View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry and Lisa

City/Region: Galveston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kid 'n' me
Photos: Kid 'n' me
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Backing Tomcat Into Slip Reply with quote

Lisa and I received our 24 Tomcat, the Kid'n'me, from Fort Myers last Saturday. Not having piloted a boat before, it was scary for me to be alone in the boat and pilot it from the launch ramp to our slip at the Galveston Yacht Club and Marina. The latter is something that I would not have even tried, had I been able to find someone to do it for me. Also, the driver was anxious to unload and head back to Fort Myers.

The experience was all the more stressful since the weather was poor (gusts to 30-40 mph and 2-ft chop) and the area was crowded with boats participating in an annual marina event. I tried to remain calm and take it nice and slow. Nevertheless, to say that I was stressed out is an understatement. (I hate to admit this but, at one point, I even noticed my right foot feeling for the brake!)

When I arrived at our assigned pier and slip, I managed after several tries to get the boat into the slip bow first and secure her with docking lines where she remained overnight. All the other power boats in the marina were backed in, but I wasn't going to try that in such poor conditions.

Lisa and I returned to the marina early the following morning; fortunately it was very calm with only the slightest breeze. I, therefore, decided to try to back the Kid'n'me into the slip and raise her on her slings. I wasn't nearly as nervous as the day before and managed to back her in on the second try.

I can tell you that the Tomcat is an and incredibly well mannered boat. I realize this is the opinion of a novice to boating, but it really did seem that the boat was conveying confidence to the pilot! I backed out of the slip and brought her around till her stern faced the slip by putting one engine in forward and the other in reverse. She turned on a dime! Then, with both engines in neutral, at idle, and facing straight, I alternately shifted one or the other from neutral to reverse to bring the stern to starboard (port engine engaged) or port (starboard engine engaged) as needed to coast into the slip.

Now Lisa and I will take a Coast Guard boating class and also find someone to give us hands on lessons in piloting, caring for, and enjoying the Kid'n'me to the max.

My question (finally!) is: Did I accidently use the right approach to docking a Tomcat or is there a different and better way?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Kerry and Lisa
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry-

Sounds like you did a teriffic job!

I'm not familiar with driving the Tomcat, but the greater motor separation between the hulls, when compared with a mono-hull, should make the dual engine steering via forward/reverse thrusting even easier.

Mono-hulls with single motors, especially a conventional inboard, are the hardest to maneuver. An outboard's thrust is much more directable than that a fixed shaft and propeller with a post rudder behind.

Some will tell you that with dual engines only the forward/reverse shifting is needed for such close-quarter maneuvering, and it works and is simple.

Additionally using the wheel as well as the forward/reverse thrusting can be advantageous in dual installations, but is more comples and requires more advanced thinking and is harder to do in tight/stressfull/panic situations.

Welcome to the Boat Brake Captain's Club. It's a secret society that few admit to being members of, and has similar Fraternal Chapters of Astronauts, Submariners, and Skydivers. Our Motto: "Keep your eyes on the target and your feet on the brakes, and don't be a party to any funeral wakes!"

Congradulations on your new Tomcat and welcome aboard!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Kerry-

Sounds like you did a teriffic job!

I'm not familiar with driving the Tomcat, but the greater motor separation between the hulls, when compared with a mono-hull, should make the dual engine steering via forward/reverse thrusting even easier.

Mono-hulls with single motors are harder to maneuver. The conventional inboard with it's fixed propeller and shaft with the rudder behind is the hardest to maneuver. The outboard is easier to manuever because an outboard's thrust is much more directable.

Some will tell you that with dual engines only the forward/reverse shifting is needed for such close-quarter maneuvering, and it does work, and is simple.

Additionally using the wheel as well as the forward/reverse thrusting can be advantageous in dual installations, but is more comples and requires more advanced thinking and is harder to do in tight/stressfull/panic situations.

Welcome to the Boat Brake Captain's Club. It's a secret society that few admit to being members of, and has similar Fraternal Chapters of Astronauts, Submariners, and Skydivers. Our Motto: "Keep your eyes on the target and your feet on the brakes, and don't be a party to any funeral wakes!"

Congradulations on your new Tomcat and welcome aboard!

Joe.
Ed Devlin

City/Region: Manhasset
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: goose
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry I have a Tom Cat and you did exactly the right thing with engines and clutches to turn boat.....Like anything else practice on calm days as much as you can and note tide and currents and how they effect the boat....good luck with her its a great boat....Ed
Kerry and Lisa

City/Region: Galveston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Kid 'n' me
Photos: Kid 'n' me
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

I posted a big thank you directly to Joe on the Sea Wolf and thank you as well. (I only just noticed that one can respond either to individuals or to all forum participants.)

Please check out my new posting under the topic "The Cat." Since, like the Kid'n'me, your 24 Tomcat sports 100 Yamahas, I think that you can probably give me good advice on how to run Tomcats in rough seas. Of course, I hope to avoid such conditions as much as possible, but it is always best to be prepared.

Thanks.

Kerry
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you did the right thing, and "did good". Remember that some of the outboard cats have engines set up differently than inboards. Mine are set up opposite to what inboards are--so when you get into a "new" boat, be sure and practice. Yes, the in and out of gear is the best way to back with the engines alighned straight. But I do find that I can turn a 180 better if I allow the thrust effect of the foreward engine to have precident.
Also always consider what the wind will do, and use it to your advantage. The Tom Cat hulls act as keels, and thus are very nice handling boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Backing Tomcat Into Slip Reply with quote

My question (finally!) is: Did I accidently use the right approach to docking a Tomcat or is there a different and better way?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Kerry and Lisa[/quote]

The only thing I see you could do different is 2 shots of tequila and a lortab first. Laughing just kidding
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry and Lisa...

Sounds like you handled the situation perfectly! Especially for a new boat. I've been boating for many decades, but a new boat can have a totally different feel from one's old boats, even if he/she was experienced.

I really feel for your having to jump in unexpectedly and get it to the dock in high winds in a crowded marina. 'Sounds like you stepped right up to the plate.

I noticed that you are speaking of Galveston Marina.... I am supposed to meet my sons at some marina in the Galveston area for some offshore fishing in early July this summer. Would your marina be a good place for me to reserve a slip for a week or so? Do you know of a good place for me to arrange a slip close to the Gulf for fishing?

I'd really appreciate any information.... especially from such exceptional "pilots" as you two!

John
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry and Lisa, you're not alone. I am not that far ahead of you on the learning curve.

The slip that I am renting requires me to maneuver my TC sideways in between 2 other boats and tie up to the side. I can get about halfway there and then it all falls apart and becomes a Chinese fire drill. Using my twins, I can walk the stern in close to the dock. But once I'm there I can't seem to get the knack of moving the bow in without throwing the stern back out.

Any suggestions from Brat-dom?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren...

I had the same problem trying to dock, like parallel parking, there at Edmonds Marina. The dock hands said the thing to do is to drive right straight forward, perpendicular to the docking spot, and pass off lines. Depending upon the wind, you could tie one end down and either motor or pull the other end up to the dock. If enough room, then go forward on a spring line.

Basically, they just wanted the bow up to the dock and some lines passed off.

Other than that, I don't have a better idea.

John
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above relates to wind off the dock. If wind is blowing you into the dock, then just adjust forward and backward while the wind blows you sideways into the docking slot.

John...

btw.... what happened to the "Edit" tag thing that used to be at the top of these entries?

John
Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
btw.... what happened to the "Edit" tag thing that used to be at the top of these entries?

Yeah, I discovered that too this morning on one of my posts. Did you also notice there is a button now for Yahoo IM?

Bill, can we have our edits back?

Warren
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
After you get the stern in, then get a spring line--from the dock aft, to the amidships cleat. As you power foreward very slowly (just a few kicks) this will bring the boat parallel to the dock. If you can drive the bow in, then the spring line would be the opposite (dock foreward, boat aft).

The TC pivoits around the engines, unless you have another point of pivot--and the spring moves this pivoit point. There are various devices you can use to get a spring line ahore, over a piling to a cleate or bull rail.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Boats for Sale By Owner" forum is the only one that does not have an Edit button - that was intentional. Has come up a few times before, will no doubt stay this way.

Lori Ann wrote:
drjohn71a wrote:

Yeah, I discovered that too this morning on one of my posts. Did you also notice there is a button now for Yahoo IM?

Bill, can we have our edits back?

Warren

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about using a spring line but rejected it as being for wimps and by golly I was going to do it like the pros! Now I feel better about my boat-handling skills (or lack thereof.)

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: