The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dinghy Options for the Ranger 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Does that rack they used for kayaks just clamp around the hand rails or did they have a base and screwed them into the roof? I sure like the idea of the thule. Did you mount it dead center on the boat or does it set to the starboard side? It looks like, from the picture, it is on the starboard so it is easy to get into. After having the top rack on the Hunky Dory it is hard to do without. It would also help my ballast problem.
Thanks for all the good ideas.
Darrel

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sports rack Ranger provided just clamps to the existing rails on the boat. We then just attached the carrier to the rails. I attached it dead center - for best "appearance" and it is a little bit of a stretch to reach. I've used the boat hook to pull things closer, and have resorted to climbing on the cabin to to arrange things.

I avoid putting much weight up there - didn't want to make the boat top heavy, but really I have no data....

Mac
captd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mac,
Appreciate all the info. I am working on storage in the cave and doors up front above the helm. Put in a new helm seat with arm rests. Bob Guth did it and it really impressed me. I'll post pictures in the albums.
Darrel
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a nice looking dinghy and practical. A bit pricey--at about $4,000 sail away, but so is my "Fatty Knees" which costs about the same(close to 5K now), and is not as handy to stow!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
captd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mac,
Some of your experience with the Pudgy would sure be appreciated. I have picked up my boat and am ready to mount it on the dive platform. I sent you a p-mail via this site. Don't quite know how that works so I thought I would ask a few questions right here. Did you get the boat you ordered at this point? I have the Weaver davits and am ready to install. Is there anything you would do different in your mount positions? Like further in or out. I'm not in the water and parked in a spot that it is hard to get the dink up into position, so I wondered if I could just measure and bolt the mounts in.
At the Ranger factory I saw a Livingston dink mounted on a Ranger. Andrew had used the Weaver winch and stand offs. It looked like it made good sense. Kind of spendy tho. How did it work on your boat to pull it up by hand? I noticed you used a fender to rest the dink against, was that satisfactory?

I have a small leak in the keel hand hold. They said there was a new adhesive the worked with polyethene. They haven't told the name of the stuff. Maybe one of the C-Brats could tell me what it is?
Darrel (captd)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:
I have a small leak in the keel hand hold. They said there was a new adhesive the worked with polyethene. They haven't told the name of the stuff. Maybe one of the C-Brats could tell me what it is?
Darrel (captd)

Darrel-

We discussed it in relation to the black water holding tank repair.

It's Loctite's Polyolefin Adhesive.

Let us know how it works out!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
captd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe,
Have you seen it in any stores, or do you think I would have to order it? Hopefully it is here in the states already. UK is a long way from here. The stuff really sounds good.
Factory has told me to use a hot gun and a piece of polyethene and weld the spot. A touchy job at best.
Darrel
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrel-

Do a Google search for it. The double dispensing 35 ml syringe costs about $17, plus shipping.

You might also phone a couple of your local RV outlets and see if they have any as it would be good for a lot of RV applications, including the storage tanks.

Joe.
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darrel -

I replied to your PM, maybe your email address isn't working correctly? Anyway, my response may be useful to others, so here it is:

I still have the orange loaner - waiting for mine to be built. Wonder if I'll ever get it? I got another note today from Tony that the last molding run failed again, no schedule for another (but should be soon).

To mount the brackets, I put the Pudgy in the water, and lined up the brackets to mark & drill the mounting holes. I chose to put the brackets in as far as I could - to avoid a gap between pudgy and swim step so the dog's feet wouldn’t get caught in between, and so the brackets wouldn't stick out past the swim step.

Turns out the bracket needs room underneath the sliding mechanism, so I had to chisel away under the bracket so the slider would function.

I think I would do it the same if I had a choice again - although I do have a problem with the swim step motor mount I added for fishing. Turns out I can't pull the dinghy up when the motor mount is installed - it hits. I don't know if I had installed the weaver brackets farther out if I could have given myself enough room for the dinghy to clear. Guess I could eyeball it next time I use the pudgy (and take off the motor mount).

I think you have to buy the Weaver Davits from Weaver. They slide into the molded holes in the pudgy - and are pretty slick. 10 seconds to put on the Pudgy - or to remove. They are a pain on the Pudgy - the front one sticks out quite far and makes a heck of a time to dock without spearing someone or something.

The fender was temporary. I also purchased the rod standoffs from Weaver - mounted the base on the swim step, removed the grab lines from the Pudgy and put in large D rings to provide a spot to clip the standoffs. Also pretty slick, though I doubt I would trust them to hold when trailer the boat without some back-up.

I couldn't lift the Pudgy by myself on the davits, so I rigged a 4 way pulley & line to the railing above the porthole (that's above the head) and attached it to the pudgy. It works pretty neat through the rear doorway and takes only 25 pound of pull to lift the pudgy. I put away between when not in use. I may now use the new Garhauer lift now that I have it.

Mac
captd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Appreciate all your information on the Pudgy. I probably screwed up. I ordered two ft stand offs. After studing the installation , I think 2 ft is going to be too short. You mentioned you came up from the dive platform, is that correct? How long were they? Did you get the d-rings from weaver? where were all your attachments? I ordered weavers winch with quick detachment.
If it is'nt to much trouble could you post a picture of your stand off setup?
Darrel
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't figure out how to attach the standoffs to the transom - and still use the canvas enclosure. So I attached the standoffs to the swim step. It makes it a triangle - not the most rigid structure, but I thought strong enough (maybe not for trailering though?). I can't remember the length - I vaguely remember 40 inches, but am not sure. I bought the fixed length, and located the attachment brackets on the swim step so they would work. I bought the D-Rings from a marine store - just made sure the width was adequate to span the molded piece on the Pudgy.

I just (today) took Island Ranger down to the Factory for the long overdue warranty work. Andrew met me at the launch ramp this afternoon - so I can't take any pictures, sorry!

Mac
Ranger Jeff
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Kent
Photos: Ranger Factory Album
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: dinghy install Reply with quote

Hello Darrel,

I have posted some photos in our Factory album of a dinghy install that we did here at the factory. It is a 7 1/2 Livingston dinghy. This may help you with your install.

Ranger Jeff

25802 Pacific Highway South
Kent, WA 98032
Office 253 839 5213
Cell 206 940 0571
e-mail jeffmessmer@rangertugs.com
captd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks for the pictures. It sure does help. Do you know how long those standoffs are? They look like the ajustable type. The two footers I ordered are on the way. I will have to send them back and get the longer ones. Thanks
Darrel
Ranger Jeff
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Kent
Photos: Ranger Factory Album
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the adjustable stand offs from Weaver. We tried several of the fixed sizes and the adjustable ones worked the best.

Ranger Jeff
captd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks to Jeff, Mac and Portland Pudgy I received all necessary information in time to change my order from Weaver. I caught the order before it was shipped. Man this is a terrific web site. Thanks one and all.
When I get it all put together I will post the pictures in detail in photo album.
captd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: