View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Anchor/windlass operation Reply with quote

I haven't made the CD purchase yet but am getting close. Just installed a 40' x 36' x 15' all metal car-port to store her. Next project is to replace the manual transmission in my truck with a stronger unit for better towing. I have been studying these sights for the past couple years. ANYWAY, could someone please explain the operational steps of anchoring with a windlass vs. a standard setup?

I.E. when the anchor is dropped with the windlass: Do you simple push a button for "Anchors away"? Do you then have to climb forward to secure the line to a cleat? Or is the windlass strong enough? When retrieved does the rope feed into the locker without additional work? Can all this be done at the helm? With the manual anchor: When you retrieve: do you pile all the rope on the deck and then go below and pull again thru the deck pipe into the locker???
Thanks for explaining the anchor drill.

Chris

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Chris. You are the first person in the United States of America to build the boat shed before getting the boat. I sense a wife needing just a little more persuading? "Geez, honey, it sure is silly to let the carport go to waste."

The windlass anchor drill is as simple as pushing the switch one way for down, and the other way for up. A pivoting bow roller is pretty close to a must for self-launching (I just today put one on my boat!). The rode tails off thru a hole under the windlass and into the locker just fine. The CD22 anchor locker will hold 300' of 1/2" rope and 15' of 1/4" chain. Oh, sometimes a good bump will make the chain bounce off the top of the pile and spill into the berth, but it pays out from there no problem.

I have always trusted the windlass to hold the line at anchor without tying it off to the cleat, and it has never let me down. If ever I were to anchor overnite, I would secure it for sure, but not for fishing or short-term anchoring.

The only problem I ever had was having to jog the anchor up and down a couple of bumps to get it to enter the bow roller facing the right way. But even that is kinda fun.

It's an unwritten rule that you never leave the helm seat when you anchor with a windlass. If you have to get up to tend to the anchor, you will not catch any fish.

Congratulations also on your decision to get a C-Dory. You made a great choice. Now if you just trade the Ford off for a Dodge, you'll be in great shape.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchoring procedure with no windlass (in the Columbia river).
Find spot you wish to anchor and yell at person on bow to release the anchor. Motor back to spot you want to anchor and yell louder at person on the bow. Set anchor and tie off. RETRIEVAL, yell at person to hoist anchor, drift down river while worrying if person on the bow will fall off. Yell at person on bow to hurry cuz freighter is coming. Stow line in a neat pile of misc. knots on deck. There are anchor retrieval floats that you allow you to motor up river using the resistance of the float to lift the anchor, they pull the anchor and clamp the line so all you have to do is bring in the line.

With windlass.
find suitable spot to anchor. Hold boat in position and hit the down button. One should tie the anchor rode off but I rarelly do (I suppose if I was going to stick in one spot for a long time I would). When ready to move on, motor up to the anchor while winding up the rode, break the anchor loose with the boat and finish bringing it up. Windlass stows line in the locker ready for next use.
If you plan on anchoring much, put the windlass on the top of the wish list. I was going to wait a few years before I pungled up the boat bucks for one but Mike shamed me into buying one a few summers ago. tis one additon that makes fishing MUCH more enjoyable because it's not a big event to change spots

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Now if you just trade the Ford off for a Dodge, you'll be in great shape.

I know it's hard to accept advice from a Dodge guy, but TyBoo knows more about windlasses than he does trucks.

Don't worry, Chris - you've got plenty of Ford friends here. Now the Chevy guys - we don't let them in the door... Mr. Green

Only thing I'll toss in about TyBoo's advice - another well-respected fellow around here doesn't like the pivoting bow rollers. Says they increase the chance you'll nail your gelcoat when retrieving.

Me - I don't know, but I took the other guy's advice since he was the one selling me the boat. Probably doesn't make much difference either way if you are careful.

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris --

I know diddley about windlasses, but if yo can fit an automatic transmission behind your engine you'll be much better off as a tow vehicle. You'll probably have to bring the lever up thru the floor.

-- Chuck
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an intersting "wind lass" story which will support the use of a mechanical/electrical device.

Anchored at Cobb Island on the Potomac River sometime mid 1980's when a 45-50' houseboat chugged in around dark to anchor for the night. The "captain", and I use the word loosely, hollered at the lass on the bow, into the wind (at least he knew to come into the wind) to "throw out the anchor". At her protest, he made his request stronger, punctuated with invectives, &%#@$$#@%& or words to that effect. After several more commands of that sort and more protests on the part of the "wind lass" she finally threw the apparently new 25-30 lb Danforth over the side off the bow. The "captain" backed down hard, all the way into the pier. The poor "wind lass" was trying to tell him was that the "ropey thingy" wasn't attached to the "heavy thingy".

End of story. Buy the windlass..

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Anchor/windlass operation Reply with quote

First off, I am not against having a windlass on a small boat, ie, a C-Dory, what ever works for the Captain is the way to go. I have had windlass's before on my bigger sailing boats in a previous life. But I do like anchoring by hand. When I got the C-Dory my wife would not touch the engines (twins), so she did the anchoring while I was on the controls. I felt I was missing out! Then my wife joined Search & Rescue and after a year's training she now handles twin 250 hp Yamahas blind folded. I am very proud of her. So now when we anchor, the admiral is on the engines and I get to do the anchoring. The down side to all this, my wife is so good on the engines (probably better than me) that she hogs the controls and I don't get to drive the boat so much any more Sad Anyone else have this problem?

Martin.
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor/windlass operation Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
First off, I am not against having a windlass on a small boat, ie, a C-Dory, what ever works for the Captain is the way to go. I have had windlass's before on my bigger sailing boats in a previous life. But I do like anchoring by hand. When I got the C-Dory my wife would not touch the engines (twins), so she did the anchoring while I was on the controls. I felt I was missing out! Then my wife joined Search & Rescue and after a year's training she now handles twin 250 hp Yamahas blind folded. I am very proud of her. So now when we anchor, the admiral is on the engines and I get to do the anchoring. The down side to all this, my wife is so good on the engines (probably better than me) that she hogs the controls and I don't get to drive the boat so much any more Sad Anyone else have this problem?

Martin.

I had this problem with the car, so I don't let her drive the boat. Smile
halibut taco

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
Photos: Shiroz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anchor/windlass operation Reply with quote

bridma wrote:

Martin.

You didn't even wait until the 10 year anniversary of this thread to reply?

Spoiler alert:
He got the windlass.

And for anyone who finds this thread in another ten years and is wondering about the windlass.. It's money well spent.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced manual transmissions with automatics. Twice, which proves that I'm certifiably stupid (throw in stubborn.) Once on a 74 Ford as a matter of fact. Never one with a fuel injection, controlled by a computer. That ought to be interesting.

My first recommendation is to get a C-dory you can tow with the manual. Towing includes backing it down the launch ramp. I believed in manuals, but soon learned that I'd better get an auto. My mistake was not getting another truck.

My second recommendation is that if you're going to change, have someone else do it.

And, finally if you do change to an auto, you'll replace every part from from crankshaft back to the driveshaft, and a few more you didn't expect to, such as the radiator & steering column and maybe the computer. You'll also get to know the junkyard guy on a first name basis.

Depending on the sized of the boat a manual with compound low might be easier. I'd say 4-speed, but that probably dates me.

And to continue my sage advice, never let the windlass hold the anchor, go up and tie it off at the cleat. Saves surprises, such as the windlass slipping. The windlass isn't made for that, and the mfg sternly warns against it. Though windlasses are lovely.

Boris
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if rode length markers will mess up the windlass?

Andy Ryan

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray blue Dychem every twenty-five feet on mine.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
I spray blue Dychem every twenty-five feet on mine.

is this the stuff you're talking about?

http://tinyurl.com/kbmea9m
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For windlass/chain concerns, any comments on the use of
*chain snubbers, hooks or stoppers
*anchor tensioner or lock
to protect your windlass and decrease chain shock loading?

After anchoring, I've heard snubber lines with chain hooks detach with slack loads on the chain. Why not omit the hook and tie a rolling hitch on the chain (or rode) with the snub line? Or, with a loop in one end of the snub line, pass the free end thru the loop over the chain to 'grab it'; no knot required?

Aye.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snubber/chain hook. Many chain hooks are designed so that you can "mouse" the hock in place with some fine line. There is also the "plate? type of "chain hook/plate", with a slot for the chain, in the center, and holes on each side for the pin of a "D" or "bow" shackle to the snubber. I have anchored with snubbers thousands of times, and never had one fall off. You leave a loop of slack chain between the chain hook and the boat, that keeps the chain hook in place.

I do use a rolling hitch, when I am using snubbers on rope rode. The reason for snubbers is to allow chafing gear on the snubbers, and avoiding chafe on the main rode. You can adjust the snubbers, adjust the chafing gear.

Back to the markers--which I thought I had posted on last night: The plastic markers (Yellow with red or black numbers) will be torn up by the chain/line gypsy. Better is using marking systems, either with electrical ties--I use 1 black at 50 feet, 2 black at 100 feet, 1 white and 1 black at 150 feet, 3 red or black right before the end of the rode. (The end of the rode is affixed to an eye in the anchor locker, with multiple passes of light line--this allows the rode to be cut free if necessary, yet will stop the rode from all running out at the bitter end.

You can also spray paint the line or use yarn, thread, etc to mark the distances. We rely to both the angle for a 7:1 and putting load in reverse to be sure the anchor is set.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: