The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Power options for 22 cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al and judy

City/Region: Kasilof
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Judy Lynn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Power options for 22 cruiser Reply with quote

As we ponder our purchase options I'm always interested in learning from others about their reasons for certain choices--especially power. Power is one subject I have been trying to learn as much as possible about to make an educated decision----you all know the drill: single, twin, kicker etc.! My concern is about OVER power. My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is the 22 cruiser is certified by the factory for 100hp. What are the ramifications to the hull warranty and possible insurance problems by placing more horsepower on the hull than its certified for. Anybody have first hand knowledge on this subject Question

Factory guys---what do you say Question Question

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al and judy-

There are many thread topics that deal with this topic in one way or another under Outboards and Sysems.

Here are the basics:

The original Classic CD-22 (c. 1980) was designed for a 70 hp 2-cycle outboard of about 250 lbs.

The CD-22 Cruiser, first produced in 1987, was certified for 90 hp max.

The max hp was raised to 100 a few years later, about 2000.

This was raised to 115 hp a year or two ago.

Next set of basics:

70/75 hp will plane the boat, and is perfectly adequate for most normal loads at sea level to a few thousand feet in elevation. Yields 26-28 mph usually.

90 or 100 hp will give you more margin for heavy loads and accomodating elevation changes. Yields 28-32 mph usually.

115 hp is usually not needed at all, but if you'll usually be operating at 5000 feet or more and with full loads, may be useful. If you opt for this, get a motor with electronic fuel injection because the computer automatically adjusts fuel/air mixtures for the elevation/conditions. Engines with carburetors need to have their jets replaced to provide a leaner mixture for the thinner air. When going back down to sea level, the jets have to be changed back or the then too lean mixture will cause overheated engine failure.

Insurance issues:

Here things get a little fuzzy, because of the different companies, procedures, and policies involved, but some generalizations are possible:

The insurance company may or may not know the maximum hp allowed by the engine manufacturer, but will ask how many the motor provides. You may send up a red flag with a larger engine, particularly if the insurance company knows it's beyond the rating. If so, plan on paying for it or even being denied coverage.

THE BIG CAVEAT here is usually stated thus:

What will happen if you 1) have a big injury/liability producing accident, 2) it's allegedly your fault, and 3) the injured party's lawyers find out you were driving a boat with a "hot rod" motor with more than the maximum hp rating??? How do you like your(own) dead meat roasted, Sir?

There's even another dimension to this, which is how maximum HP ratings are determined by the manufacturer and the suggested guidelines used by the Coat Guard. Check this out: Maximum HP Ratings

Generally, this is not one of those topics that yelds simple, agreed upon answers. Others may want to add their own two cents or perspectives, but it is fairly easy to say that the C-Dorys in general

1) do not need a lot of hp to perform well

2) do not respond well to high end hp ratios (get squirley)

3] are definitely not Hot Rod type boats. If you want one, there are much better boats for this type of lifestyle.

(I saw a new world record of 258 mph in the quarter mile in the IHBA Nitro Nationals here at Red Bluff last June!)

Hope this begins to answer your questions!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two excellent sources for understanding hp maximums:

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/engines/engines/more-power-to-you-50851.html

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/articledetail.html?lid=2902

..and straight from the "horses (Coast Guard) mouth":
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/julqtr/33cfr183.53.htm

Weight differences in outboards have been discussed here on other threads.
eg: the Evinrude E-tec 200 (60 degree) 25" weighs less (427 lbs) then the 150 Honda (485 lbs).

Since insurance and liability would be MY primary concern, this is probably the best advice..from the above post:
How do you like your(own) dead meat roasted, Sir?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: