The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transducer reports depth infrequently
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Be sure that the transducer is on the right side (left has prop cavitation wash to cause turbulant water).

Bob – until I read this, I had planned on mounting my transducer on the port side of my boat. The old one was mounted between the main engine and kicker. The kicker is on the starboard side and the two engines are about 20” m/l apart at their centerline. I don’t know the exact distance it was from the main engine because I have already filled and gel coated over the holes. My best guess is it was around 10 to 12 inches from the centerline of the main engine and 8 to 10 inches from the centerline of the kicker.

If I mounted it on the port side I could easily keep it 24 inches from the main engine and still be 4 inches from the edge of the boat.

Has anyone mounted theirs on the port side and if so how has it worked?

________
Dave
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok wrote:
I have a Raymarine C-80 integrated system. The boat is kept in the water full-time.

The depth sounder worked great for the first 2-3 months, then started losing the bottom at any speed over 6-7 mph. The reading would come back when the boat slowed down.

When the boat was hauled for engine service, I found that the transducer was covered with barnacles. I cleaned these off, and it worked fine for another couple of months. However, last trip out, it again began to intermittently misbehave above 7 mph.

For those boating in our warmer Southern waters- is "barnacle induced malfunction" a known problem? Are the barnacles casuing enough turbulence in the water flow around the transducer to make it malfunction? If so, is there any kind of anti-fouling paint I can safely apply to the plastic cover on the transducer?

Or are the barnacles just a red herring (!) and am I facing a gradual transducer failure?

Turtle wax or Jhonsons Paste Wax works for me to keep the Green / Brown / White crap from fouling my teansducers Mr. Green Beer
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin 498 manual is pretty specific about having the xdcr parallel with the bottom of the boat, not pointed at any angle. We had similar issues with a xdcr and it turned out we needed a new one, which they promptly sent to us. Garmin service is superb.

I'd get it parallel to the bottom of the hull first and try it...see if it solves the problem. If not, a phone call to Garmin should get you going pronto.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
pcator

City/Region: Fletcher
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Photos: Donna Marie
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help and I will make it short and not go through all the vertical and angle adjustments I made. It was that I did not have "auto" selected in setup. I was set at 20 ft and when I was in 20 ft of water it worked. If not, it didn't work.

good luck

Patrick
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: The "deadly 20 foot setting" Reply with quote

Patrick,

Thank you or your post. After seeing it I immediately went down to the boat to check my setting. Yep, it was set to 20 feet so I reset it to Auto.

We're going out for a short while tomorrow to get fuel and possibly take pictures of the transducer installation to send to Garmin. However, if the depth finder appears to be working properly, the last item becomes a mute point.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok wrote:
I have a Raymarine C-80 integrated system. The boat is kept in the water full-time.

The depth sounder worked great for the first 2-3 months, then started losing the bottom at any speed over 6-7 mph. The reading would come back when the boat slowed down.

Just something you might check...
I too have a Raymarine C-80 system and noticed a lot of times recently where my depth was not displayed. Yesterday when cleaning the boat I noticed the transducer moved when I sprayed it. It apparently pivots around a hinge joint and snaps in place when you push down on the assembly. Hitting something may have popped it loose.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:

Yes, the transducer has a hingle and it moves up and down freely. I thought that was to compensate for changes in the inclination of the transom at different boat speeds. As someone else said earlier on this thread, you don't know what you don't know!

I did not realize that it snaps into place. Since my boat is kept in the water, I have earned myself a semi-dunking as I reach down and try to snap it into position.

Thanks.

Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Results of Sonar Auto Range test Reply with quote

Changing the sonar range setting to "Auto" vastly alleviated my transducer problem. Today, on a trip down the South River to St Michaels and back the depth finder only failed two or three times, resetting itself after several minutes each time.

Prior to departure, we pulled Barnacle Bill from the water, put it on its trailer and took pictures of the mounted transducer to send to Garmin (in case the Garmin tech rep wants to see them). I did this as I still think I need to do further analysis to be sure what I'm seeing now is normal. We were paid for our work as we filled the gas tank at the same time and saved about $50 over the local marina prices.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with this problem.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: