The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lotsa' Part-throttle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefoot

City/Region: St. Johns River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Altered Attitudes
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Lotsa' Part-throttle. Reply with quote

Some may remember that I have an EFI 4-stroke 50 BUT am coping with seemingly endless manatee zones, no-wake zones, marina zones, some very shallow water, and now, chunks of houses a tornado dumped in the open water. You may also remember that with almost all slow running I've considered swapping for everything from a 9.9 main engine to twin 20s.
Airplanes and outboards are made for steady high cruising rpm, but cars are fine with "light and variable" throttle. What I want to know comes down to what I saw addressed here once but can't find now: how well will my modern 50 hold up to running like a car: mostly at idle, just off-idle, light throttle, part-throttle, and rare slow planing?
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping the water flow clean is a good thing to avoid over heating...not sure how much/many house parts you are dealing with....or sand. With a lot of sand, I'd be pron to change the impeller annually along with the lower unit oil/lubes.

You may want to also use a fuel additive due to the minimal fuel burn you have, several day/night temp changes could produce a bit of moisture in your tank. I did not have EFI four strokes on my pair of Honda 90s, and often ran them at idle for about 6 hours a day just poking around Lake Martin look'n-&-cook'n and loving life on the boat.

Now that is simply from a user's prespective...and experiences.

Great waters down your way and we really need to some day set us up a little loop trip down your way on the St. Johns.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Capt. Jim

City/Region: Lafayette
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Cajun Dory
Photos: Cajun Dory
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, these engines will last when properly maintained. Keep fuel conditioner in your gas and change the oil at recommended intervals or perhaps more often than that. Kind of like stop and go driving in traffic in the city.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, they're really good now, compared to the engines of old. I'm running slow most of the time as well, no problems.
barefoot

City/Region: St. Johns River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Altered Attitudes
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, all. Glad to hear the 50 should be OK with "stop and go driving." Mainly, I still think a pair of 20s would be so cool, but am glad I won't have to swap before I want to. No sand in it as the water has been too shallow even to launch. Already have stabilizer in the gas. The house parts in the water (and bottom) are hunks of lumber, paneling, roofing foam, aluminum sheds, etc. Back when a neighbor could still launch, he limped home with a great gob of wire around the prop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: