The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Best Lifesling Tackle Attachment Point on CD-22?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once watched as a fellow fell in between a 28' Bayliner and the dock. The wind had really picked up that day, and I still remember his cry as the boat surged against the dock, with his torso acting as fender. Ouch. He was pulled out of the water right away, but man, that was scary.

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. We'll conduct some tests later this season, and I'm sure we'll all learn a lot.

As for Warren's question:
Quote:
Assuming that the person to be retrieved with the parbuckle is floating unconscious parallel to the hull, how do you get the parbuckle up and underneath the victim and then hooked on to the hoist?
I intend to rig a line to the outboard end of the ladder...long enough for the ladder to hang vertically into the water, and tied to the cabin grab-rail. If the ladder is being used as a ladder, everybody can ignore this line. If the victim is unable to climb the ladder, the idea is to grab this line and pull it out away from the boat while you pull the victim (who, hopefully, has the Lifesling collar under their arms) into the U-shaped channel created by the parbuckle and this line. Does that make sense? I'll have to take pictures.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falling overboard while docking is relitatively common. I must confess I did it at least twice when a kid--once with the "ship's clock"--a Waltam Railroad watch in my hand. My dad used to tell of seeing the clock emerging from the water since I tried to keep it dry as I went over--the clock was saved by putting it in fresh water, then gasoline, and off to the jewlers. I was a skinny kid and my dad was strong, so he pulled me out of the water both at the dock and once at sea when I fell overboard (we didn't have any lifelines our our sailboat and I had gone foreward to tighten some halyards.)

I always warned folks to stay on the boat--not to jump off to the dock. Despite that warning, one of our friends jumped from our Cal 46 to a fishing boat In Alaska--and slipped right into the harbor. Fortunately she was thin, athletic and her husband pulled her right out--freeboard over 3 1/2 feet--but she went down first, to prevent being caught between the Cal 46 and the fishing boat, and I didn't kick the boat into reverse to pull the stern in so there was room for her. The C Dories are relitatively light in comparison to some larger sailboats--and the risk of injury are substantial in larger boats.

Getting people back aboard is a serous business. But we have to remember that some of us, as we age do not have as much upper body strength as we once had.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Your last post reminds me of the saying:- "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was."

Glad to see you back on form...

Merv
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also fallen in while trying to jump to the dock. The dock can be one of the most dangerous places for boaters.

I tell people not to jump for the dock. If you cannot step onto the dock don't go!

Steve
timflan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received some questions from C-Brats about progress with my parbuckle/ladder rescue net. I finally wrote it up here:

http://www.navagear.com/2007/12/overboard-rescue-parbuckleladder-4/
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up of your experiences, and emphasises that it is very difficult to get aboard in the best of circumstances. It would seem that the parabuckle would have to be lifted from both the foreward and aft ends--a block and tackle would seem most effecient. I can see using the Garhauer Davit for the aft end, and putting a strong point on the cabin lip for the foreward point. However, I doubt if your daughter could pull you up--considering the throwing of the life sling (which is designed to be towed to the victum). There are thowable inflatable life saving devices,which could be thrown to a greater distance... But still the problem is with the person who is impaired. Impairment comes very rapidly with cold water and early hypothermia. Compounding is the weight of clothes and the resistance of boots or shoes.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timflan wrote:
I've received some questions from C-Brats about progress with my parbuckle/ladder rescue net. I finally wrote it up here:

Tim (and Bob), I have been thinking about this issue for some time because I want to be able to self-rescue if necessary. Here is my latest thought, which of course assumes that I am not knocked out and have some strength left: hook the Lifesling up to the block and tackle and make it deployable by someone already in the water (some type of release lanyard to pull it out of the container and alongside the boat.) Use the block and tackle to pull myself up to the point where I can roll over the gunwale and into the cockpit.

Whaddaya think?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
timflan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'worth a try. Before you go to any great trouble rigging up the "deploy from overboard" ripcord arrangment, I strongly suggest you put on a wetsuit, climb in the water, have someone throw the Lifesling to you, rigged as you imagine it would be, and get yourself in the boat. If you can do it, then move forward.

If nothing else, I've satisfied myself that you have to really practice this stuff. Don't just buy the gear, install it, and expect it to work in a crisis. Climb right into the water and USE IT when it's not an emergency. I don't particularly like climbing into Puget Sound, wetsuit or not, so I waited until I was in Lake Washington to try it out.

I think it's probably a good idea to practice this stuff once a year, at least. I've got to get my wife and kids out of the boat for some practice, too. Gotta be summer, gotta be warm, gotta be fun.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We "proofed" our hoisting arrangements on all of our larger boats--by having my wife hoist me aboard (easier because we started from S. Calif. or Florida, where the water was warmer)--also remember that a wet suit gives you some flotation, plus it decreases the hypothermic effect. So if you fall overboard, it will be more difficult than what you simulate.

I have pulled myself up to the top of 60 foot masts with 4:1 block and tackle more times than I would care to remember (and that is why we "electrified" the process--since I went up every time before we put to sea). A strong man can do this easily--but some one who is not in shape will have more difficulty. The problem still remains, to get the lifting point high enough with the life sling. We had to put the lifting point up 10 to 12 feet off the water to have a reliable way to get the entire body over the railing--not a problem with a boat which has a Radar arch on the stern, where the top is 9 feet off the deck, or a boat with an electric crane davit 12 feet off the water for the dinghy--but these heights are not available on the C Dory. (except with the davit on the side of the cabin--as we discussed in a prior thread).
Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

"Kingfisher" photo album, page #3, sub album "PIW recovery..."

Merv
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy wrote:
Warren,

"Kingfisher" photo album, page #3, sub album "PIW recovery..."

Merv

Here's a photo link to click on to go directly to the sub-album:

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pix and ideas. Merv, have you tested this in a self-rescue mode?

Just thinking out loud here -- how about an inflatable platform that you put under your feet or your butt while in the water and yank a lanyard to inflate?

Warren
Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

I have not tested it on myself or on anyone else, yet! No real excuse for not doing apart from cold water. But I guess if I could do it on the trailer it would also work at sea. The only issue I see so far is getting sufficient clearance for the POB's butt to be able to swing it inboard. If this proves to be a problem, there is always one higher rung on the radar arch I can try or I could have people sit in the lifesling if they were capable. A Bosuns chair would also work.

However I do like your idea of attaching an inflatable to someone's feet and then yanking on it and I do have a couple of test "dummies" I would dearly like to try it on !!! Twisted Evil

Ideally we would all wear full safety harness.

Bottom line for me is if the POB is in real danger, they should be happy even if I gaff them !!

Merv
arniehuff

City/Region: Red Bluff
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Loose Nut
Photos: Loose Nut
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: We've been there! Reply with quote

New Year's Day - '69 or maybe '70 - Just outside Ala Wai Harbor (Honolulu, Hi) - we were hailed by a sailboat (est 25+ ft). 3 adults visible on the boat. As we approached they told us they had found a non-responsive diver floating in the water, and were UNABLE to get him aboard their boat. We eased alongside and got hold of this person. The sailboat folks told us they would radio for an ambulance to meet us if we could take this person in, and pulled away. (Small open boats didn't carry 2-way radios in those days.) We had a 13' Boston Whaler, and with 3 30-something scuba enthusiasts aboard, had no problem getting this long, lanky young man into the boat along with his double 72's and other gear. He was alive and groaned a bit but said nothing, and just curled up in the fetal position in the bottom of the boat.

We got back to the pier ASAP and the ambulance was waiting. I spoke to the EMT's and suggested this was a diving incident and to consider Sub Base, Pearl Harbor becasue a decompression chamber was available there. The EMTs took the guy and we said we would hold his gear for him. He seemed OK when he came to pick it up a week or so later.

After the inflatable (our 1st boat) and the Whaler, our boats had good boarding ladders and we were pretty good at helping diving buddies aboard if they needed help.

Fast forward to present - the northern Pacific is cold, the Loose Nut presents fair amount of freeboard when viewed from waterline on the wet side - We do have some stuff - like a rope ladder that has never been wet and some odds and ends of line - but when Whiskeytown Lake warms up a bit next spring we have promised ourselves to hit the water and learn what we really can and can't do in a MOB situation before we head for the big blue pond for the summer.

Thanks to the folks already working on this, we are watching your posts closely. Love these C-Brats for sharing!

Marcia
ryder

City/Region: duncan
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting stuff. I tend to boat alone alot so I focus on first of all how to stay in the boat and second how to get back aboard. There was an interesting article in Pacific yachting about how to make a plan. In the North West it has to be a 10 min plan. That is all you can count on your muscles working. After 10 mins you will no longer have the strength or muscle control to help yourself. Quite honestly there are so many variables it is impossible to forsee them all. Using a sling might work at the dock but what about 3 or 4 foot seas? Is someone at the helm or is the rescuer the captain in which case the boat is flopping around out of control while a someone is trying to hoist a 200lb guy aboard. Scary stuff.
Ryder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: