The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Reviews of the new Ranger 21EC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmadson

City/Region: PORT LUDLOW
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reviews of the new Ranger 21EC Reply with quote

i am considering purchasing the new 21EC. I would like to hear the thoughts from anone who has purchased this boat. Specifically, is there enough room for a couple to enjoy a night or three on board? What is your performance data with the 21EC? How does the hull handle rough water. What options are essential, nice to have and ones that are not worth the money. What do you expect the resale value to be in the future? Is this boat appropriate for the Puget Sound in WA. Any other ideas or thoughts that you have about this new model? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU TIME AND THOUGHTS!!!!! Xmas Tongue
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reviews of the new Ranger 21EC Reply with quote

i am considering purchasing the new 21EC. I would like to hear the thoughts from anone who has purchased this boat.

Specifically, is there enough room for a couple to enjoy a night or three on board?

Straight answer: If one sleeps out in the cockpit. Funny answer: Have you heard of a menage-a- trois? (sp?)

What is your performance data with the 21EC?

Will defer on this, but know the numbers are as economical as you'll ever get!!!

How does the hull handle rough water?

Dusty (our timeless Ancient Mariner) says he knows tof three or four folks who take their 21's to Alaska cruising every year from Puget Sound. Enough said?

What options are essential, nice to have and ones that are not worth the money.

Defer to owners comments. (We don't hear much from them, too bad.)

What do you expect the resale value to be in the future?

Almost as good as it gets! Probaably as good as a C-Dory, or almost as good, but somewhat hard to determine because of the small numbers of sales reported to us.

Is this boat appropriate for the Puget Sound in WA.

Yep! If Alaska is OK, PS is a piece of cake!

Any other ideas or thoughts that you have about this new model? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU TIME AND THOUGHTS!!!!!

HTH!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ECHOE14

City/Region: south bay, los angeles!
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: NEEANDA
Photos: NEEANDA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love sea wolf's RESPONSE!! LOL that was great!!
tuggin'

City/Region: Boca Raton
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Tuggin' Aweigh
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

We have owned many, many boats and even though we just purchased a 2007 R-25 Tug, our favorite so far has to be the R-21 (2004) that we owned just prior to the new tug.

I will first say that the comments that I will make about the R-21 and its capabilities would only be surpased by the R-21EC for that type of boat.

We spend many long weekends (4- 5 nights) aboard our little "Tuglet" and we found that as long as we anchored or tied up where we could catch the breeze from the forward hatch, we could sleep well. A couple of times in mid summer in South Florida we were restless because it was hot and the breeze went away! The EC boat has more overhead hatches which I thought about installing on my base boat but never got around to it.

We would motor at most times at 1800 rpm on the Yanmar 30 hp engine and would cut along at 5 to 7 knots. On the R-21 at this speed we were burning about 2 pints per hour! The R-21EC will have better economy and should have more "sweet spots" due to slight hull changes. I have run the boat at 3000 rpm for some periods of time but really, whats the hurry! The boat will jump up and get itself and you out of harms way but we like the slower putting along.

I think that THE most amazing thing about the little tug is its ease of handling. My slip is positioned where I would often have strong winds usually hitting the port side upon docking and strong tidal currents could be from either direction. The rudder action on these little boats is nothing short of amazing! Once you get accustomed to the way she handles and learn to anticipate the effects, you quickly realize that there is no reason to ever think about installing a thruster. From a dead stop, by using full rudder and strong burst of throttle, I could turn her in one and a half of her length! That is without hitting reverse once!

I have taken Tuglet up and down the Intracoastal from Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale with no problems. I have taken her out through three of the inlets, one of which most people hate. Down here you have to keep your eyes out for idiots that seem to thrive on big sport fish type of tanks that do not know what a "no wake" zone is. The boat has no problem with these or any other wave as long as you steer into them.

Resale on these boats beat the percentage of loss / gain compared to any other boat that we have sold. In honest fact we did not loose a penny from 2004 to sale in November 2006! Well except that I had to purchase another trailer as someone borrowed mine without asking or returning it.

We are now getting used to the R-25 (Tuggin Aweigh) and just hope that we love this one as much as the 21! If you go ahead in getting one, you will not regret the decision and Jeff Messmer and John Livingston are two of the best in the business. You will find them direct, honest and reliable.

If you have other specefic questons feel free to email me directly or phone.

Best wishes with a great boat.

Bob

2425 Maya Palm Drive, West
Boca Raton, FL 33432
[email protected]
(561) 210-8120 office direct
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feeling is that 3 aboard would be tight for any prolonged cruising. I did discuss with one owner the possibility of extending the cabin aft to have a galley and possiable head. It would be interesting to see if anyone does this.

I have been out in areas of the Puget Sound where I would not feel comfortable in an open cocpit boat with low freeboard. In Calm to moderate weather it would be fine. So one would want to pick their days.

I agree that the CR 21 will hold its value. This boat has been around for some time before the current C ranger company was formed and has been a good value.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: cabin extension Reply with quote

Bob, I may be the owner that you refered to on the cabin extension. My plans are drawn up and I have held on starting the project until my new home on the Tennessee river is completed. With the home started my budget will not allow a trade to something like a Cd-25 so I must do the addition on the R-21. The new top is in place and the extension will be under the top. The top is shown in my photo album. I am having a ball on the St. Johns river as other pictures show. Wiht your experience I am sure you have run the St. Johns but if not you should run down.
Ron

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob....I agree that 2 are comfortable...3 is a crowd ... I also saw that full cover that was on the boat displayed at the SBS ...and loved it... made the stern much more liveable... it makes up into a stern room...nice.

Slow... it's economical but really slow... takes forever to get somewhere...without an auto pilot I would go crazy... a 22' C-Dory is a much better boat for just fun boating............. plus going places

I like the 25' tug but that's kinda out of my range...

Joel
SEA3PO
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron

Who made the cockpit hardtop? What are the details? Great job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: