View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Kayak storage on a 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I happily purchased a kayak ( 12 foot ) this past week end and have a question for fellow kayakers, or c-brats who know how to use the search better than I do.

I recall threads and I think, photos, of how people stored their kayaks on the C-Dory's.

As shared, I used the search but could not seem to find what I am looking for. Does anyone recall some people posting pics of their kayak stored on their boat?
If so, can you direct me to the correct spot.

12 days left until freedom...and boating maximus!!!!

Jeff
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

C-Dory will soon come out with the Channel Islands Edition. This will include a rack for carrying a kayak.
Check the photo album for "Sealife", he had a rack on his old 22' Angler.
(looks like he removed the rack when he sold it)
Hey Mike- ya got any of your old pics with the rack?

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a little, 11' I think, sit-on kayak that we take occasionally. I made up a couple of Starboard mounts that slide over the stern cleats. The kayak sits across the stern on these cradles and is bungied down for security under way.

It works very well and keeps the kayak out of the way for most other activities. Since I used it last, however, I installed twin stern rails that may work just as well as the cradles. I just haven't had occasion to try it yet.
Al

C-Pelican

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, great help and advice already!

Moose, great idea and a pic is always so much more helpful for me, thanks! Seems like a handy storage space while cruising. Mines a sit-on-top also and I can see it being a storage platform while stored there also.

Roger, thanks for that info, I will see if I can find his pics and maybe see if his rack is gathering dust and for sale!

I am curious about the rack C-Dory will come out with. Will write them also.

Hopefully I will be using that kayak in the painted cave you have pictured in your photos.
How did your Memorial Day boat get-together/picnic go?

June 15...June 15...June 15....

Jeff
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

If you get in a pinch, those foam roof pads work well for emergencies.

Yakima makes a neat, wobbly roller system called , "Hully Rollers" that will easily guide your kayak into position with a second, fixed holder.

Narrow holders like that posted above, leave dents in our hulls down here when the kayak is bungied to them, esp. in hot weather.

Alot of car racks can be substituted.

Seattle Sports has alot of Kayak stuff.

John
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayaks and C-Dorys...like peanut butter and jelly, I stuck a Yakima rack cross bar on the cabin roof and a oair of plastic rod holders in the motor well.. Gots some aluminum tubing that fits in the rod holders and makes up the rear crossbar. The contraption works good and can be easily removed and installed. If you have canvas, this wouldn't be a very good set up...Al's side mount system looks like it would be the shizzel with a canvas equiped boat.

kayak rigging

Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try those toy swim noodles and a couple ratcheting straps and lay on top of the cabin and strap them down.

Scott
C-Pelican

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice everyone, thank you.

Jeff
Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: kayak storage Reply with quote

Hi there,
We store our kayak on top of our 23 venture.It is 16 feet long and about 2-2.5 wide. I haven't figured out how to post photos et(still learning this) but I have photos on my blog
http://voyageofsimplicity.com

I will try to start a tread and some pics under the encouragement of Greg. After all this is the time to learn since I am a full time cruiser now. Very Happy
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Kayak rack Reply with quote

On my CD22 cruiser, I put a pair of Yakima crossbars across the cabin top and put some Yakima kayak cradles up there. I put my 13.5 ft Hobie on top the same way I do on my truck (or anyone would do on a car). I was going to make some custom towers to attach the crossbars to the C-Dory roof handrails, but someone mentioned that the standard Yakima roof gutter attachment towers work and I had some in the garage so I tried them. I put about a 1" thick wood spacer block under each Yakima tower foot between the plastic tower and the rubber roof pad.

The setup is working great. I'm putting off the custom towers until I finish some other projects, which have also been put off because......etc.....

The metal strap that's supposed to grab the underside of the car's rain gutter ends up grabbing underneath the C-Dory roof rails. The parts I have are probably 10 years old. I'm not sure what the new ones are like.

You want to use either properly shaped cradles to sort of match the hull bottom, or else turn the kayak upside down and mount it flat on something padded. If you strap the kayak down too firmly on an ill-fitting surface, especially in hot weather, you'll deform the hull pretty easily.

I'm assuming we're talking about the newer plastic roto-molded sit-on-top kayaks, and not the more 'serious' fiberglass or kevlar sit-inside types. I have no experience with the latter.

I frequently leave mine on top of the boat when towing on the road. I bought and modified a taller rooftop light pole because the kayak blocks the light from the standard factory light. Soon I'll need to make a similar custom radar tower.

Jeff
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added 2 pics of how I carry my fiberglass kayak or my plastic kayak. I have taken a kayak on many local trips and several long trips to the San Juans and Lake Powell. Nothing better than bass fishing from the kayak at Lake Powell.

I built a front rack attached to the hand rails and use the tall radar rack for the rear. Works fine. I just wish I could carry an inflated dingy and a kayak without having to put one side of the dink on top of the kayak.

Steve
surfbird

City/Region: Los Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Turnstone
Photos: Turnstone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought Yakima 1A raingutter towers and with crossbars they are surprisingly stable.
Getting the clamp around the roof rail is a chore, but it can be done. There is about 5-6 in of clearance between bottom of the bar and the cabin roof.

Jim

http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-systems/product/8000101/1a-raingutter.aspx
C-Pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Thankyou for the tip. Did you use the 4" riser with it? Or the standard height?

Interesting idea, and you say it's stable?

Can you please take some photos of the set up and post here or in your album?

Thanks,
Jeff
surfbird

City/Region: Los Anchorage
Vessel Name: Turnstone
Photos: Turnstone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Jeff,

I used the standard 1A towers.

Considering that the clamp is straight and not made to attach to railing, it really locks down tight after attaching the crossbars. I will add the locksets not because I am worried about someone lifting the rack, but because it will ensure that the clamps will not loosen underway.
One thing I like about this style of tower is that there is minimal side pull on the rail vs the other tower design pictured in this thread (see B~C). Maybe others would let us know if this may be an issue?
The pros of this rack are the ease of assembly (no custom orders or finding someone to weld stainless) and the bizillions of attachments for canoes, kayaks, bikes, skis/boards, etc. I am excited to attach a rocket box that will hold skiis and snowboards and gear for longer trips. Also, I am hoping that rod holders can be easily attached and I see no reason why they couldn't be. There is also a lifetime warranty from Yakima and REI, which I like considering that the rack will be constantly covered in salt spray. The only cons so far are that they are butt ugly compared to a custom stainless and possibly the price - 140 for the towers + 60 for the bars.

I will try to get a few photos posted asap.

Jim
rip@chugach.net

City/Region: Girdwood
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Rip (TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thule makes a tower spciefically to attach to bars, called the 450. I was considering Yakama, but when I email Yakama factory they said there is no way they would support or recommend placing the rain gutter attachment system on bars.

The Thule ones are great, as they are specifically designed to go on bars, very strong once attached, very easy to install with no modifications, and only rises the bars about 2 inches off your roof, rather than 6-8 inches like the Yakama rain gutter towers.

Yakama and Thule both have the same accessories for your skis, yaks, surf boards etc.. The only diff is flat bars v. round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: