The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD25 Trailer Brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: CD25 Trailer Brakes Reply with quote

After 6000-8000 miles I decided to check the Kodiak SS disc brakes and rotate the tires. The first disc I checked was pretty thin, so called Pacific Trailer and ordered all new pads. Pleasant surprise, a set of ceramic pads per axle was only $29, and, they were on my doorstep the next day!

Here's a picture of the new set vs old:

The last wheel's brakes were all the way down to the rivets. The old discs had warning indicators (screamers) on them, but they did not sound off at all during my last trip, maybe because the pads wore so unevenly. Also, the rotors were supposed to be SS, they aren't (obviously), called Pacific, they said they quit putting them on because they warped too much. So they switched to just Cadmium plated steel. Anybody else heard this? Next changeout I'd like to put true SS rotors/hubs on.

A neat trick to raising a 7500 lb boat/trailer is to lower the tongue within inches of the ground, then place a couple of sturdy jack stands a few feet between the rear axle under the frame. Then lift the tongue about 3 ft. If the wheels still aren't clear (mine weren't), then place a small bottle jack between the two axles under the leaf spring center support and lift until the tires clear the ground. This is a good safety factor to have 2 separate supporting methods while working on the tires and brakes. I'd use this on the road also if I need to change a wheel.

A completed brake assy (and don't forget the antisieze compound for the lug bolts):

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve it looks like the caliper was pulling that outer pad in to contact the rotor and that it was dragging when released.... normally the rotor runout is enough to push that back....was it stuck ???

Joel
SEA3PO
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Quote:
Steve it looks like the caliper was pulling that outer pad in to contact the rotor and that it was dragging when released.... normally the rotor runout is enough to push that back....was it stuck ???

Yes I wondered about that too. Probably should've lubed (somehow) the bushings that the calipers ride on, might have to do with it now that you mention it. All four sets wore about the same, uneven top/bottom and inside track vs outside, and only the outer pads were heavily worn, inner pads only 1/4 worn or less. So that may be the answer, dragging calipers.

Thanks Joel, I'll take a look at them before hitting the road on the Delta trip.

Last edited by Dora~Jean on Thu May 03, 2007 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

You may want to stick with the steel rotors. I have the SS rotors on my king trailer and king is also not using them any more. The SS rotors score easily and I think that adds to pad wear. When my rotors need replacing I will go with steel.

There have been several posts about problems with the SS brakes.

Steve
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. SS is pretty soft as metals go, understandable on the scoring, and if the design isn't well ventilated, I can see how they'd warp also. Someone will solve it someday I'm sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: