instead of yellow, it was kind of dull yellowish brown. Oh well, maybe I'm thinking of the dipstick handle in my truck. But since then, I've been trying to pay attention to the appearance of the engine components beneath the cover, and I THINK things are getting dirtier in there, but I'm not sure.

Now I'm starting to feel like my initial perception was probably correct, and I probably should have investigated more thoroughly. Engine was still running fine at that point, though, so if it ain't broke...

But the dirtying up of components within the engine enclosure would be consistent with exhaust going out the wrong way. It might also be consistent with too much heat, as you suggest. I'm just not sure what to check next.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that engine be under warranty? Take it to the dealer. It'd be a good way to find out what kind of dealer you have.

Boris
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Johnson 90: "CHK ENG" alert? Reply with quote

timflan wrote:
So I was crossing Puget Sound on Monday with little Arwen at the helm (and Raymarine doing the actual driving!). I was rigging up fenders and lines as we approach the entrance to Blake Island's little harbor, when all of a sudden some alarm is going off. The "Systemcheck" tachometer tells me to CHK ENG.

Um...OK...Check Engine how, exactly? For what? I throttled down to idle, listening to the sound. Seemed like it might be a little rough, but might just be my imagination. I'm pretty close to the harbor, and I'd rather be inside than out if something's going wrong, so I add a little throttle and drive us in, keeping the RPMs low. Tie up to a float and shut 'er down without incident.

I checked the oil, and it was fine. Arwen and I explored the island for a couple of hours, and when we came back, the engine started up just fine, idled fine, and we made a run home to Edmonds (about 17 miles) without incident.

So what was that all about? I've just reviewed two owner's mauals and a service manual, and I can find only one SPECIFIC indication of what can cause a CHK ENG allert:

Low Battery Voltage Caustion System
Activated when battery voltage decreases to less than 9 volts for 30 seconds.

Um...OK. It seems to me I checked my other guages during the alert, and Voltage was fine, somewhere in the 14-16V range as usual. Little Arwen DOES have a way of playing with switches, but the only high-draw item she might have actuated would be the anchor windlass. I doubt she held that switch down for 30 seconds. She can barely push it down at all, and she can't lift it up at all. I know this because I asked her to help me raise the anchor earlier that morning. So see, I know she was interested in this new switch, and might have given it some attention while I wasn't looking.

Any other ideas? What part of my ENG should I actually CHK?

Kelp over thr water intake. Been there & done that!! Laughing
timflan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've verified that exhaust is leaking out of the lower portion of the exhaust manifold. I can see it and feel it. I can't really do anything to fix it until I pull the boat out of the water.

Mac, it looks like I'll be over sometime soon to fetch my trailer! Smile
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound good...

Do you know where you are going to take it for repair?

I'll start to cut back the weeds from the trailer to find it and get it ready - you can come by anytime (even if we are not here) -

Mac
timflan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mac! Looks like we might come by for the trailer as early as late next week. No sooner, certainly.
timflan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Ranger wrote:
Do you know where you are going to take it for repair?

I'll take it to Jacobsen's Marine in Ballard. I'e never had them do work for me, but each time I'm in there for a part or something, they've been helpful.

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with Jacobsen's?
timflan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timflan wrote:
I'll take it to Jacobsen's Marine in Ballard.

OK, the boat's in the shop, and I'm about as anxious as a father in a maternity ward. I've no doubt it can be fixed...the question is "how much will it cost?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: