The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dinghy Options for the Ranger 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaft length is measured from the under side of the bracket clamps (the part which goes over the transom--to the caviation plate--the cavitation plate usually falls at the bottom of the boat (some exceptions--such as with bracketed motors, cats etc). If the measurement is 20" from bracket to the center of the prop, it is probably a "15" or standard engine. You can run engines, as long as the prop and water intake are submerged, which are not below the bottom of the transom, but the engine will be less effecient, and will not work well in reverse. (For example I have a 15" 15 hp which I am using as a "kicker" on the C D 25.--set back on a bracket it is a few inches lower than if it was on the transom, but it will still not be effective in reverse.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
If a guy has a problem, all he has to do is do it "Thataway".

Looks like I have two short shafts, the Suzuki 4 stroke and a two stroke, 2 horse Evinrude. I don't like the idea of lowering the transom. The Suzuki works good on the Boston Whaler for fishing. !st Mate will be going ballistic to get another long shaft. Did anyone every guess this boating and fishing business could get so expensive and complicated? Cry
Capt D

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:
Did anyone ever guess this boating and fishing business could get so expensive and complicated?

The classic definition of a boat is "a hole in the water into which you throw money."

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
ActiveCaptain

City/Region: Key Largo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering dinghy issues with the R-25. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used:
http://www.hurleymarine.com/index.html

...on these boats. It seems like a pretty nice idea if it holds up to vibration, etc. There's a video on the home page that shows how it works.

I'm wondering what the thoughts are on this type of davit.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hurley is a side slide davit (over the back of the swim step), and there is an end roller, with a winch similar bracket which also fits on the swim step, which will take a considerably larger dinghy--winches it over the side of the swim platform, not the back.
http://www.yachtsofstuff.com/adinclude/SwimDavit_PicsA.asp
With a heavy dinghy the Hurley would be fairly difficult--but one could use a winch if necessary.

But--both of these require a substantially wide (fore and aft) swim platform. 3 feet is pretty much the minimul where this will work. (You often want at least 6" to 8" where you can walk around the inboard side of the dinghy. The inflatables which I use are 5' and 5' 6" wide--so one would have to have a swim step at least 3 feet wide to effectively balance the dinghy on the step.

Of course, there is the ultimate, hyraulic lift swim step--which lowers both boat and divers into the water--probably the C R 25 is a small boat for this type of swim platform.
captd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get the Portland Pudgy yet? Strange outfit. Time is growing short.
Captd Rolling Eyes
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CaptD,

I talked with Tony at Portland Pudgy and they have just now gotten the mold working (they moved it to the East Coast). They should start molding up 10 boats any day now, will ship them here for finishing. I think it will still be several weeks before boats are available.

We used a loaner for our trip to Alaska. It worked really well on the Weaver Davits - I loved running it right on the beach/rocks/whatever. We pushed it with a 2 hp Honda.

Mac
captd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Thanks, The Pudgy seems like the perfect solution with the tug. We will wait as long as necessary to get one.
How did the Island Lady do on the trip to Alaska? No problems? Do you have a thread on the trip , that I may have missed? We have not taken the Mis Dee out into any rough water yet. I haven't heard any comments from other tug owners as to how well they take rough water. Over the years I developed lot of confidence in the 22 ft. C-Dory. Ranger seems to take a lot more splash on the windshield even in a light chop. Your experience would be of great interest to me.
We are going to cruise the Keys and the St. Johns river in Florida this fall and make the trip to the Bahamas this coming spring. The first two just to make sure all the bugs are out.
Darrel (captd)
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -

The boat did extremely well -I just haven't had time to post anything. I didn't start a thread - we only logged on twice (at Prince Rupert) - so it wasn't gonna happen real time. In our 52 day cruise, we covered 2000+ miles, burned over 800 gallons and typically cruised at 10 kts (at 4+ gph, 2800 rpm). The canopy and enclosure were a must with all the rain, the autopilot and radar were needed several days in the fog. The car top carrier worked great to hold garbage and laundry. And be sure to get a funnel to help fueling whenever you encounter the high speed diesel pumps - like at Hartley Bay.

Northern BC, and Alaska are incredibly beautiful places. Anchorages galore, typically all by ourselves. Bears - black and brown; whales - orcas, humpbacks, minkes; pacific white sided dolphin; waterfalls, ....then iceburgs as well!

The boat handles really well - even Linda felt safe heading into some pretty good size seas. Of course, rollers on the quarter weren't very comfortable - but we never felt threatened. Rain-x on the windows is a must, though the wipers did an OK job.

We ran with refrigeration and could last two days before we killed the two house batteries. The voltage really dropped during the third night, so I switched off the fridge then. The isolated engine battery started the engine, and the 80 amp charger on the Yanmar did a great job topping up the batteries. The hot water stayed hot enough for showers easily overnight.

We had a few problems to solve. We had starter problems (took me 4 hours while hanging on the hook the second day out to find the bad ground on the starter circuit and get the engine started); the fresh water pressure pump failed (easy to replace when you know where they hid it!); the diesel return fuel line had a bad clamp and dumped 1/2 gallon of fuel into the bilge over 3-4 days 'till I figured it out; and we had quite a problem with fumes (probably due to the enclosure). And water found several places to get in - I think from the skylights. The Factory has been great - I just need to bring Island Ranger to them to get everything fixed. But I don't want to give up the boat quite yet.....

We sure didn't want the trip to end, although we had planned to spend a week cruising the Gulf Island - there were just too many boats (we have been spoiled!) so we headed home.

The best summary I can give - Linda is ready to go again as soon as we can!

Mac
Island Ranger
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

Sounds like a fabulous "shake down" looking forward to hearing more as you have time. Compiling a punch list of items to look for when I take delivery of my R-25, hopefully before the holidays!!! Xmas Tongue
Take care

Drew
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Sounds like a great trip. Did you trailer to Prince Rupert or cruise the whole way?

captd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Wow, Lots of info to digest. Just to verify....10 kts and burned 4 plus gal of fuel. Like you got about 2 miles per gal? If that is so with 75 gal tank we have a range of 150 miles. That is an eye opener for me. Did you carry extra fuel? Where did you carry them? You said Car Carrier. Do you have pictures of it on your boat? 2000 miles is an excellent test for everything. Was that 52 days on the boat on the water or did you base on the hard and make trips.
Sorry about all the questions, but you are the first to get some good mileage on the Ranger. You can tell, some of are starving for information and getting our own experience with the boat.

Looking through your album I found all kinds of good things to do.
Tell Linda next time you make that trip we will chase after you.

The Mis Dee will get her chance this coming winter in warm water.
Just had the canopy installed. Tomorrow I will install the new 4000 pd winch on the trailer. I have (in cabin) rod reel holders coming. One piece of teak came in with the winch for some needed cabin improvements.
72 inch by 5 inch by 1/2 inch. $79.00 can you believe that?

Mac, you should start a thread on your trip. Just add to it when you feel like it. You would have some loyal followers.
Captd
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - been busy. Just finished mounting the Scotty downriggers on Island Ranger and tried fishing today. Did catch one blackmouth, but out of season so back he (she?) went. Gotta solve the problem of going too fast - idle speed is over 3 kts. I tried trailing buckets - that cuts 1/2 knt but makes a heck of a wake.

Yep, we cruise all the way up from South Whidbey. It took us three weeks to get to Tracy Arm. That included only one lay day for weather in Comox. We started trying to do 100 mile days (10 hours) but it was just too tiring so we kept cutting back until we settled in around 4-6 hours max each day.

We probably got around 2.5 miles to the gallon for the trip - running at 10 kts, so yes - 150 mile range with no reserve. The most we ever took was 65 gallons, so we got close. We carried a spare 5 gallons in a can just in case. I figured if we ran out, we could use the 5 gallons running at hull speed (6.5 kts, 1700 rpm), burning less that 1.5 gallons per hour and cover another 20 miles. We mapped out fuel stops - and were successful finding clean dry diesel frequently enough.

We bought the sport rack - actually Jeff threw it in at the boat show as an incentive to "sign now". We put a standard car Thule car top carrier on it instead of the kayaks they had at the show. It was great for storing garbage and laundry during the trip. It now houses the canvas enclosure, spare chairs and the grill - and the quarter berth is almost empty! I'll try to get some pictures posted - we have a zillion!

We spent all 52 days sleeping on board -almost every night swinging on the hook - many at anchorages all by ourselves (if you don't count the bears). We did hole up at Ketchikan for three days waiting for weather to cross Dixon..

Mac
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to butt in on this thread, but when we saw Mac and Linda at Princess Louisa Inlet (on their way home), they looked relaxed and satisfied. You could tell that they were very much at home on the tug. The boat received plenty of admiring looks from others on the dock, too.

You can see their Thule storage on top, too.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

TimOb

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Honu Kai
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Thanks for the trip report - sounds like a fantastic trip that we plan to make soon.

Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: