The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gulf Islands - Memorial Weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Gulf Islands - Memorial Weekend Reply with quote

Shan and I were planning on heading from Anacotes on Friday over to Friday Harbor, then Saturday over to Sidney, BC, and then spend Sunday and Monday going up around Prevost, Galiano, North/South Pender Islands. I'm getting a little nervous about the weather, especially since we are in a little 19, not one of those big ol 25's. Just looked at the Marine Weather Forecast, and its looks like the wind is picking up for Sunday, of course all of that can change by then.
My question is, if the wind picks up, under what conditions do folks recommend staying in port, what area's should I avoid, and should I just wait for better conditions. I know thats a wide open question, but just looking for some advice, it will be our first time over in the Gulf Islands, and we are newbies out on the water. Getting more comfortable with Rosario, but the tide rips still scare the crap out of me.

Tom
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe and Ruth on R-Matey should probably answer this, but they seem able to cope with whatever conditions we can. Wind waves over 3 feet are pretty much no-go for us, unless we get caught out.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Wind waves over 3 feet are pretty much no-go for us, unless we get caught out.

Tom and Shan,

We second what Pat says. Our advice is to just be careful. Each trip out will give you more confidence in the capability of your 19 and your ability to handle it in rough conditions. Enjoy your journey.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that timing is every thing and the wind is only half the problem. The tide is a big factor in that part of the world and you need to time tide with wind and direction for a safer and smoother ride. What I mean to say is if you are crossing say boundary pass heading north west into a 20 mph wind on a incoming tide you are in for a hell of a ride . but say its two hours later and the tide has changed to out going you will have a much smoother ride. When wind and tide go together it can be a really smooth ride but if against each other it can be really bad and undoalbe. I have learned the hard way and now really try to time the two together if the wind is over 15mph. With as much as you two are getting around I can see a 22 or 25 in the works Laughing
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to second the comments already made, particulalry the one about wind/tide relationship. Last Monday the entrance to Keystone at full ebb with NW wind against it was about 6 ft of confused chop moving at about 5 kts whereas 1/2 mile away it was 1 ft max.

Would suggest you avoid known tide rip areas unless it's slack or wind with tide.

The South end of Pender (Boundary pass) is a complete pig as Tom says. It turned us around two weeks ago on what was otherwise a reasonable day. I don't mind a bit of blue water but when you are sticking the nose in every wave even at 3 kts it ceases to be fun.

Great area for a mini cruise.. wish we were back there..

Merv & Kathy
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merv, I picked that spot for a reason. We got caught in the middle of that washing machine one day, it was just horrid. 4 fts in three directions plus the wind. Then 30 mins later the waves died down and the water laid down to 2fter in the same direction. the wind had not let up but the tide had changed. I now carry the "Current atlas - Juan De fuca Strait To Strait of georgia" This is a wonderful tool and I recommend it for every one that travels this area.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom. Amen to that !! Luckily we needed to be in Bedwell so it was a simple decision to go around the other side of Pender and though the channel. I guess we all need to remember just how much water we are moving around between islands up this coast. May be 700 ft deep but it feels like a river.
Speaking of which I wish I was not stuck in front of this 'puter today as it is flat calm out here on Whidbey.

merv
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been in the Gulf Islands since Monday. It has been overcast in the AM and beautiful in the afternoon. My suggestion, get here as soon as you can and enjoy! Haven't seen anything over 1' chop since we left Sequim.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Shan- We'll be at the Lopez Island Resort. We'll keep an eye out for you. DotnMarty

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Game ON. we will be out there sometime. somewhere. A free beer to anyone who tags us.
Been watching Pat & Patti's idea for PL but can't quite make it this time. Darn it.

Merv & Kathy
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: SEA SKIPPER Reply with quote

Also keep an eye out for Hank Brooks on SEA SKIPPER. We know that he's somewhere out there in Puget Sound as that awesome tow rig of his has been parked at Squalicum Harbor all week.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine Forecast issued for Haro strait.
Issued: 4 AM PDT Sunday 27 May 2007 for the period ending 4 AM Monday with an outlook for the following 24 hours.
Forecast:
Small craft warning in effect.
Winds southwest 5 to 15 knots rising to southwest 15 to 25 this afternoon then easing to 5 to 15 this evening. Mainly cloudy. Chance of showers.

Well we ended up coming home early. It got cold and windy on Saturday and the forecast for Sunday wasnt the best.
Did stop by Fisherman's Bay - Lopez Island on the way back to Anacortes and were treated to a great lunch by Marty and Dotty.

Lots of Rockfish out there.

Tom
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the great lunch was cooked up by the Galley Restaurant on Lopez, which was recommended by Tom and Shan. It was absolutely the finest hamburger west of Rossi's bar and grill in Trenton, NJ. Dotty and I went back for as many meals as we could fit in during our stay. The breakfast omelete, the french dip, the homemade key lime pie, oh my! If I could of only had some of that pea soup or the peppercorn steak made from Lopez Island beef. Next time. If you want to know what heaven is like just explore Lopez Island and eat at the Galley with great people like Tom and Shan. Cool
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our CD-22 from Less on Whidby and took off for a more than 2week cruise. We had also chartered in the San Jauns many times.

On the last day of the cruise there was a front passing through. We stopped at Blakely to have lunch and wait out the weather. It stopped raining and seemd to be getting nicer. Our friends had a charter boat and where ready to get back to Anacortes. The Harbor Master Lady suggested that if it looked too rough we could go around behind Cypress Island.

So we took off across the straight. It was great, hardley any wind and smooth. We crossed to Cypress and headed south. I thought this would be a pice-of-cake. The current was coming in and the wind was from the southwest.

As we got closer to the end of Cypress it started getting rough. And then we came out from the wind shadow of Blakely. The wind was gusting to 30knts.

There is a large shoal on the south end of Cypress which causes the water/waves to stack up and I think reflect back. We had large chaotic waves and strong gusts.

It was the worst conditions we have been in with our C-Dory. Being our first trip in the C-Dory we were more than a litlle scared.

If we had gone around Cypress we would have had no problem. I learned to pay attention to local knowledge! Even if I had looked at that shoal on the chart I don't think I would have reconized the potential for rough water. I hope not to make that mistake again.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: