The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Handheld vhf radio input needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Handheld vhf radio input needed Reply with quote

Thinking I would like a little VHF marine radio on my 16' CD. There is not enough room to mount a big model, so I was looking at the Humminbird VHF5 handheld. Anybody had any experience with these. I really don't need a lot of power, our time is spent in the bays and rivers. Would like to be able to get weather, talk with other CDers in the vicinity, call for help if/when needed.

All input desired Thumbs Up. Would like to get something before Cathlamet Clock.

Jon

lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
I have an Atlantis hand held VHS which has worked fine for me for the past 2 years. It is pretty much line of sight when trying to reach other boats. It is great for hooking up with your fishing buddies when out on the lakes and rivers. On the sound it seems to have a longer range. Must be there are no hills to hide them from you Laughing I also use a hand held GPS which has kept me out of trouble a few times when the fog rolled in and when out in the sound and the enterance to some of the bays look pretty much the same when coming home in the dark. I also carry them when on other peoples boots as a good cheap backup if their electronics go out.

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon --

Our VHF-FM mounts on top of the dashboard using a wide strip of super Velcro, like everything else on top of the dash. I'm still not ready to drill any holes there yet.

3' stainless steel whip antenna mounts on the visor (looks like it's on the cabin roof, but it isn't).

Some photos start here: 16 Criuser Cabin. Also shown in the same series (maybe previous) are the electric wipers, something we need for our cruising area on Lake Erie.

-- Chuck
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, most of the handhelds do the same thing. The more expensive ones have more bells and whistles. They all have 1 and 5 Watt power settings, only the bigger fixed non-handheld models run up to 25 Watts. 1 Watt is sufficient most of the time. The rubber duck antenna is fine for short ranges and most of your comms will be just that. A larger 3db or 6db fixed antenna can be mounted on the roof (or visor) or hand rail and the feedline led to a connector on your handheld which will give you more range.

Many of them have a connector for power too that will plug in to the cig lighter adapter (assuming you have one). Otherwise they have rechargable internal batteries and some will accept AA size alkaline batteries
which will usually last the weekend if you don't transmit too much. They are very useful for NOAA Wx forecasts too and indispensable if you have an emergency.

Get yourself a book or study up to find out which channel is for what purpose. CH 16 is used for calling and emergencies only, establish comms there and switch to one of the boat to boat channels (or boat to marina) to complete the conversation.

They can be mounted with velcro or in a special holder that sometimes comes with the radio.

Hope this helps, have been a ham operator for 45+ years and these radios are very similar to the VHF handhelds we use. I have the Atlantis model ($99) which does everything I need. Also have a fixed one and some ham stuff on Captain's Choice. Can't have too many.

Charlie K4KBA

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WD 50,
While realizing that your question has more to do with hand held VHF radios, I would share the following with you anyhow.
Pictures of my "former" 16' Cruiser are still in my "Sea Shift" photo album. On page 2 of that album, the 2nd picture shows where I mounted my VHF radio (under the steering wheel). The 1st picture on that page shows where my GPS was mounted on a swivel mount on the interior cabin roof. I would imagine these mounts would be possible with an angler.
In order to hear (since it's becoming additionally more difficult for me to hear as I age Disgust ), the VHF radio better, I also mounted a small remote speaker on the forward part of the dash.

C-Brat #16
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Charlie, Chuck S & Lyle-t:

Thanks for all of your input Thumbs Up. I will check out the Atlantis since it was mentioned twice here. I think I will go with a handheld as they appear to give me the small amount of communication needs I require. I also like being able to unplug and go with my electronics, gives people less inclination to pirate my stuff when moored somewhere. I do have the cig lighter adapter so definately want the 12V plug-in. The cockpit of the 16' angler is really quite a bit different than the cruiser model. You give up the nice long shelf Cry, but get a lot more aft deck space Very Happy Very Happy.

Thanks again gang, the Pub is the Hub for all of the Hub-Bub.

Jon
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I also have an Atlantis for a portable. I have an Icom also and use the handheld for a backup and when on the beach. Also like the wx channels. As you probably already know it comes with a nice little base mounting cup. It can be operated with the rechargable or AA's.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their usual great input Thumbs Up.

Because the Uniden Atlantis radio was mentioned a couple of times here, I looked at the Uniden line of radios. I'm liking the atlantis handheld and have found one with all the attachments for a good price. I also found one of the Solara compact mountable models online for just $82.50! Has a bit more transmission power @25 watts high.

Does anyone have the Solara model or know someone that does? Please give me all feedback.

Thanks, Jon
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to get this back on the board so people could respond to the above question.

This brings up a point though for the nerd guys. It would be nice to see the last 10 or 15 items discussed because once their off the board, your odds of getting a reply drop somewhere in the basement. Kinda like TyBoo Mike's past odds of catching a springer Rolling Eyes.
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went ahead and bought the Uniden Atlantis handheld model. I got a great deal with all of the accessories I wanted on E-Bay for $85 delivered and as the lovely Terrie pointed out the blue and white colors match the boat CoolSmile.

It was amazing to me, while looking for the best deal, how many false claims and products without everything you need to run the different radios were out there. Worse than most product searches Shocked.

Thanks to everyone who gave input Thumbs Up.

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: