The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dri-Dek Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Dri-Dek Installation Reply with quote

I am thinking of installing some Dri-Dek in the cockpit of our boat. I see that the squares attach using some sort of post and loop setup. Do the squares stay together pretty well, or do they need to be glued using Dek Bond. Thanks.

Rob
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The squares stay together quite well and don't need to be bonded. However, you might take a look at Home Depot or Lowes harware stores. I had dri deck but at $5/square never bought as much as I should have.

I found a simlar materail at home depot - it only comes in black but at $1/square (in boxes of 10 @ $10/box), it was MUCH cheaper.

Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: home depot Reply with quote

Glad to have the Home Depot tip. Any idea what the product name is?

Dave
jdahlfin

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dRI-decking is just great, but don't glue it down, i thought of doing it, am glad i didn'T, LOTS OF STUFF GEY DOWN IN THE SPACES, AND AT TIMES YOU CAN PULL THE WHOLE THING UP WITHOUT COMING APART AND CLEAN UNDER IT. I HAVE IT IN THE CABIN AS WELL AS THE DECK, LOVE IT BEST THING FOR KEEPING THE FLOOR FROM BEING SLICK.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dri-Dek Installation Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
I am thinking of installing some Dri-Dek in the cockpit of our boat. I see that the squares attach using some sort of post and loop setup. Do the squares stay together pretty well, or do they need to be glued using Dek Bond. Thanks.

Rob

Hope I understand your question correctly....

The Dri-Deck and Deck-Mate (another brand) snap together using the posts and loops.

As I remember the cost was about $5 a square foot several years back.

Special smaller border sections are tapered to avoid catching the edges and dress the installation up.

No adhesives are required. Using them would be much too messy

During hot (90 defgrees plus) weather, though, the PVC material can get squishy and the posts and loops come apart a little too easily. Splashing some water on them to cool them returns them to reasonable firmness.

The decking is used around pools and locker rooms probably more than boats.

Walking on this non-skid grid decking with bare tenderfoot soles is uncomfortble for some.

I've actually found that putting the Dri-Deck over indoor carpeting cushions the harshness of the feel of the decking. During hot weather, splashing the carpet with water cools the decking and makes for a great combination!

Cleaning under a Dri-Deck / carpet combination can require some diligence and attention to detail.

The decking looks attractive by itself. Laying it over carpeting looks even better. I have royal blue decking layed over red carpet. Great for cruising, but serious fishermen won't find it compatible with bleeding fish on the cockpit floor! Don't shoot those Halibut with the .410 shotgun on the new Dri-Deck!

Joe. Laughing

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (used) CD-22 came with Dri-deck in the cockpit. I love it, and wouldn't be without it. It' not glued down, so can easily be lifted to clean underneath. It was well installed and fits side to side, so it doesn't slide around at all. It provides safer footing in the cockpit.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which brand is better or different, but some dri-decks I've been on don't feel too good when you're barefoot.

John
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Dri-Tek is great stuff. You do not have to glue it down, and it is easy to put down.

I have a Hunter Green color, and find that it gets mushy in the direct sun. It is easy to keep clean and to clean under, all you have to do is hose it or pick it up and clean under it. It keeps your feet dry, and I hope that it will work with a SunShower and bucket for keeping me clean. The water runs back to the sump at the location of the plug in the stern, and then gets pumped out into the motorwell. I can then control soap suds going into the marina or harbor and let it out of the motorwell after I leave port. (I think that gray water will soon be controlled in the no-pump ones.)

It is pricey, and if you can buy it cheaper, do so.

Fred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: