The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Spot Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Spot Lights Reply with quote

Several of us have spotlights mounted somewhere on board, and even more have hand held units. It would be interesting to hear discussions of how and where any remote spotlights have been mounted, including the reasons for chosing the particular type of light and the mounting location.

Joe -

I was looking over your freshly posted anchor/windlass photos (thanks for those - great shots), and I noticed your nifty spotlight installation. I have a remote spotlight that I want to get mounted somehow, but have been waiting to figure out where I want it. It looks like the choice you made provides the best for forward and either side lighting, with zero glare from the bow rail. (The likelihood of glare off the rail is what keeps me from mounting the light on the roof, which would otherwise be my first choice.)

Does the light unit ever obstruct your view or get in the way? Have you had any second thoughts or regrets about putting it there? I don't see the wires in the picture, did you run them through the rail tube?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike- Yes, the primary reason for mounting it up on the bow pulpit is to keep it from reflecting light off the rails. There's a small flat stainless plate welded across the front of the curved part of the top rail. The wires are run down through the rail tube. The light doersn't obstruct my view much at all as it is up above everything down on the water as viewed from the helm. It works great with the remote controls. Thanks for the compliments. I edited out the errors! Joe

Mike- Some other thoughts.

although I still think the remote spotlight mounted up on top is the best single solution, here are some other thoughts.

For a "non-aimable" or fixed set of lights, the barnegat lights would be another good addition. They mount in the side of the hull just below the gunnels right behind the bow, one on each side. They have a housing that is cut at an angle to accomodate mounting the light forward facing while remaing flush with the hull.

The handheld units that plug into a cigarette lighter/accessory plug are very bring and very easy to handle out the window and are adequate for most work. The real test, of course, is wjen you're searcing for something like a buoy in otherwise total darkness and the rail reflection blinds you.

Another approach would be to put fixed flood lights on top of the cabin. These would work great for docking or beaching at night where the object you're l;ooking for is large and close by and the reflections don't appear as bring compared to the large illuminated subject. I know I'm going to moumnt some of these to light up the area behind the boat for night fishing, maneuvering, etc. Perhaps they could be mounted on a swiveling post put into a flag staff mounting so they could be used both ways as well as sideways, should the need ever occur. Joe.

I have been thinking about a spot light solution and sure like the look of the barnegat lights. Any idea who may sell them? I couldn't find much on the web.

Michael (Clara Mae)

Don't know about that brand but www.westmarine.com has some similiar docking lights in their catalog. Those would look pretty awsome and be mighty functionable, I would worry about whittling a large hole in the hull, wonder what that does to the structural integrity?........just a thought

Structurally I would say they would have no impact considering the size. Not to mention they are stainless and if installed correctly, become part of the structure. Thanks for the link.

Michael

I've been comming home after dark on the last few fishing trips and have done some research on lighting also so here's my 2 cents.
It takes a lot of light to be useful on the water I have a RAM 70,000 candle power rail mount and a 250,000 candle power hand held both are spot lights that use a sealed beam and 12V lighter power.
The 70,000 CP unit is marginal at best I like the rail mount but it's just not enough light. The 250,000 CP hand held gives you some reach out to say 30 yards before it washes out.
When I looked into hull mounted docking lights one artical I read pointed out on small boats applications you may not have enough seperation between the lights so you end up with a very cross eyed light aim. This would be an issue with the sharp angle of the CD bow unless the lights have an adjuster (with lots of adjustment) or you mounted them futher back on the hull.
What I would recommend is to do your own test prior to making a big purchase. Get an inexpensive hand held see the glare issues for yourself, try it from various locations in the boat, and get a comfort level for how much light you need. It's uncanny how little light a combined 320,000 candle power (in my case) gives off. My chart plotter and radar keep me on the same general line comming home the light lets me see close in garbage in the water just prior to impact at 5 mph.
My end solution will be to adapt my 250,000 CP unit to a RAM style rail mount, not very high tech but easy to setup when needed and stow when not in use.

steve

Steve,

Tell me more about your rail mounted spot light. Did you rig it yourself or is this something you purchased?

Michael

Michael
If you have not been introduced to the RAM mounting system or seen their full line of products check out http://www.ram-mount.com/ for info on their 70,000 CP light see http://www.ram-mount.com/atvmotor.htm and scroll down the page.

What I'm going to try to use is a hose clamp style mount RAM-B-108B 'U' Shaped Strap Base and attach it to the handle of the light then a RAM-B-149 Stainless Steel U-Bolt / Arm Assembly for the rail.
The link below has pictures and pricing on all of RAM's mounting products

http://www.ram-mounts.com/accram/ram/ramparts.html

$45 mount, $25 light pricless on the river in the dark. Ordered the parts today and will post a picture when when I get it setup.

Had I found the full RAM product line a two years ago I would be using RAM pole holders and antenna mounts today (may switch the pole holders anyway). Very high quality product although a bit spendy.

steve

Thanks Steve. I was aware of Ram Mount but had missed the spot light set up which is a good one.

What I would really like is a wireless remote spot light temporarily mounted on the bow rail that could be stowed during the day (is that asking too much?)

Something like the Golight's Radioray 7900 would work well. The foot print on the Radiorays are 6" x 6". I just need to find a rail mount that is solid enough to take a little pounding yet is easy to put on and take off. What do you think?

Michael

Those are nice lights Michael did not see a weight spec. but I doubt that they are more than 5 or 6 lbs. I think it's a great idea, did a quick look at the GPS city RAM componets and saw a RAM 235U 1.5" ball with a double ubolt base they have a large selection of 1.5" ball to flat plate mounts should be able to find one that would be easy to adapt to the base of the light and I think there are 3 sizes of arms available to make the connection with. It would be plenty strong enough to hold the light and all that remains when you dismount is the rail mount ball. Lazy man power would be to run it through the helm window and use that outlet or get fancy and install one by the windless somehow.
May rethink my setup at a later date maybe I could rig the kicker tiller extender as a remote ;)
Nice pics of the Clare Mae good looking boat. You have a fuel flow meter? curious what you burn at say 18 mph cruise with the Honda my Yamaha 115 (2-stroke)sucks about 8 gph at that speed with three people and full load of fuel and water. I tend to average between 2 and 2.5 mpg. overall.

steve

Michael I went to West Marine on my lunch today and while wandering the isles I came across a Golight, the box was taped close so could not look at the mount but they can't be over 4 lbs. Price was $130.00 far less than some of the other RC lights.

My mount parts shipped from GPS city (ordered yesterday) Frist time I have ordered from them but next day order filling and shipping is impressive.

Good luck with your project I may go the same route and supplement or replace my side mount lights with a center mounted Golight in the near future.

steve

Two years ago, I mounted the Go-Light referred to in message 11 of this thread on top of my 16' Cruiser and I am quite pleased with it. If you look at the "Sea Shift" pix, I'm sure you'll find a picture of it.
Dave S.

After looking around some more, the Golight Radioray Model 2100 might be a perfect "roof-top" fit for me. The 12" stanchion would give me the temporary mount I want without having to string a power cord each time I use it. The stanchion would also give me the clearance I need above my radar dome to allow mounting the light on the roof.

The down side is they apparently don't have a similar model without the nav lights. I would likely take those off. I am also concerned about the 12" stanchion and stanchion base being stout enough to hold up in a pounding sea with this 6 to 8 lb light on top of it.

I've been in a couple of places to take a look, but so far no one has had it in stock. Has anyone seen one of these first hand?

Thanks,
Michael (Clara Mae)

Well after reading a bit about roof-mounted spot lights and glare, I have ordered Golight's Radioray 7900 . I plan to marry it with the same Magma rail clip that holds their cleaning/cutting boards place it on the forward bow rail when used. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Michael (Clara Mae)

Has anyone tried using dull tape on the inside of the rails or maybe somehow dulling the polish or painting to reduce the glare on the inside of the rails? It might work but it could be high maintanence.

Mr. Fisherman- A post quite a while ago on the D-Dog site stated that someone had found out by accident that covering the bow pulpit rails with black cloth at night worked to stop the reflections. Later they improved on the idea by covering the rails with black plastic split water pipe insulation when they were anticipating using the light that was mounted on the cabin top. So this kind of approach apparently works for the occasional user, but it sounds a bit inconvenient if you use your light frequently. Joe

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea... Maybe I could find som conduit that is the right diameter and cut it so that it snaps on.
I guess that I don't need to worry about it till I get a spot light, and that will have to wait till I get my durned motor fixed.
Thanks for dredging that up though. I am sure I'm not the only one looking for a solution.
I just love this place...

Take the pulpit off and have it matte black powder coated. Will look
high tech and not reflect much light.

-- Chuck

Posted a few pictures (page 2 shearwater album) of the RAM mount for my hand held spotlight and the RAM light from RAM. The mount for the handheld is great, fits like it was made for it. Overall the system is very tight and stable no movement at all once in place and and aimed, easy to remove stow,or mount when needed. If I make any adjustment it will be to move the mount down the rail as far as it can go this will get rid of the small amount of glare there is.

stevej

Michael,

I'm also looking at the GoLight with the 12" stanchion. My intent would be to shorten the mast (by cutting the tube, then replacing the fitting) to the point that I could just reach under the base of the light to reach the receptacle on the cabin roof. That should reduce somewhat it's vulnerability to wind and boat motion. I'd also disable the nav lights by removing the bulb(s). Unless someone convinces me to do otherwise, I'll probably go ahead with that plan by early spring when I pull the boat out of storage.

Richard on TK Grand

Richard,

I received the GoLight Radioray 7900 I ordered and am really please with it. The suction cup mount is quite amazing. It holds fast just about anywhere, including on top of my radar dome. If the glare is too much, I plan to stick with my rail-mount plans.

The remote works extremely well too. Whichever model you go with, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Michael

Is there any reason the GoLight with the 12" stanchion can't have the red and green lenses removed, clear substituted, and serve as the required steaming light?

Would require a stern light, but the vertical separation requirement for small motor boats between the side lights and steaming light isn't very much as I recall. The distance is probably OK between the side lights and the the light on the GoLight stanchion.

Would make a nice, clean setup with only one stick on the cabin roof.

-- Chuck

Chuck,
The foreward masthead white light(steaming light) must be one meter(39.4") higher than the side lights(red & green). This is per the US Coast Guard.

Larry

Thankx, 1m is the distance I recalled but couldn't find a reference.

Is there enough separation with a 12" stantion on the roof?

-- Chuck

Michael,
I'd be very careful about relying on the "suction mount" of the Go Light. When I first purchased my Go Light, I mounted the light via the suction only one night. The next morning, when I checked it, there was no suction and the light was "free wheeling". I then bolted the base plate that comes with the light onto the top of the cabin.
Dave S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: