View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Lifesling = USCG throwable? Reply with quote

Does the Lifesling meet the USCG requirements for a throwable life preserver?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is "yes". The Life Sling (depending on model) will be a type IV or V PFD. It is a throwable device. However, we also carry a thowable cushion--for the dinghy if nothing more. (Plus standard life jackets of type I, II or III.

I believe that the life sling and horseshoe bouys are not approved in Canada--so you need the "official life ring" there. (This may have changed, because Transport Canada, recently has added a section on the use of the Lifesling).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the Lifesling is fully approved as a throwable device by transport Canada. I checked that in Victoria BC before purchasing a lifesling in 2006.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of the LifeSling not being accepted as a throwable device came up in Trawlers and Trawlering last Fall/winter. Several members of the CG Aux (or equivilant in Canada) said that it was not accepted at that time. I questioned this, because in my opinon it is a lot better than a life ring:

Small Vessel Regulations
CRC, Vol. XVII, c. 1487

"Pleasure Craft over 6 m but not over 8 m in Length

16.03 (1) Subject to sections 16.2 and 16.3, every pleasure craft over 6 m but not over 8 m in length shall carry personal protection equipment, boat safety equipment, distress equipment and navigation equipment in accordance with subsections (2) to (5).

(2) Personal protection equipment shall consist of

(a) subject to section 16.08, one personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board;

(b) either:

(i) one buoyant heaving line of not less than 15 m in length, or

(ii) one lifebuoy with an outside diameter of 610 mm or 762 mm attached to a buoyant line of not less than 15 m in length; and

(c) a reboarding device, if the freeboard of the pleasure craft exceeds 0.5

(From Definitions section: "reboarding device", in respect of a small vessel, means a ladder, lifting harness or other apparatus that does not include any part of the vessel's propulsion unit and that assists persons in gaining access to the vessel from the water. )
Currently in the Canadian Transport Fishing vessel brochure, they show an item similar to the LifeSling.

The 610 mm outside is 24" and the 720mm outside is 28.3 inches--still difficult to get "into".

I am not aware of anyone being cited for not having a lifering. We had Canadian CG aboard our vessels for social functions a number of times, and had a horseshoe bouy and a life sling--never commented on, so I suspect it is not enforced--if it is really a requirement--but it appears to be on the books...
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for Canada. But for the CG in the US a Type IV Throwable Device in my Vessel Safety Check Manual is described this way:

Throwable Devices may be a bouyant cushion, a ring buoy, or a horseshoe design. Type IV PFDs are designed to be grasped and held by the user until rescued, as well as to be thrown to a person who has fallen overboard. The Type IV is suitable only where there is a probability of quick rescue such as areas where there is considerable boating activity.
Buoyant cushions are thick foam Type IV Throwable devices approximately 15 by 15 by 2 inches. This type of throwable PFD has two 20 inch grab straps, one each on opposite sides of the PFD. The grab straps are for holding the PFD to your chest or for putting one leg and head through opposite straps.
Ring buoys are available in 18, 18 1/2, 19, 20, 24, and 30 inch outside diameter.

All PFDs for recreational boats must have a fully legible instruction label and the Coast Guard approval number listed. If not, the device does not meet carriage or VSC decal requirements. (Taken from the Vessel Safety Check Manual)

My take:
If a device has a USCG approved Type IV tag on it, it is an approved device of that type. If it does not, it is NOT a USCG approved Type IV device.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of the equipment requirements are that you must carry the equipment required by your country of registration or documentation. US boats carry US Coast Guard approved equipment and Canadian (or other country) carry Canadian approved equipment.

Otherwise, those of us who cross the border would have to carry two sets of gear, one for each country.

In addition, Canada requires more safety gear than the US does.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled LifeSling, as I should have done before posting my question. At THIS site they advertise the LifeSling as being USCG Type IV. West Marine says that it is a Type V which substitutes for a Type IV. David, is there any significance and/or caveats to that substitution?

Thanks,
Warren
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type IV's are throwable devices. Type V's are special use wearable devices.

What the manual states about Type V Special Use Device is this: Type V PFDs are intended for special use activities and may be carried instead of another PFD only if used according to the approval condition stated on the label. A Type V PFD may also provide performance of either a Type I, II, or III PFD (as marked on its label). If the label says the PFD is "approved only when worn" the PFD is required to be worn during the VSC (Vessel Safety Check) as well as when underway to be acceptable for meeting VCS requirements.

As you can see, and as I look at the manual , there is no reference to a Lifesling type peice of equipment.

I find one reference to the ability for one type to "substitute for another" in the following statement: Other Type V special purpose vests must have a label stating dual classification to qualify.

I also find this description when Googleing Lifesling:

USCG/A! Type IV

It's one thing to get the boat back to a man overboard. Getting the man back in the boat can be far more difficult, especially if the victim is unconscious. The USCG-approved Life Sling 2 is the most.......
Midwatch

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Midwatch
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a boarding officer in the Coast Guard, I can say the first thing I look at when inspecting PFD's is that the label says,"U.S. Coast Guard approved" and then the approval number. As long as the lifesling is labeled as a Coast Guard type IV, then it's good to go. I also ensure that type IV's are "immediately available", and type I, II, & III's are "readily accessible". Type V's must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's directions, which may require them to be worn at all times.

Stay safe.

"Land is just another hazard to navigation."
thataway

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Larry, most countries accept SOLAS equiptment. Some countries have specific requirements--and you must meet these requirements. For example, in Portugal, we came to an impass, since we did not carry a certified life raft. Finally I got over that we had a dinghy with flotation--and used the magic word "Balsa"--a balsa raft does not have to be certified in Portugal, and we were allowed to leave the port.

In Belgium we had to have the river/canal guide in French or Flemish--and the same in Holland but in Dutch. Didn't make any difference that we couldn't read Dutch or Flemish--we had to have the guide to proceed.

A country can make up any rule which they wish and hold you to it or deny permission to leave the port or to enter a port. Another common requirement is insurance or license. For example many EU Countries have specific "yacht" licenses, and boats may be certified for various types of voyages, as well as their masters. US and Canada have reciprocity on a number of items, so it is rarely an issue.
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Lifesling 2 for my boat, so I was looking up info about it. Here's what I learned:

It's a USCG Type V device, but at every turn you encounter language like this:
"Suitable for powerboats with a lifting point 10 ft above the water."
"Lifesling is USCG Approved for powerboats that have a hoisting point at least 10 ft above the deck."
"All boats may carry an original Lifesling, but to replace the traditional USCG-approved ring, horseshoe buoy or throwable cushion, the boat must be [...] a powerboat with a lifting point at least 10 feet above the water."

In other words, don't throw away your throwable cushions just yet!

Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Lifesling 2 for my boat also, but not with the intention of replacing my throwable cushion. I bought it to supplement, not supplant the other safety device.

MOB is an important topic to think about, but I worry much more about COB (Child Over Board) and that's the reason I bought mine.

Another thread being discussed right now is on the subject of figuring out a tackle system that can lift a person high enough to get him/her over the side of the boat. I'm not worried about that either. I can lift my children out of the water...and add some adrenaline to the mix and I could probably throw my child into the air on his way into the boat.

Why I bought a Lifesling 2 is simple, if either of my children fall into the water anytime other than when I'm docked, I'm going to have to go in after him! I made my living responding to emergencies and it's been my experience that 99 and 44/100% of the population panics the minute something goes wrong. I'm sure my children will too if they fall overboard and into 45 degree water. To expect them to grab a throwable cushion or a Lifesling is pure fantasy (my children are 2 and 5 years old). I figure with the Lifesling, when I'm in the water I'll have extra bouyancy and a line that is securely attached to my boat which I can use to pull the two of us back to the boat. From there I KNOW I'll find the strength to get us both on-board.

Not the greatest plan, but a plan none-the-less.

It would be wonderful if this Lifesling were USCG approved and/or we all had easy access to the appropriate lifting tackle, but for $79 on sale...it is damn sure better than only throwing someone a floating cushion.

Sad, I don't even own shares of the stock.

-Sarge/Carl

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had an inspection by the Power Squadron down on Grand Lake, OK. The inspector had never seen nor heard of the lifesling which I had installed on my aft, Starboard rail. He would not count it as a throwable device. I always keep the throwables around for knee cushions and additional seating height, so he OK'ed those as throwables.

I was amazed that he had no knowledge of, nor any interest in, the Lifesling system!

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:

I was amazed that he had no knowledge of, nor any interest in, the Lifesling system!

John

Oaklahoma is long ways from the ocean, etc......

Wuz he a-drivin' a John Deere patrol boat???

(Sorry for the humor, but after 7 years of repeating these same topics, I'm bored enough to seek a different approach!)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, Tim,

We have a lifesling 2 on Kingfisher and I attach the very spendy but very strong 5:1 block and tackle that is recommended for it to the cross member of the radar arch. That is as near 10 ft as is possible.
I don't care if the CG counts it as I carry 2 throwables anyway.
Our rational was that there is no way in heck that we could get either one of us (or a third party any larger than a child) back in the boat if they were disabled or unable to get up the swim step.

Will take some pictures if you want

Merv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: