View previous topic :: View next topic  
eieioh

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Brave Heart
Photos: Brave Heart
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory, New Boaters Reply with quote

We took delivery of our First Boat yesterday, a C-Dory 16' Cruiser and, after venturing out on the water once, have come to realise how little we know about boating.
Is there a Boating 101 class that would help get us confidently underway? Or better still, who among you in the Puget Sound area has the time and inclination to prevent a couple of novices from doing some serious damage to any vessel that might get in our way?

Bill and Evelyn Macdonald
Gig Harbor
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask and ye shall receive. http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p1-subtable.htm Wink
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and Evelyn, there will be at least three CDorys in the south sound on the 25th thru the 28th. Let us know if you want to head down our way. I am more than willing to give you a hand. It was not long ago that I was in just the same position that you are in now.

Fred
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never be afraid to admit your rookie status, especially around the docks. While I've had sail boats since I was in high school, our 16 Cruiser is my first pure motorboat and the first in 20 years that's trailerable. Folks at the launch sites are always helpful, especially with I give 'em my "new boater" warning.

Our C-Dory is practically unique on Lake Erie, so there's a lot of interest in her at the various ramps. And at rest stops on the interstates. And in my driveway.... Cool

We come out of the barn in another month or so.

-- Chuck
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your 16!!,and welcome to the Pub. We hope you join us for the Jarrell's Cove get together. We'd love to see you there and Catman especially will, since he lost a couple 16 Buds around here.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
eieioh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_Rick wrote:
Bill and Evelyn, there will be at least three CDorys in the south sound on the 25th thru the 28th. Let us know if you want to head down our way. I am more than willing to give you a hand. It was not long ago that I was in just the same position that you are in now.

Fred

Any help is welcome and most gratefully accepted. We have signed-up for the Jarrells Cove cruise on the weekend you mention and hope to be properly equipped and ready by then for a save and fun voyage. Docking, particularly when other boats are within 100 miles, is a concern. We did go out on the water today. Tide was low and there is no dock alongside the ramp at Gig Harbor so getting one of us ashore to back the trailer then load the C-Dory was problematic. We did it in unique fashion. Tomorow is another day.

Bill and Evelyn
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bill & Evelyn,
Welcom to the pub. I use launches with out docks all the time. I carry a pair of hip boots in the truck and wear them to launch and retrieve my 16 footer. I wear a pair of canvas deck shoes while running the boat for safety reasons and throw the hip boots up front after I use them to get into the boat and get out of the boat and loading it. I run the South sound a lot and found if I watch my depth sounder and stay away from land points sticking out into the sound I do not have any problems. I would be happy to run around the sound with you and maybe even help you catch some fish. Laughing Do you have a GPS aboard? That is a MUST have on any boat doing the sound. Just ask Catman about that!! Antique Radars are worth their weight in gold to some people some days!! But with a GPS and depth sounder you can usually find your way home safely. A good hand held air horn is another investment that will pay big if you ever need it while in the fog. Do you have a kicker motor on your boat? I feel much safer with my 6 HP kicker mounted on mine, so if I loose a prop or motor goes bad I can still limp home or to a safe dock to make repairs. Also it is a lot cheaper to run it while trolling and taking the wear and tear off the main engine. I did not know I was going to write a book when i started this. Hope to see you at Jarrells Cove Saturday the 27 Th.
Later Lyle

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Patty here) Pat and I took the 7-week power squadron boating course and highly recommend it to new boaters. We learned a ton of stuff and through the summer came to realize how many boaters out on the water had NOT taken the course. We were boarded by the Coast Guard in January and felt completely confident that we were in compliance with all the necessities (we passed!). I'm afraid docking and boat launching and retrieval are a trial and error situation. I dock a lot (I'm the woman, remember?) and my one piece of advice is GO SLOW---VERY SLOW. Good luck and see you soon!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I went out with Bill & Evelyn to day for a nice trip by Vashon island on the South end and back to Gig Harbour. Had a very nice visit and watched Bill gain confidence in his 16 footer. We docked three times and he was very good at doing so on the last try. Getting the boat onto the trailer was like shooting fish in a barrel. Now he has a shoping list to go get the finer things for loading and docking his vessel. The fellow who was loading his boat after we loaded Bills got his boat stuck on land when the tide went out from under it and then backed his trailer off the end of the cement and could not get the trailer and boat back up the launch. We had to help him push the boat off land and then again help him push it off the trailer and get the truck and trailer up on the ramp and dry load the boat!! hard on the back and winch was really straining. So if launching there WATCH the end of the ramp and when the tide is going out use caution it is a shallow ramp to say the least. All in all I had a very good time and met a couple real nice people who I think will fit into the PUB very well.
eieioh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory, New Boaters Reply with quote

We had a great time and learned a lot about boating under the expert stewardship of Lyle on Saturday. We set sail from Gig Harbor, crossed Dalco Passage and made a swing all around Quartermaster Harbor between Vashon and Maury Islands. Became aquainted with the operation of the Lowrance GPS/Depth Sounder and the importance keeping a sharp lookout in all directions. Back at home port, with Lyle's guidance, we practiced docking a few times before easing the C-Dory unscathed up on the trailer. What an adventure! Most importantly, we made a friend in Lyle and are most grateful that he was willing to make a gift of his time to get a couple of landlubbers out on the water. Thank you Lyle!

16' C-Dory
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks got some good experience with Lyle. Having fun is what it's all about with these special boats. Look forward to meeting you at J.C.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all. Bill and Evelyn, delighted you're here and so willing to meet us and get out in your new craft. Lyle really knows his stuff, so you got a good teacher to show you around. I remember when my boat was new and I was nervous about trailering, launching, and, well, pretty much all things associated with any movement beyond the driveway. Still am, actually. But experience builds confidence, and I'd bet you'll gain plenty very soon.
And Lyle, how cool is that? New 16-People joining the party. See you at Jarrell.
Cat
eieioh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory, New Boaters Reply with quote

After much deliberation we have decided to name our feisty little boat "BRAVE HEART". This is in keeping with the C-Dory's reputation of being tough and hardy as was my namesake, the Scots warrior, William Wallace (Any likeness I might have to Mel Gibson is purely incidental).

It would be fitting to commission a Scots bagpiper in full regalia to perform during the Christening ceremony. Then afterwards, a feast of Soused Herrin with Neeps and Tatties. Lets see what ye lads and lassies can do!

16’ Cruiser
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: New C-Dory, New Boaters Reply with quote

eieioh wrote:

It would be fitting to commission a Scots bagpiper in full regalia to perform during the Christening ceremony. Then afterwards, a feast of Soused Herrin with Neeps and Tatties. Lets see what ye lads and lassies can do!

16’ Cruiser

I ain't wearing no dress (kilt) to do a Christening for anybody! Disgust Rev. Jim, it looks like a great opportunity for you! Laughing

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: New C-Dory, New Boaters Reply with quote

Aw, c'mon - spoil sport!
DaveS wrote:

I ain't wearing no dress (kilt) to do a Christening for anybody! Disgust Rev. Jim, it looks like a great opportunity for you! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: