The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow Hatch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Bow Hatch Reply with quote

I'm trying to convince myself that a bow hatch is necessary, but I'm having a hard time deciding. Our 1986 angler never had a hatch installed, so I kinda forgot what I was missing without one.

My three concerns are, fragile lid, leakage, and exposing electronics, wiring and connections with salt air. So far, the exposed wiring in the V-berth area looks real good, and it's been almost 20 years.

Are these concerns an issue or should I go for it? Twenty x twenty is a really big hole.
Jon
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My three concerns are, fragile lid, leakage, and exposing electronics, wiring and connections with salt air.

No need for concern about any of those, really. The 1987 TyBoo had the original hatch, and it was never a problem. So long as you installed a good quality hatch, it would serve you well.

Whether or not you need it is a different matter. The only time I ever used mine was during anchoring operations, and once I got a windlass to take care of that chore, the hatch was never really used. It is good for letting in a little air on the hot days, but for us, the rainy days seem to outnumber the hot ones. If you sleep in the v-berth, sure as the dickens you will find yourself always under a dock light, or, worse yet, you may find Catman up there peeking in, so C would have to make another quilted curtain for the thing. I say forget it, and go for something you need more.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon , I did'nt realize that any C-Dorys came w/o hatches. There are several things that make it indispensible for me. Access to the foredeck when it's really rough. Ventilation. If it's not raining, I can keep it open and if it is I "dog it" and turn on my Nicro 24 hour(solar) powervent(mounted in lens). It provides some light when closed. And when I'm anchored I can gaze up @ the stars as I doze off to sleep. There is nothing better than watching the constellations change as I rotate on the "hook". As far as flimsiness goes, the cored area there is about 1 inch thick. I know this because I had to remove it when a leak appeared while anchored in Quartermaster Harbor(Vashon Island) in a squall. Water found its way into a screw hole and rained on me all night. Once home I removed the hatch and filled all the holes with West System epoxy. Then I simply re-installed it with 5200. It'll never leak now. I would advise that you forego the screws too. Be sure to coat the exposed balsa core with West System before drop it in. I did crack the acrylic lens in '95 and got a replacement from Bomar. It was spendy. If it happened again I would go to Tap Plastics and have them make one for me. Pete

Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Pete, no hatch or bow rail. I think it's the only boat in the fleet without it.

Good point Mike. A little velcro, some thick canvas and a squirt gun will take care of all the invaders.

Hey, something else a hatch would be good for is to scare folks. I know this first hand because last year Cynthia and I was walking around the marina at dusk and some hairy faced guy lifted up his hatch and barked at us. Smile Holy smacks, if I would of jumped 2 more inches to the left, I would of been in the drink.
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

One other thing to think about with the hatch, could be good or not. Your Grandkids will quickly discover how much fun it is to ride up in the v-berth with their heads out the hatch. If they can't be in the Captain's chair, then they'll want the hatch view. I can't blame them as I enjoy it as well.

Chivita Dave
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's the reason I was looking for. Thanks Chivita Dave, sometimes I forget the obvious things. C-Lou is going to get a bow hatch!
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chivita wrote:
Jon,
Your Grandkids will quickly discover how much fun it is to ride up in the v-berth with their heads out the hatch.

What do you mean grandkids? ......with the new Sea Shift and its' auto pilot, I fully plan on sitting in the v-berth with my head stuck up through the bomar hatch and if I have to alter course, I'll have the remote auto pilot with me to steer the boat!.....no more having to sit in a helm seat for me....ahhh the feel of fresh salt air rushing across my grizzled face... CoolSmile ....won't even need a windshield wiper for the center window.

C-Brat #16
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a building inspector I'm always dealing with Egress. Seems to go with the job and it just sort of gets to be a thing with us wether it's out of a big assembly room or an egress window from a sleeping room.

With fire always being a concern on boats and a possible point of ignition being a catastrophic failure in a Wallas, I've got a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector mounted on the bottom side of the overhead shelf; but to me one of the best things on a C-Dory is the Bomar hatch that you can actually get out of which was already there. I can't think of many small boat manufactures that do this and it's something I point out to people when I'm telling them all the neat things these little vessels have. If the GPS is the jewelry, then the hatch is that warm fuzzy blanket.
I couldn't sleep well without it.

Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: