The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Center window windshield wiper and motor for C-Dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Center window windshield wiper and motor for C-Dory Reply with quote

Hi! Since I have a CD-22 Cruiser w/o the opening center window, it seems feasible to add a windshield wiper to that window and then electrify it with a motor for convenience.

Does anyone else have experience installing a wiper on this center window?

I kind of experimented around with the possible placement positions for the arm, and have tentatively decided that the best probable location is on the port side of the middle window, about four inches down from the upper corner, with similar clearance spacing as the port and starboard windows, but on the side mentioned, due to the lack of clearance space for the handle/motor body at the top and bottom of the window because of the encroachment of the elevated dash at the bottom and the electronics shelf at the top. It could go on the starboard side, but with the motor, as opposed to the manual handle, putting it further away doesn't inconvenience the helmsman, and also blocks less of the view to the outside.

It also looks like one would be limited to about an 80 or 90 degree sweep angle for the arm/blade.

Any advice on motor brand selection or model preference?

Thanks for the diagrams of the wiring for the parking feature! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.W. Joe, I've installed a hand operated wiper on our center opening window. It manages to wipe off just enough area to peek out with one eyeball but I like it. Being the center window and having the visor, or brow, I find that the center window only needs an occasional wipe so the manual aspect of the wipeification process is not a big problem. With the wiper parked on the window, I can open the window enough for a bit of fresh air. If I need to open the window more than an inch or two, I need to reach my finger out the window and move the blade off the window. My set up is mounted at the bottem, starboard side of the window. With an electric wiper mounted at the top of the window, you would probably not need to go through the finger process. I'll stick some pics of the Hand Operated Wiper for Center Opening Window (HOW COW for short) in the album this weekend
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken- Thanks for the thoughts! Maybe I need to re-think the motorized wiper for the center window????? The last time we went through a downpour and heavy windstorm it got me thinking about at least the wiper, and at the first thought, it seemed logical to go ahead and motorize it like the other two. Probably manual would be ok in all but the worst conditions. I'll look forward to the photos!

P.S. : Make those guys beg for the last smelt in the known Universe!!!

Any other opinions out there?

Thanks! Joe
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
Hand Operated Wiper for Center Opening Window (HOW COW for short)

Perhaps another title for your wiper could be Manually Assisted Dewaterer for Center Opening Window (MAD COW for short). Rolling Eyes

As for the lack of smelt, it's probably because of ...
Smelt
Habitat
Isn't
There

Disgust

C-Brat #16
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a tough day of dishing out some Special High Intensity Training, I've added some MAD COW pics in the B~C album
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken- Thanks a bunch for the Special Holistically Illuminating Telemetic views of your TRIPLE WIPE SYSTEM. Mike and the boys at the Paper Mill beware! We have seen the FUTURE! Squeegees are in and paper is out.

Enough of this nonsense! Thanks, seriously, for your efforts to help us all see how it can be done. The set-up looks very good and workable, especially for those with opening center windows that might think a wiper on the center window was impractical. This site is a gold mine of "been there, done that" information and other ideas.

By the way, what do you think of the custom CD-27 Pilot House Cruiser for sale in the classifieds on this site? I'm looking into it seriously. Kind of big (like a CD-22 on steroids), but might just meet my needs here on Shasta Lake with an occasional Full House out for a summer cruise, swim, and overnight stay. Beats the heck out of buying a patio or houseboat!!!

Thanks! Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: