The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom paint on new boat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commander bill

City/Region: Centre
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Bottom paint on new boat Reply with quote

New R25 tug on order. Had planned on barrier coat & bottom caot before delivery (late january 0Cool. While reading BoatUS forum I noted comments about light sanding used during typical process as voiding hull warrenty. I called local Marina in Tennessee. They apply bottom paint frequently and yes they believe it voids warrenty. Is this true? sounds like a catch 22.

Marina also asked me why I was considering barrier coat on new hull. Marina owner said that was a waste. He would only apply bottom paint
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bottom paint on new boat Reply with quote

commander bill wrote:
New R25 tug on order. Had planned on barrier coat & bottom caot before delivery (late january 0Cool. While reading BoatUS forum I noted comments about light sanding used during typical process as voiding hull warrenty. I called local Marina in Tennessee. They apply bottom paint frequently and yes they believe it voids warrenty. Is this true? sounds like a catch 22.

Marina also asked me why I was considering barrier coat on new hull. Marina owner said that was a waste. He would only apply bottom paint

commander bill-

Very good questions!

IMHO, you're best bet is to talk to Ranger Tugs directly regarding the warranty issue and whether sanding the gelcoat is necessary.

I went though much the same kind of question with my C-Dory. No issue about the warranty with an older boat, but the marina yard wouldn't paint the bottom with anti-fouling paint w/o the barrier coat which requires sanding. I didn't really want to sand the gelcoat, thinking it unnecessary if the hull were washed properly with solvents to remove any wax, and wanted to preserve the gelcoat's integrity.

The yard's insistence on sanding and applying the barrier coat stems, I believe, from their own desire to protect themselves from a possible comeback if the boat were to blister. I shuddered at the idea of some guy with minimal or no understanding of all the principles involved and at the bottom of the pecking order around the shop, doing the work, lying on his back on a creeper with a big belt sander with 80 grit going 200 mph!!! (belt speed, not creeper speed!)

I would definitely find out if and what anti-fouling paints there are that could be applied w/o sanding. Remember that anti-fouling paint selection depends a great deal on the location the boat is used and moored, and varies greatly with fresh/salt water, temperature, and the fouling organisms anticipated. The locals usually know best through practical experience!

Also, when you call the factory, ask if they would apply a suitable paint that would survive the transport to you (time and agitation on the trailer), and still assure their warranty if they say the other local preparation where you are will void it.

You're right about the Catch-22 nature of this situation! It's a great name for a CD-22, but I think, unfortunately, it's taken!

On the other hand, I do know there are at least 3 or more Hunky Dorys around!

Keep us posted!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-mail or call Andrew or Jeff at Ranger Tug directly. They will be able to give you all the information you need. They give great customer service.

andrewcurtis@rangertugs.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard C Dory (not Ranger) did recommend light sanding. I would not apply epoxy barrier coat, without dewaxing (using dewaxing solvents specifically designed for this)--and without light hand sanding. This is not a belt sander or removal of any gel coat, just scratching it, after the dewaxing. I also would not keep a boat in the water full time without a barrier coat.

It may be that up North, they don't see much blistering because the boats dry out during the winter. But it can and does occur. There is no guarantee that a layer of vinlyester resin will prevent blistering.

Certainly do what Ranger says to do...but don't let the marina talk you out of doing a proper job. Be sure that the marina does it correctly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of info. My Ranger had bottom paint when it came from the factory. Seems to be a hard finish type bottom paint. Must be be anti fouling paint, as I have had nothing growing on it in salt water or fresh. If they put it on It can not effect the warranty.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Auklet

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Auklet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small correction on Andrew's address:
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
On my Ranger the bottom coat was put on by the dealer, not the factory. Had a choice of hard for trailered boats or soft for water moored boats. Most boats now don't need a special barrier coat. The quality of fiberglass improved a lot in recent years. I nearly lost my 1980 San Juan 24 to blisters. It had to be sand-blasted and refinished. Same thing happened to my brother's Bystedt 30. The late '70s and early '80s were the worst years for hull blistering. There were very few problems before or after those years that I am aware of. I believe that it was a change in chemistry that caused the problem.

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a peroid from 1975 to the early 1980 era when Uniflite had changed the fire retardant Hetron from a source other than Dupont. These boats had severe blistering--probably the worse blistering which we have seen. Many of these boats had not only topside hull blistering, but also deck and trunk cabin blistering--bromine in the fire retardant was the cause.

However boats did have blistering in the 30's thru now--not just in the 75 to 80 era. Blistering still occurs--and it can occure in new boats (unfortunately). Boat building is about making a profit, and the cheaper polyester resins are more likely to be used in boat construction. (Vinlyester resin is more resistant to water permeability than polyester--and epoxy is more resistant than vinlyester.) Many builders are using a single or even several layers of vinlyester (and other higher quality resins) on the outside, but limited because of the costs. I have seen boats only a few months old develope blisters.

Pascoe has a piece about the blistering history--and his thoughts.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moreonblisters.html.htm

Incidently, sand blasting a boat's bottom is a very bad idea. It drives material into the laminate, exposes the ends of the mat fibers, and drives sand grains into the lamiante. Peeling with carbide planer type of blades is a much better technology--then routing out with carbide bits, any residual blisters, and rebuilding the laminate with concentric circles and epoxy--plus either building the hull bottom surface with either epoxy (and filler) or a layer or two of cloth and epoxy, if the damage is deep.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I would much rather prevent blisters than repair them.
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Another bottom paint question Reply with quote

My new 22' Cruiser will be kept on Lake WA, venturing into the salt water these first months for C-Brats events.
If I understand, the common thought is all of our boats need the bottom paint if we go in salt water, correct?

Now for the sanding question...is there a warranty question with the factory if a brand new boat is sanded?
And is there one specific coating that most all Brats use?
Do most people do two coats?

I hope to pick up the boat Friday Nov. 30th, so need to decide what to do!

Thanks,
BaseCampAnne
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basecampanne:

Fresh water, because of its lower osmolaity, is even more prone to causing blisters than salt water. If your boat is going to be kept in the water most of the time, it does not matter whether the water is fresh or salt. The hull needs both blister protection as well as prevention of marine growth.

You may want to start here..

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4595&highlight=tomcat+bottom+paint

commander bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original concern was that my dealer is on Gulf Coast & the boat yard he would use for bottom paint might not use proper paint for my intended location (boat will spend next 3 years in Tennessee river - cool & fresh water & boat out of water extended periods each winter). After visiting local boat yard in Tennessee & watching the minimum wage guy power-sand hulls I decided that they would not do any work for me. Price quoted by my dealer on coast was higher but I trust him far more. I discussed warrenty question with him & he is sensitive to concern & trying to get some sort of official position from Ranger Boats. Meanwhile I am convinced I still need to apply barrier coat & bottom paint.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to ask around the local marina on the Tennessee River to see what bottom paint is holding up the best and have Marc put that on your boat. We have Found that Trinidad SR works very well in our area of the Gulf coast. One of my boats stays in the water full time, and has only a minmal amount of growth after 3 years. The dock is in fresh water, but the bay is brackish and the ICW and gulf are salt.
commander bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I had already asked locally in Tennessee & they recommended Interlux Micron CSC on Tennessee river. Marc said that was a good choice. I intended to keep boat at a slip on Watts bar lake in Tennessee for about 6-7 months & on my trailer on my farm in North Alabama during winter. My understanded is that not all paints can be removed from water for extended periods but Interlux is supposed to be acceptable.
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="commander bill" said ]My understanded is that not all paints can be removed from water for extended periods but Interlux is supposed to be acceptable.[/quote]
Which is very true, but some Interlux can not last out of the water. csc I believe you can.
captd
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micron CSC is an excellent choice and will do well with the on the trailer storage. Have them put on different colors in the coats, so you can see how it wears. You can touch it up if necessary. You should get a number of seasons with this application.
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Bottom Painting Was Needed Reply with quote

I found growth on the hull of my new R21 EC almost immediately down here in Texas. I couldn't leave the boat in the water even a couple of weeks without having really nasty accumulations. I had a local marina apply the paint and they said to expect five years on the job. They also said that short (less than 4 months) trips to salt water would not be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: